piracy.An issue?

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

jesse
Student

piracy.An issue?

Post #1

Post by jesse »

hey all, i really need to ask. Do you agree that piracy is an issue to the future of the entertainment industry?
should issues like morality, revenue and gradul seriousness be overweighed by simply the temptation of convieneice, substantial costs and simplisity of piracy?

Or should it instead be revered as the more important factor?

feedback will be appreciated! :D

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

Ethics affirms the worth, dignity and autonomy of the individual and the right of every human being to the greatest possible freedom compatible with the rights of others. We have built economic systems that safeguard these rights. If I work at producing something (art, music, literature, software, automobiles or bagels) with the expectation that those who wish to benefit from by efforts will provide me with an agreed upon benefit (usually money), that is my right. Because my product is easy to steal or is part of a collective effort, does not change the ethics of violating that right, does it?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Confused »

Considering how much the movie and music industry make every year, I see no ethical issue with burning copies of songs from the internet. Perhaps that makes me morally wrong in your eyes, but in mine, it saves me money from paying for an entire CD when all I want is one or two songs. I have never burned a copy of a movie before. Personally, if it is good enough, I will go see it in the theater, otherwise I will rent it on DVD. It's a waste of resources to burn a movie to watch it only once just to have to erase it to rewrite over it for another movie.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

In terms of the entertainment industry, I think it's sorta like the speed limit. People go 60 MPH in a 55 MPH speed zone. Technically all those people are breaking the law. But, the police almost never pulls them over. But, when someone grossly violates the limit, then he'll get pulled over.

I don't think the entertainment industry is too concerned about the person here or there illegally downloading music, movies. But, if someone starts collecting a bunch of illegal downloads and sells them, then the lawyers will be after him.

But in principle, I agree with McCulloch. It's wrong to steal. Just because Bill Gates is rolling in the dough does not make it right to make illegal copies of Vista.

The golden rule is applicable here. Would you want people to steal your stuff just because they are poorer than you? You might decide to freely give to them. But, if someone takes without your consent, then it's stealing.

But, the entertainment industry does need to be more creative in their approach. A good example is iTunes. Apple was able to think creatively and make money on what people could've just illegally downloaded.

Vladd44
Sage

Post #5

Post by Vladd44 »

The industry has made it's money off the backs of the artists for years. I have no sympathy for the talentless idiots at the top losing their share.

The shift to electronic medium will simply change how artists make their money. It will no longer be on getting it right once in a studio, but in live performances.

Best of luck to those who cant actually perform/sing. Maybe we can weed out the spears etc out of the industry with a few lives performances.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.[GOD] ‑ 1 Cor 13:11
WinMX, BitTorrent and other p2p issues go to http://vladd44.com

jesse
Student

Post #6

Post by jesse »

..yes it results in overall moral decadence.
BUt how does it affect the future of the entertainment industry?
as in not just 5,10, or 100 years from now but even the next minute.

Vladd44
Sage

Post #7

Post by Vladd44 »

Moral Decadence?

I know where to begin on that one, the term is without any real meaning.

As far as affecting the future of the industry, I think it will have an overall positive effect. It will remove the stranglehold the industry has over what gets play. It will also remove the talentless litigators at the top, freeing up artists to do their own thing without having to deal with record labels.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.[GOD] ‑ 1 Cor 13:11
WinMX, BitTorrent and other p2p issues go to http://vladd44.com

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by McCulloch »

Vladd44 wrote:The industry has made it's money off the backs of the artists for years. I have no sympathy for the talentless idiots at the top losing their share.

The shift to electronic medium will simply change how artists make their money. It will no longer be on getting it right once in a studio, but in live performances.

Best of luck to those who cant actually perform/sing. Maybe we can weed out the spears etc out of the industry with a few lives performances.
I see that technology has made it possible for the artists to control more of the production and selling of their material. They can more easily produce their own music. They can use the online electronic distribution channels. To me, it seems ethically parallel to Fair Trade coffee, tea and herbs, cocoa and chocolate, fresh fruit, sugar, rice, and vanilla.
Studio recording will still be done. Some music is just better that way. Those who provide the studio services should be paid for their contribution and the risks they take. They are not talentless idiots. Yes, the recording industry has taken advantage of the artists (underpaying, binding contracts, distribution rights) and the listeners (overpricing). A correction is overdue.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

otseng
Savant

Post #9

Post by otseng »

jesse wrote:BUt how does it affect the future of the entertainment industry?
I think this is exciting times we live in. The playing field is being leveled. The small players are starting to have equal footing with the big players. And not just for music, but for videos, movies, books, news, et al. And not just the entertainment industry, but the software industry as well is being revolutionized.

... now if I could just figure out how to partake in monetizing this revolution. :-k

Felonious
Student

Post #10

Post by Felonious »

I don't have a problem with it (I may, or may not do it myself). The recording industry's just getting to pushy. Everybody is. I swear, one day the RIAA is going to bust into my shower and beat me for singing too loud.