Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Galphanore
Site Supporter

Jesus Camp

Post #1

Post by Galphanore »

Here is a link to the full movie on youtube : Link

What does everyone think about it? Personally, it's worrying to me.
  • You are free to do what you want, but you are not free to want what you want.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Re: Jesus Camp

Post #2

Post by bernee51 »

Galphanore wrote:Here is a link to the full movie on youtube : Link

I haven't seen the whole movie, only snippets. First impressions had me viewing this camp as a christian equivalent of a madrassa - training warriors for god.

At worst it is child abuse
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Galphanore
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Galphanore »

bernee51 wrote:
Galphanore wrote:Here is a link to the full movie on youtube : Link

I haven't seen the whole movie, only snippets. First impressions had me viewing this camp as a christian equivalent of a madrassa - training warriors for god.
That would be a fair impression, especially because the person in charge of the camp makes several references to Islamic training camps and statements that we should be doing the same.
bernee51 wrote:At worst it is child abuse
Again, I agree with this. The question, however, is when do a parents actions go from being 'their right to teach their children' to 'child abuse'? We can't even agree on whether or not spanking is child abuse.
  • You are free to do what you want, but you are not free to want what you want.

Bugmaster
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Bugmaster »

After watching this movie, I'd be about ready to pack up and run, don't walk, to Canada (or possibly somewhere even further away), except for one thing: I'm not sure how widespread these "Jesus Camps" and homeschooled Christian terrorists are.

My impression is, still, that the majority of people in the US -- yes, even Christians -- are basically secular. They go through the rituals every Sunday, but if you told them to strap on a bomb and lay down their lives for the Lord, they'd probably call the cops.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Cathar1950 »

Bugmaster wrote:After watching this movie, I'd be about ready to pack up and run, don't walk, to Canada (or possibly somewhere even further away), except for one thing: I'm not sure how widespread these "Jesus Camps" and homeschooled Christian terrorists are.

My impression is, still, that the majority of people in the US -- yes, even Christians -- are basically secular. They go through the rituals every Sunday, but if you told them to strap on a bomb and lay down their lives for the Lord, they'd probably call the cops.
We can only hope. But what if it caught on about believing a loving act of God is killing unbelievers and their children. What if they get it in there head that they should kill homosexuals and love is obeying even if they are saved, with out merit it, might be there duty to obey the laws and make others do the same.
You never know where it is going. Whatever disasters happen, and they always do, it is the sinner’s or unbeliever’s fault or ever some special sinner such as gays, liberals and atheist. It could even be called treason.
I am going to watch the movie now and see what I think. Ever system has its flaws and I like experimentations in communities and freedom for people as long as you don’t mess the kids up more then is needed, natural or necessary. Persuasion works better the cohersion( is that spelled right?). Example may not be the best teacher but it always happens. Being a parent is like being a human. Your going to make mistakes and have to live with them and you can’t always know if it is a mistake (If it is a mistake, it might just be the best at the time) until it is to late. But that is life and deep down it is unavoidable to the degree you seek at least the minimal richness of experience.
There are times when we all wrestle with ourselves as we grow and learn. At some time we realize maybe you’re a little goofy or messed up and you got it from your parents, even the best of parents. The you may look at your grand parents and seen how they influenced your parents good and bad. I think my mom is just a little off but then I look at her parents and see why. Before them were some even weirder Scotts. On my dad’s side there were other problems like Huntington’s, Jews and Native Americans. I am a product of my times and my culture and my parents before me yet I have to live it out, as my children will. So if loving is the answer then who is the loving for?
I was going somewhere with this but I am getting sleepy.

Udanor
Student

Post #6

Post by Udanor »

I saw it on TV the other day..... I was shaking halfway trew....
It made christianity look pretty "silly" and over exadurated... I said to my friend "I hope no one ells in Sweden is watching this right now"....
The thing that was really weird was that I couldn't point out what was so bad about it.. It was a bunch of christians spreading the message of Jesus in the United States. They where teaching kids about Jesus and the bible....

But then.... american christians (a lot of time, not all the time) tend to get over exadurated and turn christianity in to more of a sect than a religion (and I know a lot of christians don't see christianity as a religion). They wont tolerate other opinions within their little group... They teach to their children what they think and belive, and convince the children that all other opinions are bad or evil.... And like they said "children are easy to teach, what they learn when they are small will stick with them for the rest of their life".

OK, so this group of christians are spreading the message of Jesus, and teaching their kids to spread the message....
They also Teach their children politics (witch the children their age really don't know anything about).
The fight against abortion was pretty big in this movie. "we are pro life" :hug: they say... hmm... aren't thees the same americans that support the war in Iraq and hang the United States flag al over their walls, and have a big picture of Bush over their fireplace...?( I'm being a little over exadurated, I don't know that the people in the movie where to patriotic) Being "pro life" and supporting war is not right.. Oooh... I forgot #-o they are only killing muslims anyway... :punch: you can kill muslims and still be pro life.... (I am being sarcastic)

And I keep feeling sorry for the kids who grow up in a christian family that is over exadurated about keeping their children safe from the real/evil world out there.. OK they got the most important info (Jesus message and love for him) The parents only lett the children listen to christian music, and only watch christian movies.. they ´don't say much to the kids about the world outside of their parents protection.. all they tell their kids about drugs, sex, violence and alcohol is that "its bad fore you" or "w8 until after your married".. WTF... when this boy or girl turn 15 and realises that his/her friends are taking drugs and smoking and "doing it" she will be shocked and scarred...

am I falling to far away from the subject...? did anyone even care to read all my opinions that really didn't have any thing to do with the movie..

and just so you know.. I am an american citizen. I just live in Sweden fore the moment..

anyone realise the part when she is sitting in the car and talking about how much she loves the american life stile.. and at the same time the camera looks out over a KFC fastfood restaurant.. .. it's funny...
Was it a christian organization that made this movie or was it someone who wanted christians to look bad? cause it would be weird if christians would make a movie that affects people that way...
One love, one heart
Lets get together and feel alright
One love, hear my plea, one heart
Give thanks and praise to the lord, and I will feel alright

/ Bob Marley

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Goat »

Udanor wrote:I saw it on TV the other day..... I was shaking halfway trew....
It made christianity look pretty "silly" and over exadurated... I said to my friend "I hope no one ells in Sweden is watching this right now"....
The thing that was really weird was that I couldn't point out what was so bad about it.. It was a bunch of christians spreading the message of Jesus in the United States. They where teaching kids about Jesus and the bible....
While there are Christians like that in the U.S., I think that they are far the minority. It does put them in bad light though. The ironic thing is the ones that are presented there are pleased with the way they are presented.

Quarkhead
Apprentice

Post #8

Post by Quarkhead »

I finally saw this movie, and I must say it was scarier than the scariest horror movie. What they are doing to these kids is classic brainwashing. The first night of the camp, Becky really breaks the kids down to their most vulnerable, so she can then build them up with the bricks of her choosing.

It was sad to see, as well, just how political the whole movement is. Golly, the scene with the cardboard cut-out of Bush was frightening - it was like they were worshipping it!

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Cathar1950 »

I see it is no longer available but you can stiil watch clips.
I just saw the cardboard Bush and the Harry Potter must die clip.
Creepy?

seventil
Scholar

Post #10

Post by seventil »

goat wrote:
While there are Christians like that in the U.S., I think that they are far the minority. It does put them in bad light though. The ironic thing is the ones that are presented there are pleased with the way they are presented.
Well said, goat.

So, Christians now have their fundamentalist terrorists. What can atheists / humanists bring to the table? Doesn't seem like a fair fight. ;)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath
already committed breakfast with it in his heart" -- C.S. Lewis