Does the Bible support any particular age of Earth?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Does the Bible support any particular age of Earth?

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

Scrotum wrote: The world is not flat, the world was not "made in 7 days", the world is not 6000 years old etcetera, all this is fiction, WE KNOW THIS.
Easyrider wrote:Where does it say the world is 6,000 years old?
Question for debate: Is there a Biblical Basis for a Young Earth (between 6,000 - 10,000 years old) ?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #71

Post by micatala »

McCulloch wrote:Please try to remember that the question for debate is, "Question for debate: Is there a Biblical Basis for a Young Earth (between 6,000 - 10,000 years old) ?"

What science has to say it not being debated, nor whether the Bible agrees with science.
I stand corrected. Certainly the issues I brought up are not relevant to the thread from that standpoint.
" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn

firewick

Post #72

Post by firewick »

micatala wrote:
Part of it is that the word 'reasonable' is somewhat subjective. In my view, having thousands of scientists agree on what the data says is pretty compelling, especially when those scientists work with a whole variety of evidence from a number of different viewpoints. Having 'one doubt' is not sufficient for me to discount the preponderance of the evidence. It's like having one detective who has her own theory of who, how, and why the crime was committed, but having 99 others who agree on at least the basic facts and explanation of the crime.

Scientifically speaking, if you have scientists researching anything 100 years ago, 99% of them will agree. But if you ask a scientist today, they would disagree with the ones from 100 years ago. So scientifically concluding, 100 years from now, well, you do the math...
There are assumptions, but in my view they are very reasonable assumptions because they are based on exactly what we see happening right now. In addition, when the same method is applied by multiple people in multiple places all coming to dates that go back several tens of thousands of years, then again, we have pretty over-whelming evidence. If a guy gets convicted by a dozen different juries, we should feel pretty confident he is guilty.

Once again the same thing, if everyone is using the same tools and techniques, they are bound to come up with the same results, no matter how wrong they are. A jury can easily convict an innocent man if their facts are wrong.
This is not that hard to explain. In many areas it snows every year, sometimes a lot. Thus, you have layers every year.

For sedimentation, we do not always get a new layer every year. It varies from place to place. Some areas may see no sedimentation for millenia, while others may have built up many feet of sedimentation in the same time frame.

In addition, there is erosion. The dinosaur that is only two feet down today may have been dozens or hundreds of feet down in the distant past.

I honestly don't see how this can be a reasonable objection.

I'm sorry, I have to disagree. When these scientists find fossils, I have seen many diagrams showing the sediment layers and what age they were from, proven by their great dating methods, heck, I was taught this garbage in school. These theories they have on all of this data they collect always have problems adding up. You can't have layers of sediment if there isn't much being collected there so how could there be any fossils, and if it is being collected there (and that is why the fossil is buried) then why is it so close to the surface. I know there are answers for that like erosion and other things, but then how is the fossil still there if the sediment eroded away? Why is there a fossil found that is 1.4 miles down in Norway from the same era that they have found them just a few feet under? Well I guess if you believe that they were here for millions of years and then it's easy to believe or have faith in these theories. But I can not, there is no sense to them. And to compare with the ice ring from Antarctica, you are right some places do get a lot of snow, but unfortunately for you and these scientists, this place does not, It is the world's driest desert (but not THAT dry). Now since Antarctica shrinks and then regrows each year to roughly the same size, I would have to think they got the sample off of the smaller or summer East Antarctica. Now, since that area receives an average more than 2 and less than 8 inches of precipitation. At the minimum that sample should be no less then 5 miles below the surface. That is not even close to their calculations...
I would agree. We make mistakes. This applies to scientists as well as theologians. We know, for example, that theologians have been very wrong about interpreting the Bible in the past. THe Galileo episode is but one example.

Scientists can be a bit over confident, but on the other hand, they also have a hugely successful track record. When multiple people working on the same problem come to a common conclusion, this is certainly no guarantee, but it does lend a great deal of credibility to the conclusion, especially when anyone with enough expertise can usually verify the conclusion independently on their own.

Now your just going with the "world is flat thing" that your saying the theologians do... And as for their track record, I do believe that opinion could be easily argued. People have done more harm and wrong then helped. I think that's provable if you up for a different discussion. I don't agree with many theologians either...
I don't see the opposition between the scientists and the creator. IN my view, the evidence the scientists are working with is the ultimate result of the creator's actions. Whether the individual scientists are believers or not is irrelevant. We can investigate their conclusions without having 'faith' in it. I believe in God as the ultimate creator. I also accept the overwhelming evidence of the age of the earth presented by scientists as indicative of the actions of that creator.

If you are interested, you might visit Hugh Ross' reasons to believe website. Ross is no fan of evolution, is an evangelical CHristians, but accepts an old earth. I certainly don't agree with Ross on everything, but I do think he attempts to give intellectually honest scientific and theological arguments for his positions. For example, Ross does not believe in a global flood, and makes a good case for why the theological and scientific arguments for a world-wide flood don't hold water. However, he clearly still accepts God and His role as creator.

This is the problem I run into. When someone says that they follow God, but do not agree with him, how can they REALLY follow Him? I say "follow", not "believe", because you can believe in something and not care about it. Like people that say they believe in a god, but just choose not to care. But when a christian tries to teach people something that is not in agreement with the word of God, then you can immediately tell they are not telling the truth. The fact of the matter, concerning the flood described in the Bible, is that there is not one soul on this planet that could correctly calculate the theories of fluid dynamics that the flood would create on the earth. It would be so intense that it is even hard to fathom. And secondly for Ross to even hint the "fact" of there being only 22 percent of the water on the planet to flood it is not correct. If all of the underground wells of water and oil and gas were already known, well I guess you should be able to conclude the rest...
In conclusion, I do understand your viewpoint, I used to have similar ones. And I would have chomped at the bit seeing this tree ring and ice ring info. But now I look at everything with MORE fairness than before. People think that people that believe in God are one sided, and a lot of them are. But those people just "say" they believe in God. Their one-sidedness shows different. And those people that don't believe in God are the most one sided, proven by their attack on something they don't even believe in, almost proving it exists by their attack...

God Bless!

Eric

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #73

Post by Cathar1950 »

McCulloch wrote:Please try to remember that the question for debate is, "Question for debate: Is there a Biblical Basis for a Young Earth (between 6,000 - 10,000 years old) ?"

What science has to say it not being debated, nor whether the Bible agrees with science.
Wouldn't that by necessity be dependent on how you interpret the stories?
Which parts in or of the Bible are we talking about?

I am interested in seeing some answers as some do take the myths literally which seems to be because they take other stories literally.

ken1burton
Apprentice

Post #74

Post by ken1burton »

General information about the flood.

The Flood, If the earth was about the same as today, Mountain size, etc, and the waters rose 15 cubits over the Mountains, then that 40 days and 40 nights add the springs etc. Had the waters rising over 13 feet per hour for all 40 days.

But God says He uses Similitudes and multiplies visions, So is it a similitude, or something which really happened and usable to date the earth.

The problem is when looked at. Noah and the three sons and all of their wives load the animals, get in the Ark, The Rain comes for 40 days and 40 nights.

Then something very strange happens. It speaks of the Selfsame day? Then they are back to before the flood and loading the animals AGAIN.

Genesis 7:10 And it came to pass after seven days, that the waters of the flood were upon the earth.
11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.
12 And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights.

Now the story is being retold:

Genesis 7:13 In the selfsame day entered Noah, and Shem, and Ham, and Japheth, the sons of Noah, and Noah's wife, and the three wives of his sons with them, into the ark;
14 They, and every beast after his kind, and all the cattle after their kind, and every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind, and every fowl after his kind, every bird of every sort.

Sorry, it is a similitude and not usable to date the age of the earth. Actually it is looking at the day of the Cross. The day seen as 3 pictures, Second is seeing Jesus in hell, Second picture of the Flood has something different (And the Lord Shut them in)

People in Revelation seen as waters, Jesus is the Ark, the People lift up the Ark.

Isaiah 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

The things from ancient times like The creation story, Adam and Eve, Noah’s Ark, Sodom and Gomorrah are similitudes for the day of the Cross, So when Isaiah penned what we call Chapter 46 Verse 10. These things were not yet done, they were spoken as things of ancient times.

The Beginning is the start of the New World the day of the Cross, When Jesus declared the end “It is Finished”. The Old World had no beginning recorded in Scripture, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are also similitudes, Not usable for dating the age of the earth by the recorded Generations in Scripture.

Isaiah 63:16 Doubtless thou art our father, though Abraham be ignorant of us, and Israel acknowledge us not: thou, O LORD, art our father, our redeemer; thy name is from everlasting.

When God speaks of the Foundation of the world, He is talking of the New World, the lamb is slain from the Foundation of the World, or from the day of the Cross.

Job 38:4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.

Jesus is on a cross outside Jerusalem, It can be seen by the other questions God asks:

Job 38:17 Have the gates of death been opened unto thee? or hast thou seen the doors of the shadow of death?

They sure have, For He will die this day at Golgotha.

Job 38:21 Knowest thou it , because thou wast then born? or because the number of thy days is great?

The Body of Christ is born the day of the Cross. With us in that Body.

Psalms 2:6 Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.
7 I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.

The Bible does not show any real age for the Earth, or when life was being formed on this planet.

Ken

Psalms 29:10 The LORD sitteth upon the flood; yea, the LORD sitteth King for ever

Fallibleone
Guru

Post #75

Post by Fallibleone »

ken1burton wrote:Fallibleone.

Cute, Did your teachers in School accept any answer you put on your homework? Or were they picky?

Fortune Telling as far as an occult practice, Yes. But Prophecies from God which has the ability to make it happen is a bit different.

I have never seen anyone speak on many of the Concepts and interpretations I share, and they are not mine, I just pass them on, As for as how many God has shown what, He has not told me.

I do know what Christianity has is almost nothing. The amount of error of Doctrine is tremendous. And that Israel will see it correctly, and most of the world will come to Christ through them.

Keep your garden weed free. But make sure you have people who follow you doing the same thing, For the difference of a garden or weeds, is weeds are forever.
Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what you are trying to say to me. As far as my 'garden' goes, no one will follow me into my own mind. Once it's gone, there's nowhere for the weeds to grow. This exchange is growing more and more cryptic and obscure. I'm sorry to say that I am unable to find any meaning to it.

ken1burton
Apprentice

Post #76

Post by ken1burton »

Fallibleone.

No problem. We are worlds apart. I can not see living in your world, Nor can you see living in mine.

Take care of yourself,

Ken

Fallibleone
Guru

Post #77

Post by Fallibleone »

We both live in the same world.

Best wishes.

SwissMan2007

Bible is just a bunch of bad written books

Post #78

Post by SwissMan2007 »

you shouldn't take it litterally... metaphoras are used in it.

if you look for an exact date of world creation, geologists can give you a more accurate answer than any bible available.
regards

Hetter

www.faithdebate.net

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #79

Post by McCulloch »

The discussion of the authorship of John is way off topic for this thread. I have split that off and put it here.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Salt Agent
Apprentice

Post #80

Post by Salt Agent »

MagusYanam wrote:
Fisherking wrote:Is there a Biblical Basis for a Young Earth (between 6,000 - 10,000 years old)? The scriptural evidence supplied so far would be emphatically "yes". You have not provided any biblical evindence as of yet to be considered.

Fisherking wrote:The question for debate did not ask if there is commentary evidence for a young earth, nor did it ask if you or anyone else if they thought it mattered.

Pardon me for being flippant, but to this response I would ask, 'so what'? To apply a rich cultural narrative full of legend and myth to a question of scientific import is at best an exercise in pointless triviality, and I would consider insistence that it should be applied to matters of scientific import a sacrilege.

And to be clear, I did say that you could have a Scriptural basis for a young earth (if you come at it from an historically anachronistic viewpoint), but to imply that to be the main point of the creation story is a profanity, because to do so would be to interpret Scripture in ways that its authors would not have meant, and to ignore the other layers of meaning that can be gotten if Adam and Eve are considered metaphorical for humanity (which even their names indicate that they are). That is where the Midrash comes in handy. So I think commentary absolutely matters in this debate. Because clearly if the authors had wanted us to read a young earth into their text, a date for the creation would have appeared in the commentaries centuries before Bishop Usher.
Fisherking wrote:Evidentally not -- what scriptural evidence suggests the earth is 4.5 billion years old?

I don't see how I can be any more clear on this.

There is none, because the question is irrelevant! Using myth to answer a scientific question is preposterous.

The question is whether there is Biblical evidence to support any particular age of the earth. My brother ManusYanum misstates Christian history, but also is missing the mark on Judaism. The fact of the matter is that the majority of early church Fathers agreed on the age of the Earth being approximately 6000 years old, based on the understanding of the meaning of day, and reconciling this with the genealogies in the Gospels.
Following are some of these who lived hundreds of years before Usher. John Calvin, Josephus, St Augustine, Sir Isaac Newton, Charles Wesley, Johanes Kepler, Martin Luther. As to his notion that the Genesis account is Poetry. This is completely false, and supported by both conservative Christian Hebrew scholars as well as Liberal scholars who do not believe Genesis to be true.

The mark or characteristic of poetry in Scripture is synonymous parallelism, antithetical parallelism, and/or constructive parallelism as in Psalm 24:3-4. Aside from quotes, this does not exist in Genesis, and these passages stand out markedly from the rest of the text.