Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

MissKate13
Sage

What must I do to be saved?

Post #1

Post by MissKate13 »

What must I do to be saved?

Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 16:30)
Repent (Luke 13:3,5)
Confess Jesus is Lord before men (Matthew 10:32)
Be immersed for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38)
Be faithful until death (Revelation 2:10)
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

2ndpillar2
Sage

Re: What must I do to be saved?

Post #2

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

MissKate13 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:46 am What must I do to be saved?

"Endure to the end" (Mt 24:13). Which is to say, no one is "saved", such as escapes/survives (Joel 2:31-32), with respect to the "day of the LORD", the great tribulation, until the "end". As for "repenting", according to Matthew 3:10, the Pharisees could confess their sins and repent, but if they didn't produce good fruit, they would be cut down and thrown into the fire. As for the "kingdom of heaven" it comes at the end of the age, at the time "immediately after" the "tribulation" (Mt 24:29-31). As for Paul, and his writings, he was a false prophet, and Sower of the tare seeds, which produces tares, who are looking to be gathered at the end of the age and thrown into the fire (Mt 13:30).

onewithhim
Savant

Post #3

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to 2ndpillar2 in post #2]
You lost me when you said that Paul is a false Christian. (Everything else you said is true.) Paul never sowed the tares. It was the Devil who did that, using the false religions of the world and their priests and ministers.

The list of what to do to get saved is right on. Yet something is left out that Jesus himself referred to. He said: "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 5:16, New American Standard Bible)

Jesus' brother James said: "What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him?...Are you willing to recognize, you foolish fellow, that faith without works is useless?...For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead." (James 2:14,20,26, NASB)

That is in no way saying that works alone can save anyone. Works come AFTER faith. They go hand-in-hand. James said: "I will show you my faith BY my works." (2:18, NASB)

Did JWs make that up?

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

You missed these.

Not many Christians like this one:
Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor (Luke 18:18-23)

Here's a double header:
Confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead (Romans 10:9)

This one sounds most unpleasant:
Be delivered to Satan for the destruction of the flesh (1 Corinthians 5:5)

It's not clear if these are multiple choice or if you have to do all of them. Quite worrisome!

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

The wage of sin is death. And to save you from the judgment, it is enough to say, you sins are forgiven.

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord
Romans 6:23

Jesus gave his disciples right to forgive sins. And by that right I can say to you, your sins are forgiven.

If you forgive anyone’s sins, they have been forgiven them. If you retain anyone’s sins, they have been retained.”
John 20:23

… "Neither do I condemn you. Go your way. From now on, sin no more."
John 8:11

And so easily you are saved. I could demand you to believe, or to be baptized, but it is not really necessary to demand it in this case.

But you should understand that forgiveness is only like giving a new beginning. Jesus said after forgiving, sin no more. Forgiveness is not useful, if you continue in sin.

Afterward Jesus found him in the temple, and said to him, “Behold, you are made well. Sin no more, so that nothing worse happens to you.”
John 5:14

Bible promises eternal life only for righteous. Therefore there must happen a change in person for to get the gift of eternal life.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Matt. 25:46
Jesus answered him, “Most certainly, I tell you, unless one is born anew, he can’t see God’s Kingdom.” Nicodemus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb, and be born?” Jesus answered, “Most certainly I tell you, unless one is born of water and spirit, he can’t enter into God’s Kingdom. That which is born of the flesh is flesh. That which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Don’t marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born anew.’
John 3:3-7
But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become God’s children, to those who believe in his name: who were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
John 1:12-13
It is the spirit who gives life. The flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and are life.
John 6:63
He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed: that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn’t commit sin, because his seed remains in him, and he can’t sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn’t do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn’t love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10
“For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel. After those days,” says the Lord; “I will put my laws into their mind, I will also write them on their heart. I will be their God, and they will be my people. They will not teach every man his fellow citizen, and every man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for all will know me, from their least to their greatest. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness. I will remember their sins and lawless deeds no more.
Heb. 8:10-12 (Jer. 31:31-34)

Mae von H
Sage

Post #6

Post by Mae von H »

One thing you lack, surrender your life to the Lord Jesus and follow Him. The above is more or less, religion. Surrendering is not.

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #7

Post by Eddie Ramos »

During the day of salvation, everything you have listed here is considered a work of righteousness which is obedience to the commandments of God. And the Bible teaches us that none were ever saved by their own works of righteousness.

Titus 3:5 (KJV 1900)
Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

To believe in Jesus Christ is a commandment of the Bible, therefore, obedience to this commandment is a work of righteousness which could never have saved, but rather was a result of being saved.

1 John 3:23 (KJV 1900)
And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

Repentance is also defined by the Bible as a work.

Jonah 3:10 (KJV 1900)
And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

But even repentence is something that was granted by God.

Lamentations 5:21 (KJV 1900)
Turn thou us unto thee, O LORD, and we shall be turned;
Renew our days as of old.

As I review all the answers provided, they are all works based doctrines which could have never saved anyone. The biggest problem I see is that there is a lack of understanding in being able to differentiate between the spiritual and the physical. Salvation is a spiritual event.

John 3:6 (KJV 1900)
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

John 3:8 (KJV 1900)
The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

In other words, a physical act of obedience on our part to the gospel does not bring about a spiritual result of salvation. Before salvation we are spiritually DEAD individuals. That would be like the old "check cashing" analogy that states that God wrote everyone a check and endorsed it (with the blood of Christ), and all that's needed is for each individual to sign the back of the check and cash it (make the choice) and poof, you have been saved. But let's hand that check to Lazarus who's dead in the grave and wait for him to cash it. Well, that's absurd right? Of course it is because he's dead. And that's how God typifies spiritually dead people, like Lazarus who was physicaly dead and completely unable to do anything to obey any commandment from God, UNTIL God first brought him to life. This is true salvation.

Every act of obedience after God has brought a dead soul back to everlasting life is a result of becoming saved. Now a person can believe the way God requires it, now a person can confess, now a person can truly repent in a way that pleases God because that person is a new creature and perfect in the eyes of God who looks not at the outward man but at the heart.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #8

Post by onewithhim »

Tcg wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:10 pm

You missed these.

Not many Christians like this one:
Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor (Luke 18:18-23)

Here's a double header:
Confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead (Romans 10:9)

This one sounds most unpleasant:
Be delivered to Satan for the destruction of the flesh (1 Corinthians 5:5)

It's not clear if these are multiple choice or if you have to do all of them. Quite worrisome!

Tcg
There isn't a Christian on this planet that has sold all his possessions and given the proceeds to the poor. I don't think that it applies to us today. We give to the poor, but selling all that we have is counter-productive. We would then be poor ourselves.

The second one is a given. That goes along with the first on MissKate's list above. That one is well known.

The "most unpleasant" one on your list is not about Christians in good standing. It's about someone who has committed a grievous sin that warrants disfellowshiping (I Corinthians 5:13). It's not something that a faithful Christian would want to experience.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #9

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

onewithhim wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:13 pm [Replying to 2ndpillar2 in post #2]
You lost me when you said that Paul is a false Christian. (Everything else you said is true.) Paul never sowed the tares. It was the Devil who did that, using the false religions of the world and their priests and ministers.

The list of what to do to get saved is right on. Yet something is left out that Jesus himself referred to. He said: "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 5:16, New American Standard Bible)

Jesus' brother James said: "What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him?...Are you willing to recognize, you foolish fellow, that faith without works is useless?...For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead." (James 2:14,20,26, NASB)

That is in no way saying that works alone can save anyone. Works come AFTER faith. They go hand-in-hand. James said: "I will show you my faith BY my works." (2:18, NASB)

Did JWs make that up?
The "devil" sowed his tare seed next to the "good" "message" of the "son of man", in the same field (NT book), as you say by way of false religions and their ministers, and the foremost false minister/prophet is Paul, who a wolve dressed in sheep's clothing, and provides a wide path (gospel of grace) to destruction. Paul's false church/house is built on sand and will "fall" (Mt 7:2) at the "end of the age", when the "tares" will be gathered and thrown into the fire (Mt 13:30). Until that time, they are protected, less the wheat is disturbed (Mt 13:29). As for the Works demonstrated by James, the "faith" was shown by the "works". Works are an action based on faith, and without the works, there was no faith shown, and according to Mt 3, the faithless person is looking at being thrown into the fire.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #10

Post by onewithhim »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:06 pm
onewithhim wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:13 pm [Replying to 2ndpillar2 in post #2]

Did JWs make that up?
The "devil" sowed his tare seed next to the "good" "message" of the "son of man", in the same field (NT book), as you say by way of false religions and their ministers, and the foremost false minister/prophet is Paul, who a wolve dressed in sheep's clothing, and provides a wide path (gospel of grace) to destruction. Paul's false church/house is built on sand and will "fall" (Mt 7:2) at the "end of the age", when the "tares" will be gathered and thrown into the fire (Mt 13:30). Until that time, they are protected, less the wheat is disturbed (Mt 13:29). As for the Works demonstrated by James, the "faith" was shown by the "works". Works are an action based on faith, and without the works, there was no faith shown, and according to Mt 3, the faithless person is looking at being thrown into the fire.
What kind of drivel is that about Paul? He taught exactly what Jesus taught, almost word for word. I don't understand what you have against Paul that you call him a false prophet. I stand by what I said in the previous post.