A question for Atheists . . .

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

achilles12604
Site Supporter

A question for Atheists . . .

Post #1

Post by achilles12604 »

What are some of your best minds in the literary world? Who should I be reading?
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Re: A question for Atheists . . .

Post #2

Post by Furrowed Brow »

achilles12604 wrote:What are some of your best minds in the literary world? Who should I be reading?
If you mean novels then I can't help you there. If you mean more academic stuff book yourself into a philosophy major, begin with the Greeks and read on. For me the guy to read without a shadow of a doubt is Wittgenstein. But it is difficult to understand Wittgenstein, if that is even possible, without some wider philosophical grounding in logic and language. So Russell and Frege would be needed.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Confused »

Furrowed Brow wrote:
achilles12604 wrote:What are some of your best minds in the literary world? Who should I be reading?
If you mean novels then I can't help you there. If you mean more academic stuff book yourself into a philosophy major, begin with the Greeks and read on. For me the guy to read without a shadow of a doubt is Wittgenstein. But it is difficult to understand Wittgenstein, if that is even possible, without some wider philosophical grounding in logic and language. So Russell and Frege would be needed.
I don't know that I would start with philosophers. My Philosophy 101 class stared out with Dostoevsky (bad choice) but got better with Sir Thomas Moores Utopia and Descartes Method of Discourse.

I think starting with the basics of critical thinking (logical) would be better. After understanding the basics of logic, then I would start with Kant: Foundations of the Metaphysics of morals or Descartes Discourse on Method.

But knowing how devout a Christian you are Achilles, I would say start with Ancient Literature. The Norton Anthology of Ancient Literature is very good and might give you some insights as to why one would question the Christian religion when we have heard the story repeated by so many other religions, some that predate Christianity and the OT, and Judaism. For example, the Epic of Gilgamesh is one of my favorite. When you start to see the parallels in stories (Genesis) you may understand the confusion.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Confused wrote:
Furrowed Brow wrote:
I don't know that I would start with philosophers. My Philosophy 101 class stared out with Dostoevsky (bad choice) but got better with Sir Thomas Moores Utopia and Descartes Method of Discourse.

I think starting with the basics of critical thinking (logical) would be better. After understanding the basics of logic, then I would start with Kant: Foundations of the Metaphysics of morals or Descartes Discourse on Method.

But knowing how devout a Christian you are Achilles, I would say start with Ancient Literature. The Norton Anthology of Ancient Literature is very good and might give you some insights as to why one would question the Christian religion when we have heard the story repeated by so many other religions, some that predate Christianity and the OT, and Judaism. For example, the Epic of Gilgamesh is one of my favorite. When you start to see the parallels in stories (Genesis) you may understand the confusion.
Well if you are going to read Kant, you better get a library ticket for Hume and J.S Mill who are from the other side of the spectrum.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Confused »

Point taken. I show my own biases. And Hume isn't to difficult to understand as a beginning author, but Mill, I don't know if that is a good starter.
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Confused »

How about Why Darwin Matters: A case against intelligent design by Michael Shermer.
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

palmera
Scholar

Post #7

Post by palmera »

Plato (Socrates,) Nietzsche, Einstein, Douglas Adams, Isaac Asimov, Primo Levi, Phillip Pulman, Ayn Rand, Salman Rushdie, P.B. Shelley, Kurt Vonnegut, Ibn Warraq
Men at ease have contempt for misfortune
as the fate of those whose feet are slipping.

palmera
Scholar

Post #8

Post by palmera »

oh yeah, Carl Sagan and Albert Camus... and probably Jesus
Men at ease have contempt for misfortune
as the fate of those whose feet are slipping.

Bugmaster
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Bugmaster »

I think it's a mistake to rate writers based primarily on their religious affiliation, or lack thereof; same applies to their gender or race or food preference or whatever. You should read books because they are enaging, or interesting, or thought-provoking, or just generally well-written, regardless of who the author is.

wrekk
Scholar

Post #10

Post by wrekk »

I am currently reading Richard Dawkin's "The God Delusion", and I must say it is pretty good.

Probably not of the "best minds in the literary world", but still good reading none the less.