Religion in schools

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Insomniac
Student

Religion in schools

Post #1

Post by Insomniac »

Yesterday, my english teacher had us write on the question "Do you believe religion should be allowed in schools?". Of course, this got me thinking...

I believe that religion should not be pushed upon students. But, if a religion class is to be taught, it should cover more than just one scope. I remember a few years ago when a pastor came to our school, spoke about God, and handed out those little red bibles to each of us. Now, if a person expressing belief in the worship of Satan had asked to speak at our school, I highly doubt he would have been permitted to. Why? If religion is going to be pushed in school, shouldn't all be covered?

I do think that individuals should be able to express themselves (as in wearing jewelry, shirts, or in verbal expression). But, I doubt that the school system would allow an "I love Satan" shirt to be worn.

Anyways, enough of my ramblings. What are your opinions on this subject?
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation

Native American is me homie g-dog

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #31

Post by Cephus »

McCulloch wrote:I cannot deny the time-bomb aspect of this but I still think that it would be a good idea. The instructor would have to be very careful that he or she was not teaching that any particular view is correct. They would teach the historical development of the various viewpoints and the logical and scientific methodology used to assess the various positions.
It still wouldn't fly, you'd get all the religious groups mad by suggesting that their views weren't 100% true and everyone else 100% false. You'd get Christian parents not wanting their kids to learn about anything but Christianity, and perhaps parents of other faiths taking the same tack on their kids learning about Christianity.

The problem is that as soon as you introduce logic and science into any discussion on religion, the whole thing turns silly. Even a cursory logical evaluation of religion gets you rolling on the floor laughing.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #32

Post by McCulloch »

Cephus wrote:IThe problem is that as soon as you introduce logic and science into any discussion on religion, the whole thing turns silly. Even a cursory logical evaluation of religion gets you rolling on the floor laughing.
And the downside of this is ... ? :whistle:
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by Cathar1950 »

I know Cephus that Jesus said to pray in a closet.
No one ever listens to him any way.
The only time Paul ever quotes Jesus it is from a vision he had.
I remember teaching a class on the NT in college and I had over 30 students on a sat morning. A bunch of the students were taking notes and going to the dean every time I said some thing that didn't fit their point of view. I had Atheist, Catholics, Fundies and Calvinist and perfect attendance. I explain that I was taking a historical approach and tried to give every one their due. I explained the various views of both Catholics and Protestants. It was a fun class once every one settled down. Even the Atheist enjoyed the class.
The dean would call me in every week and give me the list of complaints and we would laugh and go have lunch. But after awhile they quit complaining and the discussions were great.

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #34

Post by Cephus »

Cathar1950 wrote:I remember teaching a class on the NT in college and I had over 30 students on a sat morning. A bunch of the students were taking notes and going to the dean every time I said some thing that didn't fit their point of view. I had Atheist, Catholics, Fundies and Calvinist and perfect attendance. I explain that I was taking a historical approach and tried to give every one their due. I explained the various views of both Catholics and Protestants. It was a fun class once every one settled down. Even the Atheist enjoyed the class.
The dean would call me in every week and give me the list of complaints and we would laugh and go have lunch. But after awhile they quit complaining and the discussions were great.
Way back when my wife was in college, she had a number of physical anthropology classes where any time the professor would say something that disagreed with a literal reading of the Bible, this one girl would stand up, tell the professor he was lying and start a fight. Then she'd write down the whole incident and turn it in to the university administration, claiming that the professor was telling lies in class.

You'd think this idiot would figure out that physical anthropology and her beliefs would simply not agree, but she kept on taking them, and probably failing too.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #35

Post by Cathar1950 »

Or maybe she finally caught on and is now an anthropologist.
You never know.
I remember the Atheist said to me "when you talk about God I am not repulsed"
My definition was that which is of ultimate concern.

Dilettante
Sage

Post #36

Post by Dilettante »

McCulloch wrote:
I cannot deny the time-bomb aspect of this but I still think that it would be a good idea. The instructor would have to be very careful that he or she was not teaching that any particular view is correct. They would teach the historical development of the various viewpoints and the logical and scientific methodology used to assess the various positions.
Hi, McCulloch:
Learning about the arguments in favor and against religion is essential, I think, to becoming an adult. Also, I doubt that any single instructor could present both sides of the issue impartially. It would be best to have two instructors.
All the best,
Dilettante

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #37

Post by Cathar1950 »

What do you mean two instructors? What do you think the schools are made of money? It is a great Idea they could play good cop bad cop but with religion and just to be fair they could change sides so One doesn't get all the fun. I was watch barb walters tonight. She did a thing on heaven it was interesting. She even got to kiss the Dali Lama they also touches noses. What was my point? :-k
Oh yeh, the God Gene! They think they may have isolated a gene in humans that causes(on effects) spirituality . Some people just don't have the mutated gene. If you don't you just don't see spiritual things and if you do you think spiritual(spooky stuff). This affects the brain and more it affects the brain the more spiritual you are. Granted what ever spiritual is it is the same for both just one sees it and the other doesn't. Which is real?
I am interpreting what I remember and don't take me for getting it right.
It is an interesting idea. What if it is a mutated gene? I mean talk about predestination. Who's fault is it that you have or don't have it?
Is it good or bad. I mean spiritual people would see spiritual things and the non gene people would not see it. I ones with it could say hey there is one non gene heathens and the ones with out the gene could say hey look here comes those mutants.
Oh well it is an interesting idea. They are still fighting over a Gay gene.
But let us say that this is the case. You couldn't help it. If you are religious and spiritual . Of course I see no reason a person could not be religious and not be spiritual and vise versa. This could be a thread. I wonder what it would be about? Is there a God gene wouldn't be any fun. What if there is a God gene who's fault is it and is it a bad thing. Or is the God gene good for us? Should we breed it in or out? Evolution would most likely weed one of them out given enough time say a few million years or maybe the two working together is a benefit. Or maybe not. You wonder if knowing all this about ourselves helps? What would be the ethics of the God gene? How you going to teach that in schools?

jcrawford
Guru

Re: Religion in schools

Post #38

Post by jcrawford »

Insomniac wrote: Yesterday, my english teacher had us write on the question "Do you believe religion should be allowed in schools?".

What are your opinions on this subject?
Since Congress can "make no law prohibiting the free exercise of religion," I fail to see what right any state or people have to disallow religion in public schools. If our public schools discriminate against the clergy from teaching our Christian, Jewish and Muslim children their religion as electives, then religious persons in America should start discriminating against their secular oppressors in government who sanction the killing of the unborn children of married Christian, Jewish and Muslim men.

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #39

Post by Cephus »

jcrawford wrote:Since Congress can "make no law prohibiting the free exercise of religion," I fail to see what right any state or people have to disallow religion in public schools. If our public schools discriminate against the clergy from teaching our Christian, Jewish and Muslim children their religion as electives, then religious persons in America should start discriminating against their secular oppressors in government who sanction the killing of the unborn children of married Christian, Jewish and Muslim men.
Cool, I'll call up the local school district and ask them to start teaching Satanism to all the students. Can't discriminate against the Satanists, you know.

jcrawford
Guru

Post #40

Post by jcrawford »

Cephus wrote:
jcrawford wrote:Since Congress can "make no law prohibiting the free exercise of religion," I fail to see what right any state or people have to disallow religion in public schools. If our public schools discriminate against the clergy from teaching our Christian, Jewish and Muslim children their religion as electives, then religious persons in America should start discriminating against their secular oppressors in government who sanction the killing of the unborn children of married Christian, Jewish and Muslim men.
Cool, I'll call up the local school district and ask them to start teaching Satanism to all the students. Can't discriminate against the Satanists, you know.
You're too late. They are already teaching Satanism in public schools under the guise of secular feminism and gay sexism.