I've looked high and low..........

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

scorpia
Sage

I've looked high and low..........

Post #1

Post by scorpia »

Hi! I'm new here. I've been to many religious debates, but I don't think I've been to this website before. Anyways;

I've looked at everything from the books of Enoch to the Mormons Pearl of Great price for a couple of theological visions/ parables/ stories I was told when I was younger. I don't know their source though, but they are;

A. A man has to past a test to get to heaven or somewhere, and he has to cross this chasm on a very thin bridge. On one side of it was a bottomless pit, on the other side of it was an inferno. And while the guy was trying to cross this very thin bridge, demons flew about trying to pull him down one of the sides so he'd fall.

B. After this the guy had to cross this rive. But the more faith he had, the more shallow the river woukd become.

I think this question belongs in this forum. But if anyone can tell me where tehse come from I'd be really really grateful. Thanks muchly! :)

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by ST88 »

scorpia:

Welcome to the forums.

I don't specifically know the answer to your question, but you might try Dante Aligheri's Inferno. It's been such a long time since I read any of it that I can't remember it all, but this sounds like something that would be in there.

scorpia
Sage

Post #3

Post by scorpia »

Sorry, But I don't think that's it. It mentions traitors stuck in ice, thieves held by snakes, and alot of similar things, but not the parables above. But thanks for the help. :)

hannahjoy
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by hannahjoy »

That sounds like Pilgrim's Progress. It's an allegory by the 17th century English preacher, John Bunyan.
Only it was a narrow path, not a bridge, with a pit on one side and quicksand on the other - it was the only way through the Valley of the Shadow of Death.
The river symbolizes Death - when Christian (the pilgrim) had faith, it wasn't terrifying.
Has no one on the forum read that? It's a Christian classic!

Hannah Joy

seventil
Scholar

Post #5

Post by seventil »

hannahjoy wrote:That sounds like Pilgrim's Progress. It's an allegory by the 17th century English preacher, John Bunyan.
Only it was a narrow path, not a bridge, with a pit on one side and quicksand on the other - it was the only way through the Valley of the Shadow of Death.
The river symbolizes Death - when Christian (the pilgrim) had faith, it wasn't terrifying.
Has no one on the forum read that? It's a Christian classic!

Hannah Joy
Aye, I agree that is probably the Pilgrims Progress. I'm rereading it right now, and I would suggest getting the new amplified version; the olde english gets old after a while in the original versions. ;)

hannahjoy
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by hannahjoy »

the olde english gets old after a while in the original versions.
If you think it's hard in Pilgrim's Progress, just try "The Holy War" :blink: .
"Bearing shame and scoffing rude,
In my place condemned He stood;
Sealed my pardon with His blood;
Hallelujah! What a Saviour!"
- Philip P. Bliss, 1838-1876