Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

jamesearl
Scholar

The Earth is Flat!

Post #1

Post by jamesearl »

Debate me wrong: The Earth is Flat !

The Bible stated it clearly, and the word of God is True. Some quotes from the Bible:

To whom then will ye liken God? ....It is he that sitteth upon the circle (chuwg) of the earth (Isaiah 40:18-23

"[T]he devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them"
(Matthew 4:1-12)

"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in. (Isaiah 40:22)"

Now, common sense should tell you that the Earth is Flat, else we would FALL OFF. This is not StarWars, there is no "magic" holding us here. God made the world for us, like a flat round disc to protect us.

Try proving me wrong, me and my theist friends shall defend it with LOGIC. Scoffers.

allansmith
Scholar

Post #21

Post by allansmith »

jamesearl wrote:
You have not given any evidence, just your claims. Provide EVIDENCE for your claims.
So far, you just look silly round-earther.
You have no mountains or hills where you live?

jamesearl
Scholar

Post #22

Post by jamesearl »

allansmith wrote:
jamesearl wrote:
You have not given any evidence, just your claims. Provide EVIDENCE for your claims.
So far, you just look silly round-earther.
You have no mountains or hills where you live?
What does mountains have to do with if the world is flat or not?

Nothing, KEEP TO THE TOPIC please. I realize you have problems proving your absurd round-world belief, but dont destroy the topic because you cant prove your fantasy.

Provide evidence if you believe the world is round.

allansmith
Scholar

Post #23

Post by allansmith »

jamesearl wrote:

Nothing, KEEP TO THE TOPIC please.
#-o

Flat is, you know... FLAT. Like a table, only more so. Flat is "every atom is at exactly identical height." I'm not sure what you measure from, but we'll let that pass. Also, let's generously ignore the uncertainty of the electron orbitals.

Now, mountains are evidentially "not flat". They have pointy bits.

Mountains certainly seem to be part of what most people would consider "the world".

Therefore, the world is not flat.

QED.

What's more, if the world was flat, the oceans would run to uniform thickness over the surface. Since they don't, the water must sit in hollows. Now hollows most certainly aren't flat.

So there you go.

And another. If the world is flat in all directions, it can have no edges. The sun and moon would run into the earth as they sink below the horizon.
Last edited by allansmith on Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

jamesearl
Scholar

Post #24

Post by jamesearl »

allansmith wrote:
jamesearl wrote:

Nothing, KEEP TO THE TOPIC please.
#-o

Flat is, you know... FLAT. Like a table, only more so. Flat is "every atom is at exactly identical height." I'm not sure what you measure from, but we'll let that pass. Also, let's generously ignore the uncertainty of the electron orbitals.

Now, mountains are evidentially "not flat". They have pointy bits.

Mountains certainly seem to be part of what most people would consider "the world".

Therefore, the world is not flat.

QED.
Eh, okay. Flat with mountains? How old are you? Do you understand "flat" and "round" in this sense?

Its a flat disc. Mountains, HOUSES and PEOPLE would make it "none flat" to of course, erh, but we are not talking about it. So keep to the topic pray. okay?

allansmith
Scholar

Post #25

Post by allansmith »

Oh, so now you mean "sort-of-flat". That can mean anything, can't it? A spherical balloon is sort-of-flat to an ant. :-k

byofrcs

Re: The Earth is Flat!

Post #26

Post by byofrcs »

jamesearl wrote:
byofrcs wrote:
jamesearl wrote:....

The bible states its a flat disc.
Where ?. I'm after a verse or something that says,

blah blah blah...The Earth is a flat disc....blah blah blah

Not interested in interpretations of drawing circles or encamped troops or sitting on mountains talking to Satan. It has to say it outright in clear unambiguous words.

While you are doing than you should also get out more. Travel to the Equator, travel to the polar circle. Think the same way that Eratosthenes did over 2000 years ago. You will get your answer.
Amazing, it MUST say "world is flat" for you to accept it? And if it says "this flat world of ours, is everyones", would NOT be valid. Amazing Logic.

Anyway, THIS IS OFF-TOPIC: Can you provide evidence that the round-world theory is true? Or can you only attack the messenger that show the truth?
No, it is YOU that is claiming it is flat but as yet have provided no evidence to support this theory.

But I'm happy to ignore that omission as in Science the source of a hypothesis can be from anywhere. Equally the Earth could be any number of solids.

My point of travelling from the Equator to the Polar circle was so that you experienced the changing cycle of the Sun as it appears to you on the ground as the seasons change. You'll need to get a passport first.

Anyway...a flat plate cannot explain the extreme shift in the number of hours of daylight from the polar circle (towards the pole) from 24 hours of night in mid-winter through to 24 hours of day in mid-summer. If some tilt was applied to the flat earth then ALL the earth would experience this effect. Quite clearly this doesn't happen.

A Spherical shape though, when tilted, does give us the right view of the Sun that we see. Funny that and not a single US army/government official in sight.

Also bizarrely enough on the flat-world map a plane flight from Sydney or Auckland to the UK has the straightest path over the North pole which isn't what happens as I usually stopover in Singapore. That is one huge dog-leg in the journey. Many other trips by sea or plane make little sense when projected onto the flat map unless non-straight lines are used to map the actual travel path (they are called Great circles ).

I'm happy that when travelling from one town to another in the same county or State then flat or curved makes little difference from the back of your donkey but unfortunately we're proud to not be American and actually have lived in more than one country and travelled from Summer to Winter in 2 days when flying from the Northern Hemisphere to the Souther Hemisphere and it is annoying having to pack two seasons of clothes.

So you have to...
a) explain the funny day and nights in Jokkmokk (Sweden) or anywhere else beyond the polar circles.
b) explain why the Summer and Winter games take place globally when in different hemispheres and how this correlates to the alternating seasons with the 6 month out-of-sync from the northern hemisphere to the southern.
c) explain the international plane routes (air companies are NOT in the habit of wasting fuel following weird paths to keep some flat-earth theory happy.

(I'm ignoring the squished in poles when I mention sphere).

jamesearl
Scholar

Post #27

Post by jamesearl »

byofrcs, ah, finally a debater, just one problem with your first words:
No, it is YOU that is claiming it is flat but as yet have provided no evidence to support this theory.
No. The world has been indoctrinated into the round-world model, You made this claim. The Bible states clearly the world is flat, i hold this to be true, and, as stated, we would fall off if it were round wouldn´t we? Anyway, to your post:
Also bizarrely enough on the flat-world map a plane flight from Sydney or Auckland to the UK has the straightest path over the North pole which isn't what happens as I usually stopover in Singapore. That is one huge dog-leg in the journey. Many other trips by sea or plane make little sense when projected onto the flat map unless non-straight lines are used to map the actual travel path (they are called Great circles ).
This is part of the round-world cnspiracy, to make you think the world is 'round'. I also understood its not a good idea of flying over the north pole, and therefore take different routes.

Mainly, a conspiracy by the government.
I'm happy that when travelling from one town to another in the same county or State then flat or curved makes little difference from the back of your donkey but unfortunately we're proud to not be American and actually have lived in more than one country and travelled from Summer to Winter in 2 days when flying from the Northern Hemisphere to the Souther Hemisphere and it is annoying having to pack two seasons of clothes.
To start with, it says your european, which means you do not hold the same true american spirit of GOD as we do, you are less reliable to start with, and your jealousy of our great nation is clear, but i shall put that aside, and point your flaws out:

We have different weathers all over the world, so winter to summer travel is nothing strange. I can fly from California to Alaska and TADAA. Oh, makes the round-world theory soooo accurate, oh, o, hold on, It makes no sense.

Busted.
a) explain the funny day and nights in Jokkmokk (Sweden) or anywhere else beyond the polar circles.
The sun stays there longer, whats the problem? Also, were do you get the information from, sweden is a godless nation, close to communist.

Your sources aren´t really, well, trustworthy.
b) explain why the Summer and Winter games take place globally when in different hemispheres and how this correlates to the alternating seasons with the 6 month out-of-sync from the northern hemisphere to the southern.
Different seasons all over the world, Like GOD made it. Still no prove for round-world. You are truly panicking aren´t you.
c) explain the international plane routes (air companies are NOT in the habit of wasting fuel following weird paths to keep some flat-earth theory happy.
Conspiracy. They BELIEVE the world is round because of the false propaganda spread by the government. They are terrified to fly over the edge.

Once again, no evidence for a round-world. It seems that you try to refute the Bible more then showing EVIDENCE for a round-world. Really silly.

Busted, try again.

jamesearl
Scholar

Post #28

Post by jamesearl »

It seems that none of the round-worlders here want to face the facts. They seem to trot around the topic, and refuse to give evidence for their silly idea of a round-world.

So, i thought i would give some more info, just general. Further down is a picture of how i think the world (world being earth in this case) truly look;

As you can see, you have 'cold' areas, and 'warm' areas, so the critique that some places are warm and cold would be something that would not happen on a flat-world, makes no sense whatsoever. If so, explain your stance.

Regarding the way our airplanes route their flight, i found this rather suitable quote: I <snip> people assume the Earth is round. Therefore, given the RE mapping and the idea that you have to fly east to get to where you're going, flying another direction wouldn't make much sense. Thus, it's not done and travel times take longer because they aren't flying direct, they are simply following the heading they are taught that will get them to their destination <snip>

Wyvern
Under Probation

Post #29

Post by Wyvern »

jamesearl wrote:It seems that none of the round-worlders here want to face the facts. They seem to trot around the topic, and refuse to give evidence for their silly idea of a round-world.

So, i thought i would give some more info, just general. Further down is a picture of how i think the world (world being earth in this case) truly look;

As you can see, you have 'cold' areas, and 'warm' areas, so the critique that some places are warm and cold would be something that would not happen on a flat-world, makes no sense whatsoever. If so, explain your stance.

Regarding the way our airplanes route their flight, i found this rather suitable quote: I <snip> people assume the Earth is round. Therefore, given the RE mapping and the idea that you have to fly east to get to where you're going, flying another direction wouldn't make much sense. Thus, it's not done and travel times take longer because they aren't flying direct, they are simply following the heading they are taught that will get them to their destination <snip>
I really hope you are a Poe, otherwise I find it amazing how one can refute a fact that was discovered BEFORE THE BIBLE WAS WRITTEN especially when the only things needed to discover this was a couple sticks, a ruler and some basic mathematics.

upallnite
Sage

Post #30

Post by upallnite »

How can it be day time and night time at the same time on a flat earth?
Why is it never night time across the entire planet at the same time?

The moon can't cause darkness or block the sun because the Bible says the moon is a light source. Please explain how this is possible. Keep in mind I am not familiar with the Flat Earth position and will need examples of how your answer works with something I can see. (Like a CD and a flash light)

**This is fun! I can't wait to see the answer. If you give a reasonable and verifiable answer I will "convert" and help you argue for a flat earth**