Is Genesis Intended to Be a Reliable and Literal Account of Events, or Not?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Is Genesis Intended to Be a Reliable and Literal Account of Events, or Not?

Post #1

Post by POI »

The Tanager wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:42 pm He's writing poetically, but he's not writing poetically about the sun; he is talking about a fictional love. Just like Genesis isn't claiming to be a reliable guide on the order of creation. To treat them as such is the error, not the errors mistreating them as such fabricates.
I've spoken to many smart and well-read individuals on both ends of this topic question. After thousands of years, why is this topic still not settled? What IS the SIMPLE answer?

For Debate: Is Genesis meant to be reliable and literal, as it pertains to the ordering of events/etc, or not?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

2ndpillar2
Sage

Re: Is Genesis Intended to Be a Reliable and Literal Account of Events, or Not?

Post #2

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

POI wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:17 pm
The Tanager wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:42 pm He's writing poetically, but he's not writing poetically about the sun; he is talking about a fictional love. Just like Genesis isn't claiming to be a reliable guide on the order of creation. To treat them as such is the error, not the errors mistreating them as such fabricates.
I've spoken to many smart and well-read individuals on both ends of this topic question. After thousands of years, why is this topic still not settled? What IS the SIMPLE answer?

For Debate: Is Genesis meant to be reliable and literal, as it pertains to the ordering of events/etc, or not?
Like with Yeshua and his parables (Mt 13:13-14, Genesis is meant to be reliable, but in the form of parables, whereas only the righteous will be able to have insight (Daniel 12:10). The imagery of Genesis is key to understanding the physics of creation. That is why Newton relied on the bible to uncover the basics of science.

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:17 pm Is Genesis meant to be reliable and literal, as it pertains to the ordering of events/etc, or not?
I believe so.

William
Savant

Post #4

Post by William »

It is entirely up to the individual as to whether the stories are to be taken in a literal or figurative (or mix of both) sense.

Why do you ask?
The Vain Brain is meat headedness having no comprehension of the mind which uses it, refusing to hand over the helm to that mind and refusing to assume its placement as subordinate to the mind. Post #36

POI
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by POI »

William wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:53 pm It is entirely up to the individual as to whether the stories are to be taken in a literal or figurative (or mix of both) sense.
Gee, thanks William ;) What is THE answer and how do you know?
William wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:53 pm Why do you ask?
Because there exists a huge divide, and it would sure be nice to know if the author(s) of Genesis believed what they were writing about was actual reality, or not? Is there a way to know the author's intent?

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

POI
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by POI »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:13 am
POI wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:17 pm

Like with Yeshua and his parables (Mt 13:13-14, Genesis is meant to be reliable, but in the form of parables, whereas only the righteous will be able to have insight (Daniel 12:10). The imagery of Genesis is key to understanding the physics of creation. That is why Newton relied on the bible to uncover the basics of science.
1) Is anyone deemed 'righteous'?
2) How does one know if one is 'righteous'?
3) If some are 'righteous', what is the answer given by the ones who are deemed 'righteous'?
4) What exactly do you mean by, "that is why Newton relied on the bible to uncover the basics of science." ??
Last edited by POI on Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

POI
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:55 am
POI wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:17 pm Is Genesis meant to be reliable and literal, as it pertains to the ordering of events/etc, or not?
I believe so.
Thanks for answering the simple question. I have a follow up question. Assuming you took science courses in school, if/when you come across any parts which do not appear to align with any of the claim(s) in Genesis, how do you proceed? Do you just reject the scientific discovery, or other?

Further, what do you think the author of Genesis would say regarding some later scientific discoveries not aligning with some the claim(s) from Genesis? Would he ask that we ignore those discoveries, or other?
Last edited by POI on Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

[Replying to POI in post #5]
Is there a way to know the author's intent?
Perhaps you can employ the ouija device and ask, since the author has long departed. Otherwise, no there is not.
The Vain Brain is meat headedness having no comprehension of the mind which uses it, refusing to hand over the helm to that mind and refusing to assume its placement as subordinate to the mind. Post #36

POI
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by POI »

William wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:22 pm [Replying to POI in post #5]
Perhaps you can employ the ouija device, since the author has long departed. Otherwise, no there is not.
Hmm, do we also need the same "ouija device" to determine other parts of the Bible too? I mean, maybe claims to "Jesus's rising" is not actually meant to be literal either?

William
Savant

Post #10

Post by William »

POI wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:27 pm
William wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:22 pm [Replying to POI in post #5]
Perhaps you can employ the ouija device, since the author has long departed. Otherwise, no there is not.
Hmm, do we also need the same "ouija device" to determine other parts of the Bible too? I mean, maybe claims to "Jesus's rising" is not actually meant to be literal either?
My point is, any answers (including ones that you come up with) depend on ones' personal interpretation because the answer to your question cannot be answered by the actual author, here on this internet message board.