Moderator: Moderators

Masterblaster
Sage

Why did God choose Abraham?

Post #1

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello

'Why did God choose Abraham?'

The Abraham figure is central to Judaism, Islam and Christianity. I get the Judaism bit, I have no idea about Islam .

This man offering his son as sacrifice is a Christian attempt to steal a God, nothing else. It adds coherence to a folly, imho.

So ,how did God pick Abraham? Let us watch the Biblical Scholars, do their thing.

My opinion is that God picked Noah first! We are led to believe that God admits to an over reaction with the flood and he decides to cut an apologetic deal with humans through Abraham. The son sacrifice is the deal sealed, so to speak.

This trail leads to a very interesting segment of the Biblical tale...Genesis 6.

Some levels of Christian Orthodoxy can thrive on this strange place of Divine incestiousness and giants. Modern Christian thinkers pretend Genesis 6 is not there....but it is!

Genesis 6

Why did God choose Abraham?'
Last edited by Masterblaster on Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'Love God with all you have and love others in the same way.'

Masterblaster
Sage

Re: Why did God choose Abraham?

Post #2

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello

Genesis 6
"6 When human beings began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, 2 the sons of God saw that the daughters of humans were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. 3 Then the Lord said, “My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years.”
4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.
5 The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.” 8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord."

Enjoy!

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #3

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello

Nephilim?
My best guess for the Nephilim is that it is a reference to Neanderthals that was carried in oral tradition...the Sons of God is all yours. Why the distinction between the men and the women. Is it just primitive sexism or is it a reference to an ancient alien encounter, again carried in oral tradition. Where is Indiana Jones, when you need him?

Savant

Post #4

Post by 1213 »

Masterblaster wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:07 pm Why did God choose Abraham?'
I didn't find the answer directly from the Bible. But, I believe it is because Abraham is righteous.

And he believed in Jehovah. And He counted it to him for righteousness.
Gen. 15:6

Mae von H
Sage

Post #5

Post by Mae von H »

Masterblaster wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:07 pm Hello

'Why did God choose Abraham?'

The Abraham figure is central to Judaism, Islam and Christianity. I get the Judaism bit, I have no idea about Islam .

This man offering his son as sacrifice is a Christian attempt to steal a God, nothing else. It adds coherence to a folly, imho.

So ,how did God pick Abraham? Let us watch the Biblical Scholars, do their thing.

My opinion is that God picked Noah first! We are led to believe that God admits to an over reaction with the flood and he decides to cut an apologetic deal with humans through Abraham. The son sacrifice is the deal sealed, so to speak.

This trail leads to a very interesting segment of the Biblical tale...Genesis 6.

Some levels of Christian Orthodoxy can thrive on this strange place of Divine incestiousness and giants. Modern Christian thinkers pretend Genesis 6 is not there....but it is!

Genesis 6

Why did God choose Abraham?'
This is so far off it boggles the mind. But the usual accusing God of character faults it there. Sigh! I know christians will foolishly accept your conclusion as though it were a honest question rather than(like Jesus) correct wrong assumptions before answering so as to tell the truth. But I will give the obvious answer plainly said at the start. Abraham obeyed God.

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #6

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello Mae von H

You say - "This is so far off it boggles the mind. But the usual accusing God of character faults it there. Sigh! "

--------

Once again , accusation and indignation with nothing behind it. You talk about my attaching character faults to God. Take a look at your actual scripture..

Genesis 6
"5 The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them"

Michelangelo about the Sistine Chapel roof.

I hate this thing, the colours are gaudy and ugly. This is not what I had in mind at all. It gives the wrong message. I am sorry I took on with this sad fiasco. It is keeping me awake at night..
I am going out tomorrow to paint over the whole thing with grey emulsion and i am tossing the scaffolding, brushes and old paint into the skip.

A bad tradesman for ever blames his tools.

From Genesis 1 ,with the discipline problems God has with Adam and Eve, God is portrayed in a state of constant quandary. I didn't do this.
What is your issue with God, making it up as he goes along. That is the way life works.