Tim LaHaye books vs Revelations

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Confused
Site Supporter

Tim LaHaye books vs Revelations

Post #1

Post by Confused »

Ok, so I admit to reading Tim Lahayes series "Left Behind". For any others who have read it, can you see all the discrepancies between it and Revelations? I understand that this is fiction. My problem is that many of the young adults I know know nearly nothing about Revelations but bases their opinion based on this book series as if they were a screen play for how Revelations is to play out.

So for debate:
1) Should such "scholars" write rubbish such as these series? LaHaye and Jenkins are both well re-known authors of many non-fiction books about biblical prophecy and interpretations.

2) Is there really much correlation between the series and how Revelations reads?
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Confused »

I will even start this off. I have found minimal to nothing to support a rapture occurring prior to the kick off of the 2nd coming of Christ. Despite how I interpret it, I can find nothing that would allude to the "faithful" suddenly disappearing and not having to face the same trials as the rest of society.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Fisherking

Re: Tim LaHaye books vs Revelations

Post #3

Post by Fisherking »

Confused wrote: 1) Should such "scholars" write rubbish such as these series? LaHaye and Jenkins are both well re-known authors of many non-fiction books about biblical prophecy and interpretations.
I never did read the books, but did catch part of the movie when it was on t.v. I do not think "scholars' should write rubbish like this myself. Kids and adults with little biblical background themselves read and watch stuff like this and automatically assume it is biblical.
2) Is there really much correlation between the series and how Revelations reads?
From what I watched on t.v. there are some things that corrilate, but for the most part it was just a regurgitation of popular charismatic evangelical theology(pre-tribulation rapture, money mongering, no suffering in this life if you are a Christian, ect).
I will even start this off. I have found minimal to nothing to support a rapture occurring prior to the kick off of the 2nd coming of Christ. Despite how I interpret it, I can find nothing that would allude to the "faithful" suddenly disappearing and not having to face the same trials as the rest of society.
I have never found anything supporting a rapture before the 2nd coming of Christ in the bible either. I am very familiar with how they interpret it -- passages and words are pulled out of context to fit a preconcieved idea that we shouldn't have to go through a tribulation or experience any pain or suffering in this life. Millions of people living in the world now and in the past would testify that this doctrine is simply false.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Goat »

Confused wrote:I will even start this off. I have found minimal to nothing to support a rapture occurring prior to the kick off of the 2nd coming of Christ. Despite how I interpret it, I can find nothing that would allude to the "faithful" suddenly disappearing and not having to face the same trials as the rest of society.
The concept of the 'rapture' is taken from the Millerites, and is based on a writting by Willima Miller in 1833. Very umbilical, and shows how far from Christianity that
much of the southern Christians have drifted.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #5

Post by OnceConvinced »

Yep, the rapture is definitely a myth. You have to take scripture way out of context to support it.

I used to love those "Left behind" movies until I started to study end times teaching in more depth. You can't just take Revelations on its own. There are other books, particularly Isaiah that need to be considered when studying this stuff.

I can barely remember much about those movies, because it's been so many years. But there are two things we can safely say will never happen.

1) A physical mark of the beast the must be taken
Even unbelievers would refuse to take it because it's a violation of human rights. The western world will not tolerate that. Also people will be afraid of the health aspects of it.

2) An anti-christ ruling the world.
The Western world will not tolerate a dictator. If the Anti-christ is real he will work behind the scenes, pulling the strings of those in power and not be known by anyone. Therefore he will not be worshiped by anyone as scripture seems to suggest he will. People would not tolerate such a person having complete control.
Last edited by OnceConvinced on Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeH
Sage

Post #6

Post by MikeH »

Hey, I just noticed this post. You will probably be interested in this post I just started, where I will be posting references and further explaining the fallacies of the pre-trib rapture view.

http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... php?t=6639