Omnipotence and Omniscience

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JoeMama
Apprentice

Omnipotence and Omniscience

Post #1

Post by JoeMama »

The allegedly all-knowing, all-powerful God has the knowledge and power to impart to all of human-kind a certain understanding and ability to achieve salvation, doesn't he?

So, why hasn't he yet done so?

Clownboat
Savant

Re: Omnipotence and Omniscience

Post #11

Post by Clownboat »

1213 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:45 am Funny thing is that according to the Bible, cowards go to hell. So, I don't see how fear would be the driving force of it's development.
This does not refute what I said about humans fearing what they don't understand which was the mechanism for imagining god concepts. I assume you cannot and so you offer this up as a distraction.
The problem with that is, religions usually lead to even more questions, whole debate sites are formed around those questions.
This does not address the observation that it is folly to pretend that one of these explanations (religions) is more relevant compared to another as they all stem from humans explaining the unknown.
Clownboat wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:55 pmEventually rulers found religions to be a useful tool to control the masses.
That is also interesting claim, if we consider that Christians were persecuted and killed in the beginning.
Violence is a sad side effect of most religions and their god concepts. Christianity is one of the worst offenders, but religions persecuting other religions is history, not evidence for anything.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by Purple Knight »

1213 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:55 am
JoeMama wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:53 pm The allegedly all-knowing, all-powerful God has the knowledge and power to impart to all of human-kind a certain understanding and ability to achieve salvation, doesn't he?

Why do you think He has not already done it?
Maybe he has and it's just being a good person. If it's any kind of ritual then he hasn't, since there's no ritual on earth that everybody knows.

Savant

Post #13

Post by 1213 »

Purple Knight wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:04 pm
1213 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:55 am
JoeMama wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:53 pm The allegedly all-knowing, all-powerful God has the knowledge and power to impart to all of human-kind a certain understanding and ability to achieve salvation, doesn't he?

Why do you think He has not already done it?
Maybe he has and it's just being a good person. If it's any kind of ritual then he hasn't, since there's no ritual on earth that everybody knows.
I think I have to explain what I said. To me the word salvation means, sins are forgiven. That is freely, people can't do anything to achieve that. It is not based on merits. It is offered freely for all people. And I think everyone has the ability to accept it. Some just don't want it. Nothing required for that.

But, forgiveness is obviously not very useful, if person after that continues to do bad things. That is why Jesus said, sin no more and taught about change in person. All that is possible for everyone, but not everyone wants it.

Savant

Post #14

Post by 1213 »

Clownboat wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:23 pm ...This does not refute what I said about humans fearing what they don't understand which was the mechanism for imagining god concepts.
Fear may be the reason to imagine some gods. But, I don't think it is reasonable to claim it would lead to situation where cowards go to hell. Why would a coward invent hell for himself?
Clownboat wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:23 pmthey all stem from humans explaining the unknown.
Sorry, I don't believe that.

All evidence points to that religions are formed around something real. For example people without much knowledge worship sticks and stones, or mother earth (=evolution). People who see a plane, may worship it:

https://guardian.ng/life/culture-lifest ... ip-planes/

There seems to be always some paragon or example, something that people have witnessed, that is the foundation of their religion, or beliefs.

Savant

Post #15

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:30 am ...I had never become aware that a lack of bravery was the arbiter for hell. Care to explain that?
Bible says the part of cowards is the fire lake. It is not explained why, but maybe it is just one sign of person not being righteous.

But for the cowardly, unbelieving, sinners, abominable, murder-ers, sexually immoral, sorcerers,{The word for "sorcerers" here also includes users of potions and drugs.} idolaters, and all liars, their part is in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death."
Rev. 21:8
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:30 amI also don't think much of the suggestion that discussion is not a good thing.
Where do you get the idea that discussion is not a good thing?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #16

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:13 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:30 am ...I had never become aware that a lack of bravery was the arbiter for hell. Care to explain that?
Bible says the part of cowards is the fire lake. It is not explained why, but maybe it is just one sign of person not being righteous.

But for the cowardly, unbelieving, sinners, abominable, murder-ers, sexually immoral, sorcerers,{The word for "sorcerers" here also includes users of potions and drugs.} idolaters, and all liars, their part is in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death."
Rev. 21:8
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:30 amI also don't think much of the suggestion that discussion is not a good thing.
When you said "The problem with that is, religions usually lead to even more questions, whole debate sites are formed around those questions."

The implication being that we should not discuss, but just believe. I guess the idea of revelations (apart from my idea that it is a subversive polemic looking for a god -inspired struggle against Rome). is that the cowardly would abandon Christianity under threat and not be willing to be punished for it. But that also suggests that they would do evil for the religion if called on just as in the OT. The problem has always been the tendency to do evil if it seems required by the religion.

But then, your remark above could be read as religions not being a good thing, but then we have irreligious theism, not Christianity.

Savant

Post #17

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:07 am
1213 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:13 am ...
When you said "The problem with that is, religions usually lead to even more questions, whole debate sites are formed around those questions."

The implication being that we should not discuss, but just believe. ..
I meant, the claim that religions are formed as an answer, is not logical, because they seem to lead to even more questions that needs answers. I don't mean that discussion is not good, it is only the evidence for that religions leads to even more questions.

Asking questions is not bad. I think people should ask more about everything.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #18

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:17 am

I meant, the claim that religions are formed as an answer, is not logical, because they seem to lead to even more questions that needs answers. I don't mean that discussion is not good, it is only the evidence for that religions leads to even more questions.

Well I agree with that, but the basic is basics - what can we rely on as validated so the questions move on? Religion provides nothing but faithclaims and denial of other beliefs.

"There are many religions, there is only one science".

We may ask about the ultimate unknowns and indeed the human problems, like evil, injustice and why films now have post - it notes instead of scripts, but science has provided the answers up to now (and the faithful never hesitate to help themselves to all the benefits while slagging science of (but then 'science' means something else to them ;) ) and have heavy doubts that supernatural speculations and even philosophy (such as the Hard Question and dualism) doesn't impress me as having an answer worth hearing, if at all and Theism is no answer, let alone waging about a particular Holy Book and its' god and religion as telling us anything valid.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #19

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:17 am

Well I agree with that, but the basic is basics - what can we rely on as validated so the questions move on? Religion provides nothing but faithclaims and denial of other beliefs.

"There are many religions, there is only one science".

We may ask about the ultimate unknowns and indeed the human problems, like evil, injustice and why films now have post - it notes instead of scripts, but science has provided the answers up to now (and the faithful never hesitate to help themselves to all the benefits while slagging science of (but then 'science' means something else to them ;) ) and have heavy doubts that supernatural speculations and even philosophy (such as the Hard Question and dualism) doesn't impress me as having an answer worth hearing, if at all and Theism is no answer, let alone waging about a particular Holy Book and its' god and religion as telling us anything valid.

Savant

Post #20

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:34 am "There are many religions, there is only one science".
Nowadays we have also the politized science, that tells what the fascists of this world wants it to tell. It is much like religion once was, the validation for the rulers to control everyone as they wish.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:34 amWe may ask about the ultimate unknowns and indeed the human problems, like evil, injustice and why films now have post - it notes instead of scripts, but science has provided the answers
It is the people who give answers. Science is only a method to study physical world, it doesn't say anything.