Criteria for salvation; what must we do?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Criteria for salvation; what must we do?

Post #1

Post by achilles12604 »

I have researched this myself and created a similar post in the holy huddle room. But I open it up for general discussion.

1) What exactly must be done to be saved?

2) What is the criteria used by God to determine judgement?

3) Who will be saved?

4) Who will NOT be saved?
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

TruthSeeker1
Apprentice

Re: Criteria for salvation; what must we do?

Post #2

Post by TruthSeeker1 »

achilles12604 wrote:I have researched this myself and created a similar post in the holy huddle room. But I open it up for general discussion.

3) Who will be saved?

Saved from who? Saved from what? Where does one get the idea of needing to be saved?

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by achilles12604 »

TruthSeeker1 wrote:
achilles12604 wrote:I have researched this myself and created a similar post in the holy huddle room. But I open it up for general discussion.

3) Who will be saved?

Saved from who? Saved from what? Where does one get the idea of needing to be saved?
The website is "Debating Christianity and religion" so of course I used the terms saved and salvation with regards to the Christian sense of the word. However, I have also left it open for other religions views on salvation if they care to put them forth.

When you re-read your post in light of the general website title, do my questions make more sense?

Also, I referred to other posts which of course answer your questions completely. Perhaps a quick reference to those would have cleared up the issues you asked about.

Here I will link them for you.

http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... php?t=5737
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

jgh7

Post #4

Post by jgh7 »

I have absolutely no idea as to the exact requirements of salvation. I am not one to judge such things; only Jesus can.

If I were to guess, I could only venture to say that people who outright disobeye the two great commandments of loving God and loving your neighbor are probably the ones more likely to not have salvation. I don't know what it would enail for one to truly disobeye each commandment, nor to what degree they need to disobeye to be denied salvation.

The only people I would think are very likely to be denied salvation are people like the pharisees who have seen for themselves the undeniable power and grace of God but despise it and favor their own desires. I suppose anyone who favors their desires to the point where they have complete disregard for others life and wellbeing is someone who would not be saved.

Rathpig
Sage

Post #5

Post by Rathpig »

I would like to expand on the redirected questions of TruthSeeker1.

Before the concept of "salvation" can become a valid criteria for discussion under the heading of "Apologia" the question of "why?" must be satisfied. Under the original posting of this OP as a point of doctrine then that would be a given, but in the context of apologia you must explain to be why I need "saving". I am not in a situation that requires such assistance, and I do not accept that the emotions of others can place me in such a situation.

Now with that stated, let me ask why am I needing this "salvation", from who or what am I being "saved", and what evidence exists that this is even a valid line of inquiry or discussion?

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by achilles12604 »

jgh7 wrote:I have absolutely no idea as to the exact requirements of salvation. I am not one to judge such things; only Jesus can.
Actually I agree totally. However, this can lead to beliefs which the general church simply wont accept, like mine.

If I were to guess, I could only venture to say that people who outright disobeye the two great commandments of loving God and loving your neighbor are probably the ones more likely to not have salvation. I don't know what it would enail for one to truly disobeye each commandment, nor to what degree they need to disobeye to be denied salvation.

The only people I would think are very likely to be denied salvation are people like the pharisees who have seen for themselves the undeniable power and grace of God but despise it and favor their own desires. I suppose anyone who favors their desires to the point where they have complete disregard for others life and wellbeing is someone who would not be saved.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Blood On Your Hands
Student

Post #7

Post by Blood On Your Hands »

Accept God's word as fact.
Pray for forgiveness when you sin.
3) Who will be saved?
Christians only
Everyone else

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by achilles12604 »

Rathpig wrote:I would like to expand on the redirected questions of TruthSeeker1.

Before the concept of "salvation" can become a valid criteria for discussion under the heading of "Apologia" the question of "why?" must be satisfied. Under the original posting of this OP as a point of doctrine then that would be a given, but in the context of apologia you must explain to be why I need "saving". I am not in a situation that requires such assistance, and I do not accept that the emotions of others can place me in such a situation.

Now with that stated, let me ask why am I needing this "salvation", from who or what am I being "saved", and what evidence exists that this is even a valid line of inquiry or discussion?
All this post tries to do is take the OP off course. If you don't understand where the OP is coming from then please feel free to research Christianity and the concepts of Salvation.

Now I would like to remain ON topic.

Rathpig
Sage

Post #9

Post by Rathpig »

achilles12604 wrote: All this post tries to do is take the OP off course. If you don't understand where the OP is coming from then please feel free to research Christianity and the concepts of Salvation.

Now I would like to remain ON topic.
Excuse me for my failure to properly communicate my point. I thought I outlined my concerns adequately, but I will elaborate further:

In the context of a discussion among Christians, you are correct that the terms would not need to be defined. However in the context of apologetics this is not exactly the case. Now I am well aware of the underlying concepts to which you are making reference. I truly intended no "derail" of your subject. In fact my questions go directly to your topic and to the context of apologetics. After all, and forgive me because I am new here, this forum section is "apologetics".

In the context of apologetics the question of "why?" is extremely topical for your subject.

Now your response raises the question to me of whether we are discussing a specific religious dogma or whether we are discussing the apologetics surrounding that dogma. If you are seeking an internal discussion between Christians then I will of course bow out as I am not of that specific demographic. However, if you wish to discuss the topic with a broader group of people then I would enjoy participation.

Once again I intended no derail and apologize if that is the perception I created.

twobitsmedia

Post #10

Post by twobitsmedia »

achilles12604 wrote:
If I understand the Bible correctly, nothing miust be done. Jesus said "it is finished."
Apparently by how what we believe about the words "It is finished." What we believe about them will influence our whole life. If we believe He finshed it, then we will not strive to finish it ourselves.
3) Who will be saved?
Those who believe Jesus finished it.
Everyone else.