Moderator: Moderators

2timothy316
Under Probation

Trinity Doctrine Always Taught - Never Discovered by Only Reading the Bible

Post #1

Post by 2timothy316 »

I came across a very interesting read.
https://www.trinityexamined.com/why-no- ... initarian/

It is a VERY long explanation as to why one person abandoned the trinity doctrine. There is one particular sentence that really stood out.

"No one today became a Trinitarian from reading the Bible alone. The doctrine of the Trinity is “learned theology.” So if you are a Trinitarian, just like myself, you didn’t learn this doctrine from the Bible."

Is there anyone out there who by just reading the Bible alone and no outside influence teaching them the trinity, became a trinitarian? Please post on this thread if you have. I'd like to know how you came to conclusion that God is a triune God. If you were taught the trinity and didn't come by it on your own, then I'm not looking for a discussion with you.

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Trinity Doctrine Always Taught - Never Discovered by Only Reading the Bible

Post #2

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to 2timothy316 in post #1]

The article is very interesting, and I appreciate it. I hope others will read at least the first few paragraphs, if not the whole thing.

SiNcE_1985
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by SiNcE_1985 »

onewithhim wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:34 am [Replying to 2timothy316 in post #1]

The article is very interesting, and I appreciate it. I hope others will read at least the first few paragraphs, if not the whole thing.
The problem with that (the entire thread and the article) is..

It contradictions Acts 8:26-40.

The eunuch was actually reading the Bible, and yet he was unable to understand what he was reading...so it had to be explained to him...just like the Trinity doctrine may have to be explained to someone who never caught it.

So, yet another flawed assessment of Biblical teachings and principles from JW's, as usual.
You got two choices, man; swallow blood, or swallow pride.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #4

Post by onewithhim »

SiNcE_1985 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:53 pm
onewithhim wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:34 am [Replying to 2timothy316 in post #1]

The problem with that (the entire thread and the article) is..

It contradictions Acts 8:26-40.

The eunuch was actually reading the Bible, and yet he was unable to understand what he was reading...so it had to be explained to him...just like the Trinity doctrine may have to be explained to someone who never caught it.

So, yet another flawed assessment of Biblical teachings and principles from JW's, as usual.
Yes, the truth had to be explained to the eunuch, as today the same thing applies. Nothing contradicts Acts 8:26-40. No one will get the trinity from reading the Scriptures alone. Truth is at the hands of someone who wants to teach the truth. Philip did, and can you say that he taught the trinity to the eunuch? There is nothing to indicate that he did.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #5

Post by 2timothy316 »

onewithhim wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:25 pm Yes, the truth had to be explained to the eunuch, as today the same thing applies. Nothing contradicts Acts 8:26-40. No one will get the trinity from reading the Scriptures alone.
If there is a person that has read the Bible with no outside influence and felt that they need a 'Phillip' to understand the trinity, I want to talk to that person. I have never met anyone that by reading the Bible alone sought out another so they could understand the trinity.
Truth is at the hands of someone who wants to teach the truth. Philip did, and can you say that he taught the trinity to the eunuch? There is nothing to indicate that he did.
Here is what the eunuch was reading and what he needed help with.

"Like a sheep he was brought to the slaughter, and like a lamb that is silent before its shearer, so he does not open his mouth. During his humiliation, justice was taken away from him. Who will tell the details of his generation? Because his life is taken away from the earth.”
The eunuch then said to Philip: “I beg you, about whom does the prophet say this? About himself or about some other man?” Acts 8:32-24

Indeed there is no occurrence in the Bible where someone begged someone else to explain the trinity to them. I don't know how a person would even know to ask about a trinity since the word doesn't appear in the Bible.

To that last point...
Now, to the person that has never been taught the trinity and is reading this thread: While reading the Bible alone, what scripture made you seek out more information on understanding the trinty? Remember, if you were taught the trinity, this question isn't for you. I'm seeing if particular person exists. One that read the Bible alone and like the eunuch, who needed someone to explain the trinity to them because of something they read.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by 2timothy316 »

Daniel Marsh wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:58 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:38 pm I came across a very interesting read.
https://www.trinityexamined.com/why-no- ... initarian/

It is a VERY long explanation as to why one person abandoned the trinity doctrine. There is one particular sentence that really stood out.

"No one today became a Trinitarian from reading the Bible alone. The doctrine of the Trinity is “learned theology.” So if you are a Trinitarian, just like myself, you didn’t learn this doctrine from the Bible."

Is there anyone out there who by just reading the Bible alone and no outside influence teaching them the trinity, became a trinitarian? Please post on this thread if you have. I'd like to know how you came to conclusion that God is a triune God. If you were taught the trinity and didn't come by it on your own, then I'm not looking for a discussion with you.
https://www.calvarychapelboston.com/Bib ... Bowman.pdf
My case in point. Look at how someone has just linked to site to teach someone the doctrine. Thank you for making my case. However, you're clearly not the person I'm looking for and clearly you haven't read what it is I am looking for. You are not it.

SiNcE_1985
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by SiNcE_1985 »

onewithhim wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:25 pm Yes, the truth had to be explained to the eunuch, as today the same thing applies. Nothing contradicts Acts 8:26-40. No one will get the trinity from reading the Scriptures alone. Truth is at the hands of someone who wants to teach the truth. Philip did, and can you say that he taught the trinity to the eunuch? There is nothing to indicate that he did.
Umm, both you and Timmy missed the point.

No one is saying that Philip taught the eunuch the Trinity...

My point is simple; the eunuch needed a specific scripture explained to him, as he clearly did not understand what he was reading.

This is no different than any other person not understanding (or missing) information in the Bible that may need to be explained or pointed out to them.

The Trinity doctrine may be one of those things.

And I find it amazing that you guys (JW's) are making a thread about this, considering you guys are known for pushing your theology on people, people of whom, 9/10 would not have read the Bible and would had drawn the same conclusions as you guys.

That aside, I can also play this game..

I can say that..

"No one will read the Bible and conclude that only 144,000 of God's people will go to Heaven. This is a learned theology."

See what I did there?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #8

Post by onewithhim »

SiNcE_1985 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:08 pm
onewithhim wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:25 pm Yes, the truth had to be explained to the eunuch, as today the same thing applies. Nothing contradicts Acts 8:26-40. No one will get the trinity from reading the Scriptures alone. Truth is at the hands of someone who wants to teach the truth. Philip did, and can you say that he taught the trinity to the eunuch? There is nothing to indicate that he did.

My point is simple; the eunuch needed a specific scripture explained to him, as he clearly did not understand what he was reading.

This is no different than any other person not understanding (or missing) information in the Bible that may need to be explained or pointed out to them.

And I find it amazing that you guys (JW's) are making a thread about this, considering you guys are known for pushing your theology on people, people of whom, 9/10 would not have read the Bible and would had drawn the same conclusions as you guys.

I can say that..

"No one will read the Bible and conclude that only 144,000 of God's people will go to Heaven. This is a learned theology."

See what I did there?
Fair enough, but it doesn't negate our position.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #9

Post by 2timothy316 »

onewithhim wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:38 pm
SiNcE_1985 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:08 pm

I can say that..

See what I did there?
Fair enough, but it doesn't negate our position.
At least with 144,000 that IS in the Bible and some might want to know what that means. The word trinity has how many mentions in Bible? Zero. Someone must come along and influence them. That means the trinity isn't Bible based. It's an outside influence. A group made it up and then went to look for text to support it 1700 years ago. NOT the other way around. No one reads about the trinity and then goes seeking someone to explain it. If anything trinitarians miss this point and have no defense against it.

Take note, that only those TAUGHT the trinity are replying to this thread and none who have read the Bible alone have come forth to tell us how they came to the conclusion there is a trinity. Until someone does, the point stands. The trinity is ALWAYS taught and never discovered by only reading the Bible. No one seeks out what the trinity means by reading the Bible only. Those that influence the trinity are still trying to influence even when the thread is not about them.

No person responding to this thread, who has read the Bible only and never asked about a trinity, doesn't bode well for trinitarians. Thus those TAUGHT the trinity are trying to explain why and failing. Also note that the more they try to influence this thread, the more they make my point. Also note how they try to change the subject off the weakness in their doctrine. Targeting other groups of people and their beliefs not defending their doctrine. This is called a stawman in the debating world. Instead of attacking the point made they make one up themselves and target that. They have no faith that someone read the Bible and came to the conclusion or even seek out why that there is a triune god without an outside influence. Thus trinitairans will continue to try to redirect the OP.

SiNcE_1985
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by SiNcE_1985 »

2timothy316 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:40 pm At least with 144,000 that IS in the Bible and some might want to know what that means.
Well, it seems clear as to what the 144k is referring to in the Bible...dont know what would cause one to go beyond what it clearly states...but hey, false doctrine must come from somewhere.
The word trinity has how many mentions in Bible? Zero.
Yeah, and the word "grandfather" has how many mentions in the Bible? Zero.

Therefore, Abraham cannot be said to have been the grandfather of Jacob...because after all, the word "grandfather" is not mentioned in the Bible.

Foolishness.

Obviously, it isn't about the word, it is about the concept.

And while the word "Trinity" is not mentioned in the Bible, the concept certainly is.

I also don't recall "The Watchtower and Tract Society" being mentioned in the Bible.

So let's throw that away as well.
Someone must come along and influence them. That means the trinity isn't Bible based.
Negative. In Phiny the Younger's account to the emperor (on how to deal with those pesky Christians), he stated that Christians sang hymns to Christ as if to a god.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pliny_t ... Christians

And this is coming from a pagan.

Sounds Christ was already looked at as a god..and since Christians are monotheistic....GOD.

And this is before the Bible was created.

Early Trinitarian stuff here.
It's an outside influence. A group made it up and then went to look for text to support it 1700 years ago. NOT the other way around. No one reads about the trinity and then goes seeking someone to explain it. If anything trinitarians miss this point and have no defense against it.
It doesn't matter who "made it up" or who "discovered it", or who "influenced it".

All that matters is; is it Biblical.

Trinitarians say yes.
Take note, that only those TAUGHT the trinity are replying to this thread and none who have read the Bible alone have come forth to tell us how they came to the conclusion there is a trinity. Until someone does, the point stands. The trinity is ALWAYS taught and never discovered by only reading the Bible. No one seeks out what the trinity means by reading the Bible only. Those that influence the trinity are still trying to influence even when the thread is not about them.
That would be a fine point if it weren't for the fact that JWs are not only taught what to believe in the scriptures, but they are also discouraged (and in some cases, forbidden) from independent thinking outside of The Watchtower and Tract Society.
No person responding to this thread, who has read the Bible only and never asked about a trinity, doesn't bode well for trinitarians. Thus those TAUGHT the trinity are trying to explain why and failing. Also note that the more they try to influence this thread, the more they make my point. Also note how they try to change the subject off the weakness in their doctrine. Targeting other groups of people and their beliefs not defending their doctrine. This is called a stawman in the debating world. Instead of attacking the point made they make one up themselves and target that. They have no faith that someone read the Bible and came to the conclusion or even seek out why that there is a triune god without an outside influence. Thus trinitairans will continue to try to redirect the OP.
I could care less whether someone stumbled across the truth of the Trinity on their own, or if someone had help along the way.

There is a saying in the martial arts community..

"EACH ONE, TEACH ONE".

It applies here.