Zoroastrianism

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

CubicU
Student

Zoroastrianism

Post #1

Post by CubicU »

Anyone ever read about Zoraster and the religion he built up called Zoroastrianism?

Though only apporx. 1 million members are in existence ti this day, a study on theis religion show many "jewish" "christain" and "muslim" doctrine prior to any formation of these religions.

For example, the concept of one god who created all things and a divine son is found and also the theme of a devil also.

what are your opinions and thoughts?

MagusYanam
Guru

Post #2

Post by MagusYanam »

I would argue that limited monotheism existed among Jews long before Zoroaster adapted his own form of limited monotheism, though the concept of moral dualism, Heaven and Hell and the eschatology are almost certainly Persian in origin.

As to whether this negates the Christian faith, I would say no. People can be on different paths, coming from different cultural backgrounds, and discover similar truths and philosophies. If one looks at the Chinese philosopher Mozi and Jesus one can find many parallels, from an iconoclastic approach to ritual to pacifism to universal love.
If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe.

- Søren Kierkegaard

My blog

Greatest I Am
Banned
Banned

Consolidation.

Post #3

Post by Greatest I Am »

I believe that the religions of today are based in part on a consolidation of prior or older tenants.
I would like to see the Vatican work on a new Bible that would accentuate the notion that all religion should be flexible and inclusive. Without inclusion, how can any religion ever become a world religion?

If you were to read all the major Bibles you would notice that they are all about the same in their philosophies.

This may be why Heaven is open to all whether or not knowledge of Jesus is there or not.

Regards
DL

Arthra
Student

We owe a great deal to Zoroastre/Zarathust

Post #4

Post by Arthra »

CubicU wrote:Anyone ever read about Zoraster and the religion he built up called Zoroastrianism?

Though only apporx. 1 million members are in existence ti this day, a study on theis religion show many "jewish" "christain" and "muslim" doctrine prior to any formation of these religions.

For example, the concept of one god who created all things and a divine son is found and also the theme of a devil also.

what are your opinions and thoughts?
Being a Baha'i I accept Zoroaster as a Manifestation of God and in my Faith there were many Zoroastrians who accepted Baha'u'llah as the promised Shah Bahram.

But yes definitely the dispensation of Zoroastrianism had a great impact on the religions of the west and the east I believe... In the east in Buddhism you have a belief in the Maitreya Buddha and some scholars have suggested this belief could have been inspired by the Zoroastrian concept of the future saviour Sraosh.

The chinvat bridge is another Zoroastrian concept that after death the soul crosses a razor sharp bridge that could mean one would fall from... YOu either meet a beautiful maiden or a hag on the bridge depending on your life in this world.

One of my favorite stories of Zoroaster was when he observed a King giving a dog some water and Zoroaster observed that the King's hand that gave the dog water was the only part of him that would not burn in hell.

The word "Paradise" we use comes froman ancient Persian word meaing walled garden and so even our concept of the after life owe much to Zoroastrianism.

- Art

Euronyzeus

The question..!

Post #5

Post by Euronyzeus »

I personally think it´s not, it´s just other universal prophet who decided to right a book of what was revealed to him and that i only think because Zoroaster was known first in Germany by a philosophical book series.
And well the mother of all religions is something that reveals something to a someone,
those someones i think are; Mohammad, The writers of the Torah, Jesus*, Zoroaster, Confucian, Buddha and probably more that are not of our knowledge.

What i´m totally sure is that they´re all linked..

*I think Jesus was someone who they revealed stuff to but he really didn´t wrote anything the only thing he wrote was ¨The one who has not sinned throw the first rock¨ and in the ground.