The European Religious Rebound

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

theleftone

The European Religious Rebound

Post #1

Post by theleftone »

I was reading an article entitled "In Europe, God Is (Not) Dead." It suggests religious belief is on the rebound in 'secular' Europe. The article addresses Europe in general, but specifically focuses on Sweden.

Question for Debate: Is there a religious rebound occurring in Europe?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: The European Religious Rebound

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

tselem wrote:Question for Debate: Is there a religious rebound occurring in Europe?
I hope not. I'd like to see some evidence either way.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

QED
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by QED »

Well there's not much sign of a growth in Christianity here in the UK -- but there is a significant rise in the number of Hindus and Muslims. What is most noticeable is the number of former Churches, chapels etc. that have come onto the market for conversion into private homes. Not much chance of them being returned to their former use!

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

For Canada: Here is a piece from 2000 from the CBC, Church attendance declining in Canada

Here is an article from Skeptical Inquirer, March-April, 2004 by Phil Zuckerman.
Secularization: Europe—yes, United States—no: why has secularization occurred in Western Europe but not in the United States? An examination of the theories and research

While the research is a bit dated 1990's to 2002 or so, it does indicate that the USA is getting more religious and Europe less. Can anyone find more recent data?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John