Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

jamesearl
Scholar

The Earth is Flat!

Post #1

Post by jamesearl »

Debate me wrong: The Earth is Flat !

The Bible stated it clearly, and the word of God is True. Some quotes from the Bible:

To whom then will ye liken God? ....It is he that sitteth upon the circle (chuwg) of the earth (Isaiah 40:18-23

"[T]he devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them"
(Matthew 4:1-12)

"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in. (Isaiah 40:22)"

Now, common sense should tell you that the Earth is Flat, else we would FALL OFF. This is not StarWars, there is no "magic" holding us here. God made the world for us, like a flat round disc to protect us.

Try proving me wrong, me and my theist friends shall defend it with LOGIC. Scoffers.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: The Earth is Flat!

Post #51

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:19 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:02 am This is still twisting what the Bible does say to make it fit what science says (except in evolution it seems) when it quite clear that Genesis opens with the creation of the whole earth and heavens from void, and divided earth from water ...
The earth was void/empty means, it had no form, because there was no dry land in the beginning. By what the Bible tells, this planet was first totally covered by water, until God stretched the dry land over the water.

Now the earth was formless and empty. Darkness was on the surface of the deep. God's Spirit was hovering over the surface of the waters.
Gen. 1:2

God said, "Let the waters under the sky be gathered together to one place, and let the dry land appear," and it was so. God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters he called Seas. God saw that it was good.
Gen. 1:9-10

To him who spread out the earth above the waters...
Ps. 136:6

Please notice, this doesn't mean that earth could not be like shown in the UN flag map. I think it is still possible that our planet is "flat", because no good proof for sphere. :D
Misrepresentor :D Sure Genesis (n fact correctly ;) ) has a world of water and one land group (Pangaea originally Lemuria as I recall) which is ALL the land there was. It is not your scribed Eden -circle in the middle east on a (postulated and global) wider world. That theory (which I remember even if you don't) contradicts both Bible and science and I'd suggest you start again from the beginning.

I Need hardly argue about the evidence for a globe (which at one time you appeared accept but you notoriously invent theories on the hoof) but of course photos from space won't persuade the denialist any more than hard and linked evidence for the cetan sequence. Which you dismissed with strawman demands (Mammoths from butterflies), cherry picking points that you dismissed with unsupported claims (1) and in short faithbased denial with illogical and selective denials, not to speak ignorance both of the Bible and science.

Just that it isn't about how far you can sink in denial, but how much the Believer can look at damn near flat earthism and not ask "Is that what I sound like?"

Yes friends, if you do Bible apologetics, that is just how you do sound.

(1) tell that to the fish with very efficient rayed fins, and in fact I'd bet that sharks (cartilage without bones) have 'flippers' without bones, but they evolved from pre-skeletal fish and were so well adapted that have never speciated since then.

Yes, though it's hard to find a quotable quote, it's clear that shark fins (effectively flippers) are made of cartilage (which is why they make good soup) and your excuse old son was a made up untruth you hoped would stand because if you didn't know better, nor would I.

And you know what? I bet you are not even ashamed at being shewn up, just like any Bible apologists 'Well what other lie can I invent or borrow that he can't answer?' Isn't that how it works? It is how it works :D .