Does the true God have a body of flesh and bone?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Revelations won
Sage

Post #1

Post by Revelations won »

According to scripture God and all of us including Christ have a spirit body.

According to the scriptures all of us including Jesus Christ are the literal spirit children of God the father.

According to the New Testament Christs body was crucified and killed. His spirit body however was never dead, for between the death of his physical body his spirit body went unto the spirits in prison and preached repentance unto those who had previously died. This was done before his glorious resurrection.

So do we all including Christ have an immortal body of flesh and bone after our resurrection?

historia
Prodigy

Re: Does the true God have a body of flesh and bone?

Post #2

Post by historia »

[Replying to Revelations won in post #1]

I'm going to refrain from commenting on some of your premises here and just address your question:
Revelations won wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:03 pm
So do we all including Christ have an immortal body of flesh and bone after our resurrection?
That is essentially the historic Christian view.

The Catechism para. 645 says:
Catechism of the Catholic Church wrote:
By means of touch and the sharing of a meal, the risen Jesus establishes direct contact with his disciples. He invites them in this way to recognize that he is not a ghost and above all to verify that the risen body in which he appears to them is the same body that had been tortured and crucified, for it still bears the traces of his Passion (cf. Lk 24:30, 39-40, 41-43; Jn 20:20, 27; 21:9, 13-15.)

Yet at the same time this authentic, real body possesses the new properties of a glorious body: not limited by space and time but able to be present how and when he wills; for Christ's humanity can no longer be confined to earth, and belongs henceforth only to the Father's divine realm (cf. Mt 28:9, 16-17; Lk 24:15, 36; Jn 20:14, 17, 19, 26; 21:4). For this reason too the risen Jesus enjoys the sovereign freedom of appearing as he wishes: in the guise of a gardener or in other forms familiar to his disciples, precisely to awaken their faith.
Paragraph 999 says this will also apply to all of us.

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

Revelations won wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:03 pm Does the true God have a body of flesh and bone?
Bible says about God:

Being then the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold, or silver, or stone, engraved by art and design of man.
Acts 17:29
God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24
He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8
We know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and he who remains in love remains in God, and God remains in him.
1 John 4:16

For we are God's fellow workers. You are God's farming, God's building. According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another builds on it. But let each man be careful how he builds on it. For no one can lay any other foundation than that which has been laid, which is Jesus Christ…
…Don’t you know that you are a temple of God, and that God’s Spirit lives in you?

1 Cor. 3:9-11, 16

So, God is a spirit that can dwell in many people. If God dwells in me, my body is God's body. And if I do God's will, my actions are God's actions. Yet, I am not the God myself.

Revelations won
Sage

Post #4

Dear historia,

Thank you for your well presented reply. I suspect there are a very many who are unaware of the sources underpinning your response. I also think it is a very cool way in which the resurrected Christ acted in a challenge and manner which must have been very dynamic and attention givien to dispel the doubts and misunderstanding relating the literal resurrection of the body.

This also illustrates that we have a spirit body and a physical body. The spirit body and the physical body are separated at death, but are again reunited permanently by the power of the resurrection.

Best regards,
RW

Revelations won
Sage

Post #5

Dear 1213,

Thank you for your response.

As you pointed out in 1Cor. 3:16
Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

Yes, I agree with what the Bible teaches here. It makes very clear that God’s spirit can swell in us. His body does not dwell in us, but his spirit can.

The scriptures make it very clear that all of us including Jesus have a physical body with a spirit body within.

Christ’s physical body was killed, but not his spirit body for between the time of death and the resurrection his spirit body went and preached unto those who lived in the days of Noah as attested by the Bible:

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah
, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

We are also taught in the Bible that Christ will receive ALL that the Father hath. This of necessity would also include a glorious resurrected body of flesh and bone.

So the mere fact that god has a spirit body does not preclude the fact that the Father also has a body of flesh and bone as tangible as man’s as Christ has.

Kind regards,
RW

onewithhim
Savant

Post #6

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to Revelations won in post #1]

The Scriptures do not say anywhere that we all have a spirit body. The "spirit" that we have is the breath of God that keeps us alive. Jesus is a spirit person now, yes, and God is a Spirit. (John 4:24) But we humans will never be spirits, unless we are anointed to go to heaven and rule with Christ. The majority of us will be their subjects, which they will guide in making the earth a paradise once more. We will enjoy physical life on this earth, forever. (Psalm 37:29)

Further, Jesus was DEAD for three days. His spirit didn't go anywhere because he didn't HAVE a spirit body living within him. When he died, the spirit of God left him and because it wasn't keeping him alive, he truly was dead. He did not go anywhere during those three days. If he wasn't dead then we are still in our sins without hope. You say he wasn't dead.

When he went to "the spirits in prison" that was AFTER he was resurrected on the third day, and the spirits he saw were the demons that disobeyed in the days of Noah. (I Peter 3:18 and 19) Read the account carefully and you will see that he didn't visit dead people, but demons that were subsequently consigned to "Tartarus," which is not an actual place but it is a debased spiritual condition from which they did not warrant the way out. (2Peter 2:4) To say that God has a body of flesh and bone, you are minimizing God. He is glorious, yes, and He is a Spirit (John 4:24) and is too magnificent to be contained in a body of flesh and bone. Flesh cannot inherit life in heaven as it says in I Corinthians 15:50. Please don't twist the scriptures. To say that He can't have a body of "flesh and blood" but can have a body of "flesh and bone" is really a stretch. Either way, flesh cannot inherit the Kingdom in heaven.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

1213 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:20 am
So, God is a spirit that can dwell in many people. If God dwells in me, my body is God's body. ...
But did Jesus not say that God is in heaven? Does scripture not say even "the heavens of the heavens" cannot contain Him, how then can your body ?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Savant

Post #8

Post by 1213 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:18 pm But did Jesus not say that God is in heaven?
Does scripture not say even "the heavens of the heavens" cannot contain Him, how then can your body ?
I would like to see where it is said "the heavens of the heavens cannot contain Him". But, Bible tells that Jesus and his disciples are the temple of God and God dwells in them.

For in him all the fullness of the Deity dwells bodily,
Col. 2:9
Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I tell you, I speak not from myself; but the Father who lives in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Fa-ther, and the Father in me; or else believe me for the very works’ sake.
John 14:10-11
…Don’t you know that you are a temple of God, and that God’s Spirit lives in you?

Savant

Post #9

Post by 1213 »

Revelations won wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:53 am So the mere fact that god has a spirit body does not preclude the fact that the Father also has a body of flesh and bone as tangible as man’s as Christ has.
Sorry, I don't think there is any scripture in Bible that supports the idea that God has a body of flesh and bone as tangible as man’s (unless we think the bodies of Jesus and his disciples are also God's bodies).

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Post by JehovahsWitness »

1213 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:41 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:18 pm But did Jesus not say that God is in heaven?
Does scripture not say even "the heavens of the heavens" cannot contain Him, how then can your body ?
I would like to see where it is said "the heavens of the heavens cannot contain Him". But, Bible tells that Jesus and his disciples are the temple of God and God dwells in them.

For in him all the fullness of the Deity dwells bodily,
Col. 2:9
Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I tell you, I speak not from myself; but the Father who lives in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Fa-ther, and the Father in me; or else believe me for the very works’ sake.
John 14:10-11
1 KINGS 8:27 - New King James Version

“But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens cannot contain You. How much less this temple which I have built!
MATTHEW 6:9 - American Standard Version

... Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name
How do you explain ALL the scriptures in a way that renders them ALL true. Can you do that? That is the difference between nearly having biblical truth and having truth, a strict adherence to interpretation that harmonizes all scriptures rendering them all true. An interpretation (God literally lives inside different human bodies) which renders other scriptures untrue, (God lives in heaven with His angels and no building can contain him) cannot be correct.

Faith in the God and the bible means believing that a correct (read harmonious interpretation) must be possible.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8