Criteria for salvation; what must we do?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Criteria for salvation; what must we do?

Post #1

Post by achilles12604 »

I have researched this myself and created a similar post in the holy huddle room. But I open it up for general discussion.

1) What exactly must be done to be saved?

2) What is the criteria used by God to determine judgement?

3) Who will be saved?

4) Who will NOT be saved?
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Criteria for salvation; what must we do?

Post #81

Post by McCulloch »

Alethes wrote:The Word of God makes it absolutely clear what a person must do in order to be saved.
Yes, if you cherry pick the passages which teach your particular version.
  1. You have got to say the right things.
    Matthew 12:37 wrote:"For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."
    Acts 2:21 wrote:'AND IT SHALL BE THAT EVERYONE WHO CALLS ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED.'
    Romans 10:9 wrote:that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
  2. You must have good deeds.
    Matthew 16:27 wrote:For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and WILL THEN REPAY EVERY MAN ACCORDING TO HIS DEEDS.
    2 Corinthians 5:10 wrote:For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.
  3. You must believe the right things.
    Romans 3:28 wrote:For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law.
    Romans 5:1 wrote:Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
    Galatians 2:16 wrote:nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified.
    John 3:16 wrote:For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
    John 3:36 wrote:He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.
    Acts 16:31 wrote:They said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household."
  4. You must do God's will.
    Matthew 7:21 wrote:Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.
  5. You must experience a second birth.
    John 3:3,5 wrote:Jesus answered and said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God." ... Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
  6. You must believe, repent and be baptized.
    Mark 16:16 wrote:"He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.
    Acts 2:38 wrote:Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
  7. You must endure to the end.
    Matthew 10:22 wrote:You will be hated by all because of My name, but it is the one who has endured to the end who will be saved.
  8. Don't judge others.
    Matthew 7:1 wrote:Do not judge so that you will not be judged.
  9. You must be chosen by God
    Matthew wrote:For many are called, but few are chosen."
    Romans 8:29-30 wrote:For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.
    Romans 9:11 wrote:for though the twins were not yet born and had not done anything good or bad, so that God's purpose according to His choice would stand, not because of works but because of Him who calls,
    Ephesians 1:4-5 wrote:just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him In love he predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will,
  10. You must become poor.
    Matthew 19:23-24 wrote:And Jesus said to His disciples, "Truly I say to you, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
    Luke 6:24 wrote:But woe to you who are rich, for you are receiving your comfort in full.
    Luke 18:18-22 wrote:A ruler questioned Him, saying, "Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?"
    And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone. "You know the commandments, 'DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, DO NOT MURDER, DO NOT STEAL, DO NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER.'"
    And he said, "All these things I have kept from my youth."
    When Jesus heard this, He said to him, "One thing you still lack; sell all that you possess and distribute it to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."
  11. You must participate in some mystical feast.
    John 6:53-54 wrote:So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves. He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.
  12. You must have complete unselfish love for God and others.
    Luke 10:26-28 wrote:And He said to him, "What is written in the Law? How does it read to you?"
    And he answered, "YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."
    And He said to him, "You have answered correctly; DO THIS AND YOU WILL LIVE."
    1 John 4:7 wrote:Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #82

Post by OnceConvinced »

McCulloch wrote:
Alethes wrote:The Word of God makes it absolutely clear what a person must do in order to be saved.
Yes, if you cherry pick the passages which teach your particular version.
  1. You have got to say the right things.
    Matthew 12:37 wrote:"For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."
    Acts 2:21 wrote:'AND IT SHALL BE THAT EVERYONE WHO CALLS ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED.'
    Romans 10:9 wrote:that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
  2. You must have good deeds.
    Matthew 16:27 wrote:For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and WILL THEN REPAY EVERY MAN ACCORDING TO HIS DEEDS.
    2 Corinthians 5:10 wrote:For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.
  3. You must believe the right things.
    Romans 3:28 wrote:For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law.
    Romans 5:1 wrote:Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
    Galatians 2:16 wrote:nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified.
    John 3:16 wrote:For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
    John 3:36 wrote:He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.
    Acts 16:31 wrote:They said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household."
  4. You must do God's will.
    Matthew 7:21 wrote:Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.
  5. You must experience a second birth.
    John 3:3,5 wrote:Jesus answered and said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God." ... Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
  6. You must believe, repent and be baptized.
    Mark 16:16 wrote:"He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.
    Acts 2:38 wrote:Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
  7. You must endure to the end.
    Matthew 10:22 wrote:You will be hated by all because of My name, but it is the one who has endured to the end who will be saved.
  8. Don't judge others.
    Matthew 7:1 wrote:Do not judge so that you will not be judged.
  9. You must be chosen by God
    Matthew wrote:For many are called, but few are chosen."
    Romans 8:29-30 wrote:For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.
    Romans 9:11 wrote:for though the twins were not yet born and had not done anything good or bad, so that God's purpose according to His choice would stand, not because of works but because of Him who calls,
    Ephesians 1:4-5 wrote:just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him In love he predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will,
  10. You must become poor.
    Matthew 19:23-24 wrote:And Jesus said to His disciples, "Truly I say to you, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
    Luke 6:24 wrote:But woe to you who are rich, for you are receiving your comfort in full.
    Luke 18:18-22 wrote:A ruler questioned Him, saying, "Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?"
    And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone. "You know the commandments, 'DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, DO NOT MURDER, DO NOT STEAL, DO NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER.'"
    And he said, "All these things I have kept from my youth."
    When Jesus heard this, He said to him, "One thing you still lack; sell all that you possess and distribute it to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."
  11. You must participate in some mystical feast.
    John 6:53-54 wrote:So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves. He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.
  12. You must have complete unselfish love for God and others.
    Luke 10:26-28 wrote:And He said to him, "What is written in the Law? How does it read to you?"
    And he answered, "YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."
    And He said to him, "You have answered correctly; DO THIS AND YOU WILL LIVE."
    1 John 4:7 wrote:Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.
You also missed:

1. You must keep his commandments
1 John 2:4
The man who says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

That's a good list you have there, McCulloch. It puts in question the salvation of many Christians who claimed they are saved.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

The_Spirit_of_Truth
Student

Post #83

Post by The_Spirit_of_Truth »

achilles12604 wrote:I have researched this myself and created a similar post in the holy huddle room. But I open it up for general discussion.

3) Who will be saved?

If you want to know the criteria for salvation, please read the Secret of Salvation:

http://www.free-ebooks.net.ru/religion/ ... vation.htm

The rest is written in Amen the book by Pavel Kastl.

byhisgrace
Student

Post #84

Post by byhisgrace »

The_Spirit_of_Truth wrote:
achilles12604 wrote:I have researched this myself and created a similar post in the holy huddle room. But I open it up for general discussion.

3) Who will be saved?

If you want to know the criteria for salvation, please read the Secret of Salvation:

John 14:6 Jesus answered: I am THE way and THE truth and THE life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (emphasis added)

Be blessed

hourglass
Student

Post #85

Post by hourglass »

achilles wrote

3) Who will be saved?

Answer:

1)Believe in your heart unto righteousness and confess Rom 10:10 No one is saved until the end of their faith. One must continue in the faith, grounded and settled. Col 1:23

2) When the comforter came he repoved the world of sin; of sin because the believe not. John 16:8-9.

3) God knoweth who are His. II Tim 2:19

4) Those whos names are not written in the book of life. Rev 20:15

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #86

Post by Goat »

byhisgrace wrote:
The_Spirit_of_Truth wrote:

3) Who will be saved?

John 14:6 Jesus answered: I am THE way and THE truth and THE life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (emphasis added)

Be blessed
There are several interpretations of that. Some Christians believe belief is not needed, but he was the gate.

After all, it says in 1 timothy 4:10 Jesus came for ALL men, specially the beleivers.
You never DID explain why ALL means only some.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #87

Post by Cathar1950 »

Obviously most here are meaning “a” Christian view of salvation. There are many Christian views. There are also many Hebrew views.
Salvation has a long and interesting history going back to ancient Sumer and Egypt not to discount others.
Mac has provided a good list of Biblical passages and Goat has asked an interesting ad unanswered question.
The Persians also provided other ideas.
I guess the first question we need to ask it what we are supposed to be saved from in the first place.
Much of the Hebrew writings suggest salvation was from enemies, calamity or death.
So scholars suggest salvation would be for human well being.
SGF Brandon did some wonderful work on the history of the concepts of salvation.
It seems some see the righteous as being saved and it does seem odd that the focus is often on saving sinners.
Passages from either the Hebrew writings or Christian writings are only meaningful if they are taken as an authority. I will have to gather my sources and see if we can place some of the ideas within the historical settings and look at the evolution of ideas.

The_Spirit_of_Truth
Student

Post #88

Post by The_Spirit_of_Truth »

goat wrote:After all, it says in 1 timothy 4:10 Jesus came for ALL men, specially the beleivers.
You never DID explain why ALL means only some.
The ideal goal is to save all men, but in reality it is not possible at least not now. How can everybody be changed into energetically-compatible man with the place of God to be saved? Now an then somebody is accepted there but a low number of people only, which is gradually increasing, though.
When he, the Spirit of Truth, will come, he will guide you into all truth.
http://www.pkfreebooks.net/

desertghost

Post #89

Post by desertghost »

achilles12604 wrote: 1) What exactly must be done to be saved?
Going by the words of Christ..."No man shall enter heaven except he who does my Fathers will".

achilles12604 wrote: 2) What is the criteria used by God to determine judgement?
God knows ones innermost thoughts. And God is the best judge.

achilles12604 wrote: 3) Who will be saved?
Those whom God considers worthy of being saved. If one is saved, its because of Gods mercy.
achilles12604 wrote: 4) Who will NOT be saved?
Those who have let themselves go astray.
Those who too proud to believe in the Creator and those who stubbornly cling on to the vain hope that there is no God and that they just cease to exist after death.

Peace.

k-nug
Site Supporter

Post #90

Post by k-nug »

The OP has asked a question that has gone on for nine pages. Clearly, God did not make clear what He wants us to do to be 'saved'. I find it interesting that even Christians cannot agree what exactly must be done to be saved. the 20.000 or so Christian denominations cannot agree. So, most of us are pretty much screwed if we pick the wrong one. Oops. Eternal Damnation caused by confusion. I wonder if God will hold that against us wrong-church-pickers.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but the sentiment is real. Who can clearly state a way for salvation that every single Christian would agree on? Or even most? Who are us non-believers supposed to turn to if we think we need salvation? The Baptists? Holy Rollers? Catholics? Protestants? Jews For Jesus? The fact that there are so many different denoms with huge differences in the basic principle of salvation says something about God, or his instruction manual. Both have failed to clearly outline what the hell we are supposed to do.
My version of Genesis.
At first there was symmetry. Then something broke.