Reasons people deny God!

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

adamson

Reasons people deny God!

Post #1

Post by adamson »

Hello!

My name is Adam. I was just surfing the web and came across this forum and decided to make a quick register and write a topic, as i saw there was quite a few god-deniers here, and I wanted to ask them (you) why you are like this.

The only reasons I myself can come up with would be that you are such a self-centred person that you do not want God to "decide" what you are allowed to do, and not to do. Maybe you are a gambler, go to brothels, a killer or a thief. I hope of course most of you are not, but just as a logical assumption, i must assume you are something like that, or similar to any of it, as i see no other reason.

I am a proud American. And my personal opinion is that god-deniers should not be considered american citizens as this country was founded upon the glory of God. And my country is currently, and have been during the last century the guardian of peace for the world. We protected the world from communism, terrorism, facism and everything that is evil. Even when people insult us, we aid them and give them help. We give poor countrys billions of dollars just because we are know it is good and yet, they come and insult us, and then ask for more. How can you, especially as american, deny god and insult your nation in that manner? It makes no sense to me.

Best Regards
Adam

k-nug
Site Supporter

Re: Reasons people deny God!

Post #31

Post by k-nug »

adamson wrote:Hello!

My name is Adam. I was just surfing the web and came across this forum and decided to make a quick register and write a topic, as i saw there was quite a few god-deniers here, and I wanted to ask them (you) why you are like this.

The only reasons I myself can come up with would be that you are such a self-centred person that you do not want God to "decide" what you are allowed to do, and not to do. Maybe you are a gambler, go to brothels, a killer or a thief. I hope of course most of you are not, but just as a logical assumption, i must assume you are something like that, or similar to any of it, as i see no other reason.

I am a proud American. And my personal opinion is that god-deniers should not be considered american citizens as this country was founded upon the glory of God. And my country is currently, and have been during the last century the guardian of peace for the world. We protected the world from communism, terrorism, facism and everything that is evil. Even when people insult us, we aid them and give them help. We give poor countrys billions of dollars just because we are know it is good and yet, they come and insult us, and then ask for more. How can you, especially as american, deny god and insult your nation in that manner? It makes no sense to me.

Best Regards
Adam
Hello!

Welcome to the board! Although I am not a God-denier, I feel your post was in fact referring to me. However as others have stated, I cannot deny that which does not exist. However, in order to show you a few observations, I am going to humor you.

If you are a Christian, you are sinning right now with your posts. According to your Book,
God wrote: Luke 14:7-11
7When he noticed how the guests picked the places of honor at the table, he told them this parable: 8"When someone invites you to a wedding feast, do not take the place of honor, for a person more distinguished than you may have been invited. 9If so, the host who invited both of you will come and say to you, 'Give this man your seat.' Then, humiliated, you will have to take the least important place. 10But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, 'Friend, move up to a better place.' Then you will be honored in the presence of all your fellow guests. 11For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

1 Peter 5:5

5Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because,
"God opposes the proud
but gives grace to the humble."

Luke 22:27
27For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves.

adamson wrote: If it was not for us, your country would not exist. It is because my Nation decided to be loving and helpful your nation is still free. We asked nothing in return for us to help you.

You think it is a mere coincidence that United States is the most powerful nation in the world, that we have the most advanced technology and best medicines?

And the Muslim countries live in caves, almost literally.
God wrote: 2 Kings 19:22

22 Who is it you have insulted and blasphemed?
Against whom have you raised your voice
and lifted your eyes in pride?
Against the Holy One of Israel!

Ezekiel 28:2;17

2 "Son of man, say to the ruler of Tyre, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says:
" 'In the pride of your heart
you say, "I am a god;
I sit on the throne of a god
in the heart of the seas."
But you are a man and not a god,
though you think you are as wise as a god.

17 Your heart became proud
on account of your beauty,
and you corrupted your wisdom
because of your splendor.
So I threw you to the earth;
I made a spectacle of you before kings.

1 Timothy 3:6

6He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil.

Jeremiah 13:9

9 "This is what the LORD says: 'In the same way I will ruin the pride of Judah and the great pride of Jerusalem

Isaiah 65:5

5 who say, 'Keep away; don't come near me,
for I am too sacred for you!'
Such people are smoke in my nostrils,
a fire that keeps burning all day.
Specifically this quote from you is very similar to a Pharisee quoted in the bible.
adamson wrote:The only reasons I myself can come up with would be that you are such a self-centred person that you do not want God to "decide" what you are allowed to do, and not to do. Maybe you are a gambler, go to brothels, a killer or a thief. I hope of course most of you are not, but just as a logical assumption, i must assume you are something like that, or similar to any of it, as i see no other reason.
God wrote:
Luke 18:
9To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable: 10"Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11The Pharisee stood up and prayed about[a] himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'

13"But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'

14"I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

You have a very arrogant and prideful attitude towards us atheists/agnostics. Yet Jesus ate with sinners, not condemning them, only leading by example and or healing them. I don't see you as having healing powers.

adamson wrote:I would call you a god-denier.
God wrote: Matthew 7

1"Do not judge, or you too will be judged.

Luke 6:37

37"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

Romans 12:10

10Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.

As far as the Christian Nation goes:
adamson wrote:Because our Nation was founded upon God and His principals. We are the strongest and most powerful nation on the planet, and this is because our historical love for God. Are you to reap the benefits of this whiles you deny him?

Why do you not move to another country and see how good they have it? Europe, China Russia. Lets see how good that is compared to our Nation of God.
Exactly what benefits are we reaping now? 3000+ American soldiers killed in Iraq? Is that worth it to you? Is that a benefit to thank God for? We haven't even been able to get the ONE GUY who caused 9/11. How powerful are we?
adamson wrote:Our Nation is founded on God.

The "Fathers of the Country" speak for themselves thank you very much:

Thomas Jefferson.
"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter"

"There is not one redeeming feature in our superstition of Christianity. It has made one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites"

"It is in our lives, and not from our words, that our religion must be read. By the same test the world must judge me. But this does not satisfy the priesthood. They must have a positive, a declared assent to all their interested absurdities. My opinion is that there would never have been an infidel, if there had never been a priest"

"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should `make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and state."

James Madison

"Be it therefore enacted by the General Assembly, That no man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place or ministry whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained, molested, or burthened in his body or goods, nor shall otherwise suffer on account of his religious opinions or belief; but that all men shall be free to profess, and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of religion, and that the same shall in nowise [sic] diminish, enlarge, or affect their civil capacities".
an excerpt from an article that I think makes an excellent point regarding 'the Christian Nation'.
“Putting to Rest the ‘Christian Nation’ Myth”

Even had the Founders been Calvinists, or fundamentalist Christians of a modern variety, for purely logical reasons the United States is not in any sense a Christian nation. According to the U.S. Department of State, “Turkey has been officially secular since 1924, although well over 95 percent of the population is Muslim.” Turkey is officially secular because its constitution proclaims it so. It is not an Islamic state. The First Amendment accomplishes the same for the United States, making it officially secular.

Even if we were to imagine that the Founders were fundamentalist Christians, they created a secular state, in which no religion, despite its majority status, has any special privilege or status compared with any other religion or with atheism. So, America is not a Christian nation, by virtue both of its history and the logic of its founding documents. Free Inquiry, David R. Koepsell
adamson wrote:Without God you have no compass to good moral. Look at the thousands Communists have killed. I guess it has nothing to do with lack of God, but once again, a mere coincidence.

I wonder when this "coincidence" folly will stop, and you will accept truth. Where do you come from? As you clearly have no parents (denial in God, is the same as deny your parents existence).
First of all God KILLED EVERYONE once. Remember Noah? He WIPED THE PLANET. How about the Crusades? The Spanish Inquisition? It does not matter who killed more. the fact is, Christianity Kills, and so does your God. Communism may 'have no morals cuz they got no God', But what is your excuse?

On top of that I find your attitude of 'muslims live in caves' as being pretty racist and very unchristian. Didn't God say 'what you do for the least you have done unto me'?

Thanks.
My version of Genesis.
At first there was symmetry. Then something broke.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #32

Post by Confused »

Hi Adam.
adamson wrote:Hello! The only reasons I myself can come up with would be that you are such a self-centred person that you do not want God to "decide" what you are allowed to do, and not to do. Maybe you are a gambler, go to brothels, a killer or a thief. I hope of course most of you are not, but just as a logical assumption, i must assume you are something like that, or similar to any of it, as i see no other reason.
I am not sure what rise you are looking for with this first portion, but I will try to answer it the best I can.
Am I self centered? Sure, in some circumstances. Everyone is to a degree. If there was only 1 apple on a deserted island with no other food and I was stranded there with another stranger, I would fight like heck for that apple. Anyone who says they would gladly give it to a stranger is likely lying.
No, I don't gamble, go to brothels, kill, or steal.

I think you aren't thinking logically. Perhaps you are only seeing superficial reasons for one to be an atheist. It isn't so we can do horrid things guilt free. Most atheists are actually closer to the line of humanists, though not all are. Most do just as much good as you do, lead just as healthy and normal lives as you, are happy and functional contributors to society. We do good for the sake of humanity. Same reason as you, just we don't believe in a God. It doesn't make you better than me or me better than you. Just different. The world is full of diversity, you should try not to categorize people based on a label. Usually, it comes back to bite you in the arse. If you approach this with logic, you will find that most under the foundation of atheism have researched religion and found lack of evidence to support it. Does that mean there is no God? No. I can't say with certainty that God is or isn't there. I can only weigh the evidence and go from there. Most of us are open minded enough that if evidence was brought to light to show the definitive existence of God, we would have to alter our views. Now, you will find some atheist who are atheists out of anger, it isn't that they have researched the subject and made a logical choice. Instead they feel God is an arse so they reject Him. There are many times I have to re-evaluate my own foundation to see if I fall into this category, and perhaps I do a teensy weensy bit, but I doubt it.

adamson wrote:I am a proud American. And my personal opinion is that god-deniers should not be considered american citizens as this country was founded upon the glory of God. And my country is currently, and have been during the last century the guardian of peace for the world. We protected the world from communism, terrorism, facism and everything that is evil. Even when people insult us, we aid them and give them help. We give poor countrys billions of dollars just because we are know it is good and yet, they come and insult us, and then ask for more. How can you, especially as american, deny god and insult your nation in that manner? It makes no sense to me.
I think you have to high of an opinion of the US. Yes, I am american. But recall, history repeats itself. It is inevitable that we will fall just as the Roman empire did. It is only a matter of time. However, this country was founded on the basis of freedom. That includes the freedom of religion or lack of it. I know many atheist soldiers who have served their country for 20+ years, deployed to Desert Storm, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc..... They fought for their country, not because their country was under attack, but because we have an obligation to use whatever resources we have to help humanity, such as cases in which ethnic cleansing is occurring. Would you not allow them an honorable military burial upon their death because they were atheist? Does that make them less patriotic? As they are risking their lives for the lives of strangers, would you sit back and still say they are unpatriotic?
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #33

Post by Cephus »

adamson wrote:So how come you deny God now?
How about a complete and utter lack of any evidence that God exists?
You already knew he existed, and now you deny Him. I assume you can see the contradiction.
No, when I was a Christian, I *BELIEVED* God existed. I got better. I used to believe Santa Claus existed too. I was wrong.

alyu100

Post #34

Post by alyu100 »

adamson wrote:Hello!

Best Regards
Adam
I'm new to this forum, so...
I'm an atheist, a 'god-denier' I suppose...
Well, you said something about the glory of God making America such a good country etc.. I don't come from America, and my country's central religion isn't Christianity. I think my country's is very civilized. Communism, terrorism and facism isn't all that common here.
America hasn't been the most powerful country until.. I don't know the exact date but only recently. The world's history is very long and there were many many strong and civilized countries. Do you think that if a country's laws are not based on Christianity, it will become .. Evil?
Take a well developed country like Japan, only 0.7% of it's population confess to be Christians... Do you think all the 99.3% of Japanese are either murderers, gamblers, theives or go to brothels?

WalkingGenius

Post #35

Post by WalkingGenius »

Okay, I see that they are people in the world that has different beliefs. Everyone is probably asking where do we draw the line. Religion is a very subjective concept to talk about in public. I really do not like talking about religion because every time someone feels like they are "oppressed.” This goes for EVERYONE, if you cannot deal with the fact that people will always complain about your religion, then what the point of having one.

Define "best.” It too broad a term to say United States is the "best" country in the world. Even if you define "best" look at educational system, they are only a few Americans that can compete on a national level. Yes, we must act on this with haste.
You have to take initiative to get anything done.

It okay to have an opinion but I do not like it when it is cram down someone throats.

I am going to make an assumption. So is it ideally to have uniformity in the path we take?

Saros
Student

Post #36

Post by Saros »

Is this guy for real?!?
Some people just make me gape with their arrogance and ignorance, adam is one of them.
Maybe you are a gambler, go to brothels,
Okay so I do neither of those things but what is so wrong about them? I understand the problem with killing and being a theif, they harm others, harm is much more difficult to establish with gambling and uh Brotheling (?) and must be established on a case by case basis.
I wonder when this "coincidence" folly will stop, and you will accept truth. Where do you come from? As you clearly have no parents (denial in God, is the same as deny your parents existence).
Um you still have yet to establish why god is necessary. Good luck with that by the way. Better people than you have tried and failed.

If you wish it is possible to backtrack the series of cause and effect that resulted in our being here back to less than a second after the big bang. There are gaps in this path to be certain but that is because of our incomplete knowlege not because of any innate problem with the processes involved.
Your God has only that one place left to hide, how does it feel knowing your "all powerful" god has been chased back to this one infitesimal speck of time and it is only a matter of time untill we shine the light of knowlege there as well and find out it was nothing but ghosts and shadows.

MagusYanam
Guru

Post #37

Post by MagusYanam »

adamson wrote:I was just surfing the web and came across this forum and decided to make a quick register and write a topic, as i saw there was quite a few god-deniers here, and I wanted to ask them (you) why you are like this.

Best Regards
Adam
As a practising Christian, I have to be honest with the facts. And empirically - I have known quite a few atheists in my time, and none of them were gamblers or thieves, killers or lechers. In fact, most of them were decent and thoughtful human beings, and I respect them for that. We see the universe in different ways. I look at the universe and see mind-bogglingly extravagant generosity and grace; an atheist might look at the universe and see merely benign, impersonal indifference, or they may not have considered it before. Atheism does not make people vicious, nor does it imply vice. But I think atheists have a greater responsibility to do good in the world and make the world a better place, because from their point of view this life is the only chance they get, and they are how they are remembered by others in this world.

Also, people in other countries are generally not jealous of the United States. Most of the Chinese people I've met have a strong sense of patriotism and consider their own country to be great, but at least they have the grace not to claim that their country is 'the best', and are always eager to help China improve. The same goes for Finland - the Finns I know are generally quieter about it, but I still felt a strong sense of national pride and pride in their institutions and respect for human rights. I wish I could say the same of American 'patriots'.
If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe.

- Søren Kierkegaard

My blog

BoxerShorts

Post #38

Post by BoxerShorts »

Adam is clearly not interested in debating or learning anything new. Assuming he's serious (I suspect Poe, but I wouldn't be surprised either way), he's already dead-set on sticking to his unfounded, inaccurate assumptions about atheists, and has a whole bag full of pre-prepared ad hoc arguments to throw at anyone who refutes them.

I welcome and enjoy discussions with respectful, open-minded theists, but Adam isn't one. I see no reason to take him seriously.

Vladd44
Sage

Post #39

Post by Vladd44 »

Please excuse this post, it may be a bit disjointed, after all the wireless connection at this casino/brothel is subpar, and all the dried blood from my most recent murdering spree is causing problems with the touchpad. But it's ok, I can always just go steal another laptop.
katiej49 wrote:many people who make posts like yours come into forums and say they are American and then say something absurd to get a rise out of people .
I have to agree with katiej49 on this one. I just hope I can avoid my angry self from suicide for agreeing with her. :D

Do you troll because your angry at your god?
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.[GOD] ‑ 1 Cor 13:11
WinMX, BitTorrent and other p2p issues go to http://vladd44.com

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #40

Post by Furrowed Brow »

I belong to the school of thought that has you taking the rise Adamson.
Adamson wrote:…as i saw there was quite a few god-deniers here, and I wanted to ask them (you) why you are like this.
But to answer this question I’ll bounce off MagusYanam
MagusYanam wrote: I look at the universe and see mind-bogglingly extravagant generosity and grace; an atheist might look at the universe and see merely benign, impersonal indifference..
As an atheist I look at the universe and see a mind-boggling fecundity, but one where austere parsimony prevents extravagance. A parsimony that leaves me in wonder of what seems like an endless graceful beauty always sufficient unto itself. When the universe is malignant I do not shake my fist at it. A theist might look at the universe and see purpose and intervention, but for this atheists such thoughts are like size 14 boot prints in virgin snow. The universe, and my small place in it are sufficient. The universe is as it is, no more need be added.