Dating of the Gospels

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Dating of the Gospels

Post #1

Post by achilles12604 »

A problem which continually arrises concerns the dating of the gospels. So after our must recent bump with it I have decided to once again try to start a thread of debate on this issue.
Cathar1950 wrote:
Quote:
The only first century "Gospels" (for which there is any credible evidence) are the ones in the NT. The rest reside in the 2nd century or later, too late for Matthew

There are no first century originals either. Mark was 70 CE and later worked over, Matthew and Luke used it. John and Matthew are late first century and Luke might be 2nd century. They were used to fight other opinions and interpretations and edited. The earliest show many variations that were not curtailed until much later when they were copied more professionally by those in charge.
Maybe the Gnostics got it right and the present NT doesn't know any of the secrets of the initiated.
How much of our present gospels were given additions later to make the say the same thing poorly? We know there were many. It is not until after the second century that we start getting copies mentionings and some kind of coherence due to the the separation of Jewish and Christian communities and only from one flavor of Christians the winners of Constantine's heart and purpose.
Until the second and third centuries there is more we don't know then know.

You continue to state this as fact.

I am going to try to revive a thread which flopped. Mark's dating.

I want to know WHY non-theists date Mark so late. Lets see if you guys will offer reasons for the late date.

What evidence is there for the dating of the Gospels? What arguments do the non-theists have for the late dating? What arguments are there for the theists early dating?
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

Metacrock
Guru

Post #51

Post by Metacrock »

juliod wrote:
Mystery hidden means that messiah would be crucified and rise from the dead. That is not stated explicitly in Scripture. It is there but must be teased out.
Yes, it must be "teased out". But why would it have to be "teased out" if the events had just happened within a few years?

hu? I think you've lost track of the discussion. we are talking about hints of the Messiah in the OT. If Jesus was Messaih that's at least a couple of hundred years between the writing and fulfillment. Or do I misunderstand your point?

You've gotten it right for once. The story of Jesus comes from Scripture, not from any living person or recent ministry.

you are so confussed. I pitty you. you just cant open your eyes and look at the obivious. When God sent a prophet to Isreal and that propeht foretold the future they could read his words and say "O see Amos fortells the destruction of Israel by Assyria" so does that mean it was made up and just fictional because it's in the bible?

Now you can theorize that the story of Jesus was made up from things written but there is a ton of proof that Jesus was a real person. there's no question of that. Paul met several people knwe hm. I I will never know why you don't get this. He knew people who knew Jesus, that proves it. He exists. Paul says so. he says he was a of a flesh and blood line and he had a life on earth Paul says that. so that's proven and we need not wonder.

Now the things in the OT that predut it are beyond the control of Jesus parents. they could not control where he was born. what he was named or how he died. so that is just a foolish argument. it could not have been made up.

He doesnt' say he's the first to do this or that he is the only one to do it.
No, he doesn't claim that, and since he states that there was an established christian church before his conversion, it would not make sense for him to do so. But he does state that knowledge of Jesus comes from study of scripture, not events.

No he does not! never says "you can' t know anything about Jesus of Nazerath" he said "The MESIssiah." he's talking about Jesus role as Messiah that's what needs to be found in the OT. not the man himself.

we have records of Jesus family. Jospehus says James was his family memeber. so there is no doubt he existed. that is proven fact and anyone can see it.

We know form Acts that the communities in Jerusalem did this every day. they met for lunch and eventaully moved in together so they could spend all their time combign scritprues for passages that corrolated to Jesus.
That may even be true. It's also what people who believe in bible codes do

so? that's guilt by association. by that loigc the CIA is like the Bbile code guys
27 to the only wise God be glory forever through Jesus Christ! Amen.

I have no idea how you plug that in to your theory
you don't even know what it means in your world view

juliod
Guru

Post #52

Post by juliod »

hu? I think you've lost track of the discussion. we are talking about hints of the Messiah in the OT. If Jesus was Messaih that's at least a couple of hundred years between the writing and fulfillment. Or do I misunderstand your point?
Yes, what I'm saying (or rather the mythers) is that the "hints of the Messiah in the OT" is all there is.

If Jesus were real the vast bulk of information about him would come from general knowledge of recent events. But Paul and the epistle writers say (in places such as this) that they got their information from the OT.

You are suggesting that they were merely looking for support and illumination. But the mythers say that they were getting the whole story from scripture. Convinces me.
When God sent a prophet to Isreal and that propeht foretold the future they could read his words and say "O see Amos fortells the destruction of Israel by Assyria" so does that mean it was made up and just fictional because it's in the bible?
No, but it does mean that like all claims of prophesy it is a form of post-diction. Most or all of these works can be shown to be reactions to upheavals in the past.

In any case, you have a Problem. If these prophesies in the OT were about Jesus, and not about what the Jews say they are, and if Jesus was intended to save the Jews, how is it that he failed? The jews still think their prophecies are about whatever they thought before.
Now you can theorize that the story of Jesus was made up from things written but there is a ton of proof that Jesus was a real person. there's no question of that.
Nope. There's none. I've said before that if the apologists had evidence for the existance of Jesus they would be sure to tell us.
Paul met several people knwe hm. I I will never know why you don't get this.
Perhaps because Paul never says he met people who knew Jesus. There is one reference to a "brother of Jesus" (James), but it is a throwaway reference that is as likely to be a title rather than a reference of a sibling (if it is not indeed a later interpolation). Paul and the epistle writers speak of Jesus almost universally as a long-hidden mystery.
He knew people who knew Jesus, that proves it. He exists. Paul says so. he says he was a of a flesh and blood line and he had a life on earth Paul says that. so that's proven and we need not wonder.
No. I can agree that Paul existed, but for one reason: there are enough Pauline epistles that scholars can divide them into genuine and fake (oops, I meant pseudonymous). Someone wrote the corpus of genuine epistles, even if his name wasn't Paul.
Now the things in the OT that predut it are beyond the control of Jesus parents. they could not control where he was born. what he was named or how he died. so that is just a foolish argument. it could not have been made up.
But they could easily be made up by anyone making up the whole story. And there is much evidence of this. Is it Jesus of Nazereth? Why not Jesus of Bethlehem? There is a lot of ink spilled to explain away the fact that there were obviously competing stories about Jesus' origin. (But not, of course, among the epistle writers, since for them Jesus lives in a Platonic spirit realm and was crucified long ago.)
Jospehus says James was his family memeber.
You need to absorb one thing: Josephus was not in a position to know the truth of that. And since the passages in Jo are obviously mucked-about with, they are likely to be interpolations in their entirety.

DanZ

Metacrock
Guru

Post #53

Post by Metacrock »

juliod wrote:
Yes, what I'm saying (or rather the mythers) is that the "hints of the Messiah in the OT" is all there is.

If Jesus were real the vast bulk of information about him would come from general knowledge of recent events. But Paul and the epistle writers say (in places such as this) that they got their information from the OT.

It does. the only stuff from the OT is what he would do as Messiah. who he was, who his family was, did he have sibs and all that comes from the events of his life. the only things form the OT are predictions of events the Messiah would fulfill. that's fiar we all know about prophesy and fufillment nothing about that that suggest he wasn't real.
You are suggesting that they were merely looking for support and illumination. But the mythers say that they were getting the whole story from scripture. Convinces me.

You know my opinion of them.

When God sent a prophet to Isreal and that propeht foretold the future they could read his words and say "O see Amos fortells the destruction of Israel by Assyria" so does that mean it was made up and just fictional because it's in the bible?
No, but it does mean that like all claims of prophesy it is a form of post-diction. Most or all of these works can be shown to be reactions to upheavals in the past.

that in no way means that the use of prophesy a prori indicates fiction

In any case, you have a Problem. If these prophesies in the OT were about Jesus, and not about what the Jews say they are, and if Jesus was intended to save the Jews, how is it that he failed? The jews still think their prophecies are about whatever they thought before.

he didn't fail. that's a fuflfillment. that's the "we accounted him stricken" stuff in Is53. he was to be rejected by his people, then come again for the second time. that's why the apostles ask him "when will the tmpel be destoryed and when is the time of your coming?" why ask that he was already there? He was he to have two comings. one at birth and one when he came back.

Now you can theorize that the story of Jesus was made up from things written but there is a ton of proof that Jesus was a real person. there's no question of that.
Nope. There's none. I've said before that if the apologists had evidence for the existance of Jesus they would be sure to tell us.

I told you in the previous post. you just don't know makes history. It does not take much to prove someone existed in history.

Pilate was thoguht to be finctional until they found one inscritpion about him and refernce in Jesphsus so now he's thoguht to be totally hsitoircal. tha's just two attestations. Just two.

Festus who was city teasurer of Ephesus is taken as a real man just one inscription on a wall in Ephesus.

Paul's statments that Jesus was flesh and blood (Rom 1:3, Phil 2:6) and his association with Peter, James, Andrew, and other eye witnesses. is enough to prove it. that is proof! that is solid proof good enough for any historian.
Paul met several people knwe hm. I I will never know why you don't get this.
Perhaps because Paul never says he met people who knew Jesus.
don't play that game. the oddso f two people being named Peter and beign improtant to the ealry chruch are less not greater. Tis' a dumb argument. the only pepople who were big wigs in the ealry chuch were peole who were with Jesus. Paul basically says they were when the says they pillars.

He sais by the creedal formula he quotes that James saw the risen Jesus then we know he met James from Acts.

There is one reference to a "brother of Jesus" (James), but it is a throwaway reference that is as likely to be a title rather than a reference of a sibling (if it is not indeed a later interpolation). Paul and the epistle writers speak of Jesus almost universally as a long-hidden mystery.

that's a ridiculous argument. that's what get's me about mythers anything that counts against their garbage they just pretend it's not there even they hae to lie ;ceat or steal all credility to do so. But their stuff the lie and make up their own facts and make up their own mythology; it's a cult of fantasy.

what are you refurring to? the Josphus quote? that is crtanily no throw away, wether he's the brother, the cousin or a friend it has to imply that Jesus lived.

Myths don't even have flesh and blood aquantences.

He knew people who knew Jesus, that proves it. He exists. Paul says so. he says he was a of a flesh and blood line and he had a life on earth Paul says that. so that's proven and we need not wonder.
No. I can agree that Paul existed, but for one reason: there are enough Pauline epistles that scholars can divide them into genuine and fake (oops, I meant pseudonymous). Someone wrote the corpus of genuine epistles, even if his name wasn't Paul.

no seoius scholar thinks Paul wasn't Paul. But if you know, if you read 1 cor backwrds it says "no six no six turn me on resurreced man!"

if you play Paul all his records backwards. and look at the cover of St. Peper...
But they could easily be made up by anyone making up the whole story.

Not really, they would never get away with it. First no one would follow a figure they never heard of and when they are told He was known to all of Jeruslaem but no one has heard of him taht would kill it there. But then there's the fact that Jews would search out his geneology. the proof of that is they did! It's in the Talmud, there are several passage saying "I foudn suc a one's genology." thats' what they call him after the sefl centorsing of the 16th century.

they would check it out to see that he was real and that he could be traced from the house of David and they would see there is no such person and they would kill the whole movment right then and there.

And there is much evidence of this. Is it Jesus of Nazereth? Why not Jesus of Bethlehem?
that's not an argument. It's a good qeustion it doesnt' prove anything.

There is a lot of ink spilled to explain away the fact that there were obviously competing stories about Jesus' origin. (But not, of course, among the epistle writers, since for them Jesus lives in a Platonic spirit realm and was crucified long ago.)
show me one! I have an arguemnt that there is only one Jesus story. that would seriously disprove it. Let's see the other storeis where are they?

Jospehus says James was his family memeber.
You need to absorb one thing: Josephus was not in a position to know the truth of that. And since the passages in Jo are obviously mucked-about with, they are likely to be interpolations in their entirety.

DanZ
Yes he was, get over it grow and learn the way they did things. Jews kept extensive records on geneology and they were real obcessed with who was from waht family. Joe's grnd father was in Jerusalem at the time and he was a good source of information. Joe also had access to all Jewish archives and all Roman archives were exitive.

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #54

Post by achilles12604 »

juliod wrote:
You're assuming the conclusion, that the Gospels tell stories relevant to Paul. But there is much language in Paul's writings that he is the revealer of the gospel (little 'g') through his inspired study of the OT. Paul learns about a "crucified christ" because he has found some new "bible codes" not because he has heard stories about a real-life Jesus.

Wow this is true conspiracy theory material. You should write fiction.
You are saying that Paul's writings suggest that he found some sort of "code" in the OT and this either taught or inspired his Gospel? Wow, I don't even know where to begin tearing this apart.
Since you are being all sarcastic, I'll only post one example of what I am talking about.

Romans 16(NIV):
25 Now to him who is able to establish you by my gospel and the proclamation of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery hidden for long ages past,

26 but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God, so that all nations might believe and obey him—

27 to the only wise God be glory forever through Jesus Christ! Amen.

Ouchies. Jesus Christ is a "mystery hidden for long ages past". Only now being revealed by Paul's study of Scripture (OT). Could Paul have written this if his audience consisted of people who thought Jesus had only recently lived and died (to say nothing if Jesus were real and there were numerous actual witnesses)?

IOW, Jesus is not "made known" through an earlthy ministry, but through the prophetic writings by the command of god.

IOW, Paul was doing exactly the same thing that people today are that think they have found secret messages in the bible.

DanZ
I think that this entire opinion can be put to rest very easily. Let's look up the definition of Prophecy.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
proph·e·cy /ˈprɒfəsi/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[prof-uh-see] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -cies.
1. the foretelling or prediction of what is to come.
2. something that is declared by a prophet, esp. a divinely inspired prediction, instruction, or exhortation.
3. a divinely inspired utterance or revelation: oracular prophecies.
4. the action, function, or faculty of a prophet.
[Origin: 1175–1225; ME prophecie < OF < LL prophét&#299;a < Gk prophéteía. See prophet, -y3]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source
proph·e·cy (pr&#335;f'&#301;-s&#275;) Pronunciation Key
n. pl. proph·e·cies (-s&#275;z)

1. An inspired utterance of a prophet, viewed as a revelation of divine will.
2. A prediction of the future, made under divine inspiration.
3. Such an inspired message or prediction transmitted orally or in writing.
2. The vocation or condition of a prophet.
3. A prediction.
Both definitions speak about things predicted to come true.

Now lets examine your passages again.
the mystery hidden for long ages past
Yea . . . and? Jesus was hinted at by prophets for centuries. When he finally appeared he was an individual who was a mystery, who was hidden, for ages.

This makes sense so far.
but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God,
Did you ever diagram a sentence in 8th grade or so? I used to hate that. But it is VERY useful here. Lets go through this.

[Jesus] now revealed. . .
[Jesus] made known . . .
Through the prophetc writings. . .
By the command of the eternal God, . . .

You are ignoring the word now. Now implies that before this, the rest of what he writes haddn't occured yet. This in turn implies that SOMETHING recently happened.

NOW, I guess I can understand your interpretation of this passage but you must place the emphasis on the first preposition. If you place it on the second prepositional phrase it summarizes as such.

Jesus is NOW was revealed and made known by the command of the eternal God, so that all nations might believe and obey him. The him, could go back to Jesus or back to God. With the emphasis on the second rather than the first, it reads believe and obey Jesus (or the great mystery which was NOW revealed.)

The phrase "Through the prophetic writings" would then become a description of HOW Jesus was hinted at BEFORE the NOW.

But enough of this disecting sentences.

Explain these:

“PAUL, A SERVENT OF CHRIST JESUS, CALLED TO BE AN APOSTLE AND SET APART FOR THE GOSPEL OF GOD – THE GOSPEL HE PROMISED BEFOREHAND THROUGH HIS PROPHETS IN THE HOLY SCRIPTURES, REGARDING HIS SON, WHO AS TO HIS HUMAN NATURE WAS A DECENDENT OF DAVID , AND WHO WAS THROUGH THE SPIRIT OF HOLINESS WAS DECLARED WITH POWER TO BE THE SON OF GOD BY HIS RESURRECTION FROM THE DEAD; JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD.” ( ROMANS 1: 1-4)

Human Nature, Decendent of David, OOHHH OHHH Here is your Prophecy again but it is pretty clead cut here
THE GOSPEL HE PROMISED BEFOREHAND THROUGH HIS PROPHETS IN THE HOLY SCRIPTURES,

Not much sentence deconstruction needed here.
“FOR WHAT I RECEIVED I PASSED ON TO YOU AS OF FIRST IMPORTANCE; THAT CHRIST DIED FOR OUR SINS ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES, THAT HE WAS BURIED, THAT HE WAS RAISED ON THE THIRD DAY ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES AND THAT HE APPEARED TO PETER, AND THEN TO THE TWELVE. AFTER THAT HE APPEARED TO MORE THAT 500 OF THE BROTHERS AT THE SAME TIME, MOST OF WHOM ARE STILL LIVING THOUGH SOME HAVE FALLEN ASLEEP. THEN HE APPEARED TO JAMES, THEN TO ALL THE APOSTLES, AND LAST HE APPEARED TO ME ALSO AS ONE ABNORMALLY BORN.” (1 COR. 15 : 3-8)
Bear in mind please that Paul's letters are all PRE-Gospel. Jesus probably had to have a body to accomplish dying, and being buried.
“ YOUR ATTITUDE SHOULD BE THE SAME AS THAT OF CHRIST JESUS: WHO BEING IN VERY NATURE GOD, DID NOT CONSIDER EQUALITY WITH GOD SOMETHING TO BE GRASPED, BUT MADE HIMSELF NOTHING, TAKING THE VERY NATURE OF A SERVENT, BEING MADE IN HUMAN LIKENESS. AND BEING FOUND IN APPEARANCE AS A MAN HE HUMBLED HIMSELF AND BECAME OBEDIENT TO DEATH.” (PHILIPPIANS 2: 5-8)
“ ONCE YOU WERE ALIENATED FROM GOD AND WERE ENEMIES IN YOUR MINDS BECAUSE OF YOU EVIL BEHAVIOR. BUT NOW HE HAS RECONCILED YOU BY CHRIST’S PHYSICAL BODY THROUGH DEATH TO PRESENT YOU HOLY IN HIS SIGHT . . .” (COLOSSIANS 1: 21-22)
“YOU SUFFERED FROM YOUR COUNTRYMEN THE SAME THINGS THOSE CHURCHES SUFFERED FROM THE JEWS, WHO KILLED THE LORD JESUS AND THE PROPHETS AND ALSO DROVE US OUT.” (1 THESSALONIANS 2: 14-15)
Killing Jesus just as the prophets. How did the prophets die again? In OT Prophecy? In Spirit? Oh wait thats right . . . in body.

Is that enough? I have others. . .

Ok I explained how your verse could mean something else. Please do the same for mine. I took them from multiple books so you couldn't accuse me of picking and choosing. Please show us all how again Paul didn't think Jesus was ever really a man.
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Re: Dating of the Gospels

Post #55

Post by Cathar1950 »

I have some catching up to do but I thought we could get this over and I can move on.
Abiele777 wrote: Dr. Ramsey, a noted historian, was a skeptic when he checked out Luke's writings and his investigations showed that all the historical details that could be checked proved to be accurate. This is consistent with Luke's own testimony on how he wrote the Gospel and the Book of Acts (which was written before 65 AD and continues where his Gospel left off.), and with the uniform testimony of the early church...
The Gospel accounts are based on eye witness testimony, more manuscripts, more cross references, and more archaeology than any other ancient literature. Many skeptics became believers in their attempt to disprove the authenticity of the NT, including Lawyer Frank Morrision, Sir William Ramsey, Simon Greenleaf, Lord Lyttleton, to name a few...
Simon Greenleaf, a Professor of Law at Harvard University and one of America's greatest legal minds, is particularly interesting because he was the world's leading authority as to what constitutes legal evidence in a Court of Law. He was challenged by a persistent student to apply the rules of legal evidence on the New Testament. He accepted that challenge and after examination, he concluded that the New Testament was reliable, The witnesses were all credible, and that in a court of law, the verdict would be that Jesus rose from the dead.
Ramsey and Greenleaf
It is one of the modern day believer’s myths among some Christians.
It usually goes I was an atheist just like you but I was lying, fooling myself, faking it but I, as the great thinker I am, decided to look into it and low and behold I was forced intellectually to accept the evidence. So in a spurt of rational insight into the great truth repented, took Jesus in my heart and now want us to not be the fool he was and join.

They usually give some dopy story about a great skeptic that gets ask by a dump humble naive believer that as a question that causes the person to study the evidence and use some means of operation. Of course these people really have a disposition and desire to be Christian and believe in Jesus. I was reading about these myths like Greenfield or Greenleaf. I have heard similar things about Josh McDowell and Kevin Bachelor or something like that, He is a Seventh Day Adventist and love to tell how he lived in a cave. There is a pattern. Then they hammer away at atheist while booting their ego with New struggling Christian that have not yet be indoctrinated to believe anything.
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... leaf#90942

I doubt the story too. It sounds like the myths of the lowly believer that challenges the scholarly non-believer and the non-believer goes and studies and become a believer. Most of those stories are about people that already have a commitment and it becomes reinforced with rationalizations and missing information.
The guy that wrote "who moved the stone" already revered Jesus. Greenleaf was a graduate of a religious college. Just myths appealing to sentiment.

juliod
Guru

Post #56

Post by juliod »

I think that this entire opinion can be put to rest very easily.
Oh, I thought you already did that, with your snotty, sarcastic dismissal.
Jesus was hinted at by prophets for centuries.
No, he wasn't. Various things were written for various purposes over the centuries, none of which were about a supposed Jesus character. We can tell this is true since the people for whom they were written still think they are not about Jesus.
Jesus is NOW was revealed and made known by the command of the eternal God, so that all nations might believe and obey him. The him, could go back to Jesus or back to God. With the emphasis on the second rather than the first, it reads believe and obey Jesus (or the great mystery which was NOW revealed.)

The phrase "Through the prophetic writings" would then become a description of HOW Jesus was hinted at BEFORE the NOW.
Nope. He was revealed ("now") through the writings. This passage does not even leave room for an earthy Jesus.

Just one more comment:
“FOR WHAT I RECEIVED I PASSED ON TO YOU AS OF FIRST IMPORTANCE; THAT CHRIST DIED FOR OUR SINS ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES, THAT HE WAS BURIED, THAT HE WAS RAISED ON THE THIRD DAY ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES AND THAT HE APPEARED TO PETER, AND THEN TO THE TWELVE. AFTER THAT HE APPEARED TO MORE THAT 500 OF THE BROTHERS AT THE SAME TIME, MOST OF WHOM ARE STILL LIVING THOUGH SOME HAVE FALLEN ASLEEP. THEN HE APPEARED TO JAMES, THEN TO ALL THE APOSTLES, AND LAST HE APPEARED TO ME ALSO AS ONE ABNORMALLY BORN.” (1 COR. 15 : 3-8)
Note that if Paul knew of the Gospels, and the Gospels were related to a known historical event, it would have been The Eleven, not the Twelve, at this point.

But more importantly notice that the "appearance" described in this passage is the appearance as it was for Paul (15:8). IOW, it was a vision of Jesus, not a ressurection on earth.

DanZ

juliod
Guru

Post #57

Post by juliod »

no seoius scholar thinks Paul wasn't Paul. But if you know, if you read 1 cor backwrds it says "no six no six turn me on resurreced man!"
More snot from the apologists who have nothing.

Real NT scholars know:

a) There was a lot of faking going on in early christianity, including "Pauline" epistles that were definitively not written by Paul.

b) The Pauline epistles are known only in collections, never individually.

Point b is important because it means, at the very least, that every extant copy of Paul's writing has passed through the hands of a collator. At the worst it could mean that the whole corpus was written as a fake originally.

Since fakery is such an important facet of early (and late) christianity, I take nothing in christian philology at face value.

DanZ

Easyrider

Re: Dating of the Gospels

Post #58

Post by Easyrider »

Cathar1950 wrote: Of course these people really have a disposition and desire to be Christian and believe in Jesus. I was reading about these myths like Greenfield or Greenleaf. I have heard similar things about Josh McDowell and Kevin Bachelor or something like that, He is a Seventh Day Adventist and love to tell how he lived in a cave. There is a pattern.
I'm not that up to date on Greenfield but Greenleaf and McDowell were skeptics of Christianity until (1) Greenleaf was challenged to look at the evidence; (2) McDowell actually set out to disprove Christianity and, after reviewing the evidence, became a believer instead. There's no myths to that, just in your mind.
Cathar1950 wrote: Greenleaf was a graduate of a religious college. Just myths appealing to sentiment.
Need your facts, please. Which religious college did Greenleaf graduate from, and do you have a link on that? The information I've seen is that he read Law as opposed to graduating from college and was later asked to attend Harvard. He was one of the principal founders of Harvard Law School, and early on there he was a skeptic of Christianity.

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #59

Post by achilles12604 »

juliod wrote:
I think that this entire opinion can be put to rest very easily.
Oh, I thought you already did that, with your snotty, sarcastic dismissal.
I disagree with this attack on my character. When have I ever been Snotty? Sarcastic yes however this is accompanied with logical reasons for my sarcasm and I try to aim my sarcasm at ideas and arguments, not people.
Jesus was hinted at by prophets for centuries.
No, he wasn't. Various things were written for various purposes over the centuries, none of which were about a supposed Jesus character. We can tell this is true since the people for whom they were written still think they are not about Jesus.
Well I have yet to discover how to argue with an opinion of another so I will simply point out that this (your opinion) disagrees with my opinion and neither of us could prove our point; not in a million years.

Note that if Paul knew of the Gospels, and the Gospels were related to a known historical event, it would have been The Eleven, not the Twelve, at this point.

But more importantly notice that the "appearance" described in this passage is the appearance as it was for Paul (15:8). IOW, it was a vision of Jesus, not a resurrection on earth.
Good observation. All the more reason to date Paul's letters before the Gospels. Of course I don't know of to many people, actually I don't know anyone who dates the Gospels before Paul's letters so I am left wondering what your point was?

As for the appearance, I have no problem conceding that any appearances post resurrection would be different that the Jesus who lived and taught. The bible states that Jesus ascended to the Father and then returned to appear on earth some more. The "visions" are hardly evidence against an earthly Jesus as they all took place after the resurrection and with the exception of the women at the tomb, after he ascended and returned briefly.

Again I am left not grasping what your point was.

ALSO - You neglected to address any of the passages I presented with reference to the human aspect of Jesus. With regard to the only passage you did address, you ignored all of the human aspects mentioned by Paul and instead focused on the post resurrection appearances.

Just thought I would point this out.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #60

Post by Cathar1950 »

Paul is not a witness to a human Jesus.
Paul does not give the date of a human Jesus or even when he was exicuted.
He does seem to give a formula saying. But Paul gives us little details and has his own problems.
Maybe Marcion did write the collection. Maybe the false Pauline letter are the proto-orthodox church's responce. It is all odd that Paul and the gospel's start turning up around the same time during the battles with the Christians that felt Jesus just apeared as a human.

Some even think he had somethinng to do with the gospel of John.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Ithaca/3827/turm2.htm
The book that one calls the Gospel of Saint John is, considered in its first edition, a marcionite product. It didn't see the light of day until after the first third of the second century. This date illuminates the 5:43 text, in which the Johannine Christ, after having reproached the Jews for not receiving him, he who came in the name of his Father, added: "If another comes in his own name you will receive him". The apologists and the critics, who persist in remaining in the vicinity of the year 100, confess here honestly their embarrassment and confess their incapability to identify the "other" to whom the Jews will make a favorable welcome. Here is the sense of the oracles: "You refuse to receive me, I who came in the name of my Father; but, in a hundred and three years, you will receive the impostor Barkochba who himself will claim a heavenly mission ". The Johannine Christ describes what occurred in the year 132 when the Jews, led by Barkochba, revolted against Rome.

The fourth gospel reflects the doctrines of Marcion. How, with such an original stigma, had it succeeded in becoming accepted by the Church? One cannot respond to this question other than by some conjecture. Here is one that might be deduced:

Marcion was excommunicated by the Roman clergy in 144. The same measure was perhaps already taken against him and his adherents by the churches in Asia where he had sojourned before coming to Rome. Other churches later followed the example given to them.

In the vicinity of 150 Marcion was a terror to the catholic surroundings; one agreed with Polycarp to consider him the "eldest son of Satan". But note that he had spent time in Rome. Marcion arrived in the imperial city around 138; it was only in 144 that he was forbidden from the assembly of the faithful. During six years he could gather some disciples, inoculate his ideas into them and nevertheless maintain contact with the Church. During six years he and his disciples participated at the liturgical reunions without alarming the clergy.

This was not made possible outside of strict discipline. Marcion imposed himself and imposed to his circle of friends a great deliberation. He did not express overtly his ideas to where he felt defiance he became reserved. He let rather his theories be guessed if he had not formulated them. He put into practice the maxim (Matt7 :6): "do not give that which is holy to dogs, and do not cast your pearls before swine".

It is in this state of mind that the first writing of the fourth gospel was written in the proximity of 135 (the allusion to Barkochba is understood best two or three years after the revolt of 132, rather than eight or ten years later). The author, a disciple of Marcion, had sojourned to Jerusalem and in Palestine before the war of 132 (one can depict a man like Justin born in Palestine and, consequently, be familiar with the Jewish conventions as also with the topography of the country). The new gospel was destined to expound, by putting into the mouth of Jesus, the good doctrine, the doctrine of Marcion. He expounded it with a level of uneasiness which capitalized on the current prejudices. Thanks to the ambiguous formulas that he used, thanks also to his reticence, the Johannine Christ remained in evident obscurity. He told the faithful: "Your doctors sketched for you a rough as well as inaccurate portrait of my person". And he outlined, on his origin, on his intimate nature, some explanations which pricked the curiosity without satisfying it, and which demanded the same to be completed at an opportune time with some oral explanations.

The fourth gospel saw its day in Asia (during this time Marcion had not returned to Rome). The Church where it appeared admitted to its liturgy - the disciples of the spiritual Christ whose doctrine she knew only so vaguely. When the new gospel was presented, she didn't try to study thoroughly; she contented in admiring the face of the edifice; the differences escaped her. She took confidence in the book one of her children had composed and she allowed its reading in her assembly. Other churches followed. About the year 140, the fourth gospel- or to be exact, the form in which it existed then- received authority in some of the main communities of the Orient.