Evangelical Self Check

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Evangelical Self Check

Post #1

Post by achilles12604 »

If someone were to come up to you and ask you point blank. . .

"Why should I become a Christian?"

what would you tell them?

Second question

What is the best overall method for evangalism? What in your opinions is the best way to draw people to Jesus?

I honestly do not think it is apologetics. I think it is actions. If they SEE and FEEL the love of Jesus then it is more likely they can accept him. What do you all think?
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

otseng
Savant

Re: Evangelical Self Check

Post #2

Post by otseng »

achilles12604 wrote: "Why should I become a Christian?"
Because it is true.
What is the best overall method for evangalism? What in your opinions is the best way to draw people to Jesus?
Through relationships. That is, you become a friend and then gradually plant seeds into that person's life. And then trust that God would cause the increase.

A personal example. There is a doctor that has been coming to church who was raised a nominal Jew. He is currently an atheist. His wife is a devout Christian and is a very active member of the church. And I've been attempting to befriend him and plant seeds in him. And I'm trusting that over time God will cause the increase.

Goose

Re: Evangelical Self Check

Post #3

Post by Goose »

achilles12604 wrote:If someone were to come up to you and ask you point blank. . .

"Why should I become a Christian?"

what would you tell them?
I'd first ask if they believe in God or least that if there was a God, would He reveal Himslef to us? If they won't accept the possibility of God, it's game over I'm afraid. I'd then ask, if He existed would it be reasonable to assume He'd reveal Himself in a special way that is unique, powerful, and not duplicatable? If they agree, I'd then present the evidence for Christianity. I'd then ask if they were willing to take a step of faith, not a leap, but a step.

Second question

A personal example to the people around you. People can't hear what you are saying if your actions are sceaming at them to the contrary.
I honestly do not think it is apologetics.
I'd agree. I think, generally in apologetics we are dealing with people, that for one reason or another, have made their decision about Christianity and want to take a lot of people with them. Not always, but usually. However, apologetics also saves a lot people from losing their faith to weak arguments.
I think it is actions. If they SEE and FEEL the love of Jesus then it is more likely they can accept him. What do you all think?
100%. That is one of the major distinguishing facets of Christianity, the love of Christ. Not just golden rule type love, but sacrificial love. It's powerful to those willing to accept it.