a second question for non-theists

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

achilles12604
Site Supporter

a second question for non-theists

Post #1

Post by achilles12604 »

Would you ever want a good God figure to exist? Would you ever want an all powerful being who loves you or would you not want it to exist?

Why?
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

katiej49

Re: a second question for non-theists

Post #11

Post by katiej49 »

McCulloch wrote:
katiej49 wrote:there are no conditions tied to Gods grace.[...] no strings attached...no conditions to be met.
McCulloch wrote:But there is a condition. Those who do not believe will not be saved. Belief is the condition. Therefore it is not unconditional.
katiej49 wrote:what action does one have to take to believe?
You did not say that there are no actions required in order to receive God's grace. You explicitly said that there were no conditions. Yet belief is a condition, not a required action.
thats seems a pointless play on words. I take no action, do nothing except believe He has already done for me what I couldnt do,,,,,Jesus has reconciled me to the Father, by grace, not because of anything I have done. dont know how else to say it....... O:)

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by McCulloch »

katiej49 wrote:thats seems a pointless play on words. I take no action, do nothing except believe He has already done for me what I couldnt do,,,,,Jesus has reconciled me to the Father, by grace, not because of anything I have done. dont know how else to say it....... O:)
You might think that the condition of believing that which is unreasonable and irrational is a trivial concern, but I just cannot make myself believe anything without having some basis for that belief.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

katiej49

Post #13

Post by katiej49 »

McCulloch wrote:
katiej49 wrote:thats seems a pointless play on words. I take no action, do nothing except believe He has already done for me what I couldnt do,,,,,Jesus has reconciled me to the Father, by grace, not because of anything I have done. dont know how else to say it....... O:)
You might think that the condition of believing that which is unreasonable and irrational is a trivial concern, but I just cannot make myself believe anything without having some basis for that belief.

well no generally speaking you cant make yourself believe something...God can though. He did it for me. you can go to Him, doubts and all...just as you are...and ask Him to show you in a way you can understand. you can pray even if you are unsure of it all. He loves to help those who come to Him just as they are, warts and all.....

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by McCulloch »

katiej49 wrote:well no generally speaking you cant make yourself believe something...God can though. He did it for me. you can go to Him, doubts and all...just as you are...and ask Him to show you in a way you can understand. you can pray even if you are unsure of it all. He loves to help those who come to Him just as they are, warts and all.....
Are you suggesting that I talk to someone who I do not think even exists? How can I go to someone who isn't there? Why would I want to?
Gospel of John

katiej49

Post #15

Post by katiej49 »

McCulloch wrote:
katiej49 wrote:well no generally speaking you cant make yourself believe something...God can though. He did it for me. you can go to Him, doubts and all...just as you are...and ask Him to show you in a way you can understand. you can pray even if you are unsure of it all. He loves to help those who come to Him just as they are, warts and all.....
Are you suggesting that I talk to someone who I do not think even exists?

Yes

How can I go to someone who isn't there? Why would I want to?
Go honestly. as you are. doubts and all. Tell Him your doubts and fears and hopes and ask Him what His plan is......why would you want to?...well, do you want to know God or not....

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by McCulloch »

katiej49 wrote:Go honestly. as you are. doubts and all. Tell Him your doubts and fears and hopes and ask Him what His plan is......why would you want to?...well, do you want to know God or not....
I want to know Superman, the Green Hornet and Dr Who as well. If I talk to them, will they become real too?
Gospel of John

QED
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by QED »

McCulloch wrote: I want to know Superman, the Green Hornet and Dr Who as well. If I talk to them, will they become real too?
Apparently, yes.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by McCulloch »

katiej49 wrote:you can go to Him, doubts and all...just as you are...and ask Him to show you in a way you can understand. you can pray even if you are unsure of it all. He loves to help those who come to Him just as they are, warts and all.....
McCulloch wrote:Are you suggesting that I talk to someone who I do not think even exists?
katiej49 wrote:Yes
McCulloch wrote:How can I go to someone who isn't there? Why would I want to?
katiej49 wrote:Go honestly. as you are. doubts and all. Tell Him your doubts and fears and hopes and ask Him what His plan is......why would you want to?...well, do you want to know God or not....
Why would I want to believe in the Christian God? The only reason (and do let me know if there are others that I have missed) is that I should only want to believe in the Christian God if that God really does exist. I currently do not believe that he does, therefore, I do not want to believe in him.
Why would I want to know God? If God exists, he apparently will see to it that those who do not believe in him will spend eternity in torment for being rational. Therefore, if God exists, I want to believe in him. The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.

My honest (warts and all) prayer:
  • God, I do not believe that you are there and I feel stupid talking to this empty room. If you love me, would you please give me a reason to believe that you are here. If you have a plan for me, would you please let me know what it is.
Do you think that God will answer my prayer and strike down my powers of reason and grant me that irrationality called faith?
Gospel of John

ManBearPig
Student

Post #19

Post by ManBearPig »

McCulloch wrote: My honest (warts and all) prayer:
  • God, I do not believe that you are there and I feel stupid talking to this empty room. If you love me, would you please give me a reason to believe that you are here. If you have a plan for me, would you please let me know what it is.
Hehe that's brilliant. I enjoyed that very much :).

By the way, my answer for Achilles is Yes.

k-nug
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by k-nug »

achilles12604 wrote:Would you ever want a good God figure to exist? Would you ever want an all powerful being who loves you or would you not want it to exist?

Why?
Absolutely. If Jesus came down from the clouds right now and said to me, "Hi m***, My name is Jesus, and I love you. My only response would by, Hi, Thy will be done.
My version of Genesis.
At first there was symmetry. Then something broke.