Harry Potter Tribunal

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Harry Potter Tribunal

Post #1

Post by Furrowed Brow »

An employment tribunal in the UK is currently hearing a case from a teaching assistant who worked for a school for four years. The case revolves around the teaching assistant’s refusal to listen to a seven year old read Harry Potter. The book belonged to the girl and not the school. The teaching assistance was disciplined by her employers after she told the girl ‘I don’t do witchcraft in any form’ and said she would be cursed by hearing the JK Rowling Novel’.

The assistant resigned on grounds of religious discrimination.

So should the teaching assistant be compensated? Is this religious discrimination? Alternatively - are we just humouring a crank?

What if the book was the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe , Macbeth, or Lord of the Rings which contains wizards? Should Christians be refusing to read these too? What about Sabrina?

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Harry Potter Tribunal

Post #2

Post by Goat »

Furrowed Brow wrote:An employment tribunal in the UK is currently hearing a case from a teaching assistant who worked for a school for four years. The case revolves around the teaching assistant’s refusal to listen to a seven year old read Harry Potter. The book belonged to the girl and not the school. The teaching assistance was disciplined by her employers after she told the girl ‘I don’t do witchcraft in any form’ and said she would be cursed by hearing the JK Rowling Novel’.

So should the teaching assistant be compensated? Is this religious discrimination? Alternatively - are we just humouring a crank?

What if the book was the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe , Macbeth, or Lord of the Rings which contains wizards? Should Christians be refusing to read these too? What about Sabrina?
In this case, the teacher's assistant had a job to do, and her 'religious' convictions was interfering with her ability to do the job. Telling a child she 'I don't do witchcraft of any form' is abusive to that girl. When a teacher's assistance private
religious convictions causes abuse to the students, then that is a matter of concern.

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Furrowed Brow »

goat wrote:
Furrowed Brow wrote:An employment tribunal in the UK is currently hearing a case from a teaching assistant who worked for a school for four years. The case revolves around the teaching assistant’s refusal to listen to a seven year old read Harry Potter. The book belonged to the girl and not the school. The teaching assistance was disciplined by her employers after she told the girl ‘I don’t do witchcraft in any form’ and said she would be cursed by hearing the JK Rowling Novel’.

In this case, the teacher's assistant had a job to do, and her 'religious' convictions was interfering with her ability to do the job. Telling a child she 'I don't do witchcraft of any form' is abusive to that girl. When a teacher's assistance private
religious convictions causes abuse to the students, then that is a matter of concern.
This is very much the position of the employers. In their defence they have said...
By any stretch of the imagination to say that to a child is wholly inappropriate

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by ST88 »

Furrowed Brow wrote:So should the teaching assistant be compensated? Is this religious discrimination? Alternatively - are we just humouring a crank?
1) The TA is a humorous crank.
2) This isn't religious discrimination, it's IQ discrimination.
3) What kind of a religion is so fragile that hearing something from a different viewpoint would cause it to crack?
4) Why is Harry Potter such a threat? This reminds me of the argument against Yoga -- that there are certain positions that you can contort yourself into that make it easier for evil spirits to enter the body.
Every concept that can ever be needed will be expressed by exactly one word, with its meaning rigidly defined and all its subsidiary meanings forgotten. -- George Orwell, 1984

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by micatala »

This is not religious discrimination. The employee was not asked to change their beliefs, or disciplined because of their beliefs. They were disciplined because of their behavior, their refusal to do their job.
" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn

studentem

Post #6

Post by studentem »

I have never understood how religious groups can talk about these childrens' books as a menace to society, while keeping a straight face. What are the odds that they're going to come clean and admit it was all a big joke? :D

stelinlindsey

Post #7

Post by stelinlindsey »

Hi,
This is stelin lindsey.............
Every employer must be aware of the employment laws. An employment tribunal case could be expensive at the same time it affects reputation of the employer and of course there would be adverse effect on relationship with existing staff. Employer must keep himself updated with reference to salary deduction, working time, salary benefits and other employment laws.

[spam deleted]

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Kuan »

I cannot comprehend why people look at these books like that... Some of the stupidest things I have ever heard. It is extremely obvious the Harry Potter series has christian undertones. Its not religious discrimination, its more like forced indoctrination. No TA should tell a student that, especially one so young.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

Board
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Board »

Whenever Harry Potter comes up in religious debate I always love to point out Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia. Harry Potter is only bad because the author did not clearly profess that her books contain religious undertones. She is a professing Christian, Tolkien was Catholic, Lewis a convert from Atheism to the Church of England (influenced by Tolkien).

All three writers have now produced volumes of fantasy material all including magic that has solid moral values and undertones yet only 2 of the 3 are accepted widely as religious in nature.

astounding...

ChaosBorders
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by ChaosBorders »

Furrowed Brow wrote:An employment tribunal in the UK is currently hearing a case from a teaching assistant who worked for a school for four years. The case revolves around the teaching assistant�s refusal to listen to a seven year old read Harry Potter. The book belonged to the girl and not the school. The teaching assistance was disciplined by her employers after she told the girl �I don�t do witchcraft in any form� and said she would be cursed by hearing the JK Rowling Novel�.

Old thread but I'll add my two cents. The teaching assistant should not be compensated for anything. If she had just refused to listen to the little girl read the book, and had still been disciplined, I could see her having a case. But actively expressing the opinions she did to a seven year old girl was completely unnecessary, uncalled for, and quite frankly indicative of the general intelligence level of the TA. As such, discipline was entirely appropriate and no religious discrimination occurred.