Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

jamesearl
Scholar

The Earth is Flat!

Post #1

Post by jamesearl »

Debate me wrong: The Earth is Flat !

The Bible stated it clearly, and the word of God is True. Some quotes from the Bible:

To whom then will ye liken God? ....It is he that sitteth upon the circle (chuwg) of the earth (Isaiah 40:18-23

"[T]he devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them"
(Matthew 4:1-12)

"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in. (Isaiah 40:22)"

Now, common sense should tell you that the Earth is Flat, else we would FALL OFF. This is not StarWars, there is no "magic" holding us here. God made the world for us, like a flat round disc to protect us.

Try proving me wrong, me and my theist friends shall defend it with LOGIC. Scoffers.

Wyvern
Under Probation

Post #41

Post by Wyvern »

jamesearl wrote:
Umm no, Eratosthenes calculated very accurately the circumference of the world approximately 2200 years ago.
1. Christianity did not exist then.
2. ONE GUY is not THE WORLD.

Who listened to his insane claims?
1. What does this have to do with the price of tea in China?
2. You are correct but there are many instances in science where one man was able to change how the world is viewed. It should be noted that it took a number of other scientists with irrefutable evidence before this idea was widely accepted, even when the church used its full bearing to try to stifle this knowledge.
Dogma does not make for good science. For evidence simply go to the top of a skyscraper especially if it is close to a major body of water and you can actually see the curvature of the earth, or the next time you take a flight look out the window.
Very nice. Maybe you should start providing evidence for your round-world theory instead of bashing our theory? If round-world is real, it should be easy enough for you to prove, oh, and explain how the water does not fall off.
A few hundred years ago there was an anglican priest called Isaac Newton who through observation and the new mathematical system he also invented called calculus came up with a little theory called gravity, you may of heard of it or are you a proponent of the intelligent falling theory?

What greater evidence do you need, all you need do is look out the window next time you fly or go to the observation deck of a skyscraper to see the curvature of the Earth

Ciero
Student

Post #42

Post by Ciero »

I posted it in another one and I will post it here

I'm pretty sure in your bible Revelation 7.1 it talks about the earth having four corners.

That sounds like a square shaped earth to me....or is one of those few times where we don't take the bible as literal truth. Its funny how creationists can jump back and forth between "the Bible is flawless and it must be taken literal!" to "Well what they meant was...:

First of all who the heck are you (being creationists in general) and how are you qualified to tell anyone what people that lived a thousand plus years ago were really thinking or trying to say? I'm pretty sure being that the book you call the bible has been translated a thousand times itself into some langauges that are currently dead. You got people translating words they don't understand and making a "best guess" and with that the damn book has probably vastly different than the original.

Oh and we should just take the modern version (KJV) just because right? Yeah theres no way during his time that he wouldn't be trying to push his own agenda or the churches for that matter....I'm sure he did it out of the kindness of his heart. The bible has been changed countless times due to translation issues and political BS since the book was conceived.

I challenge you creationist, go read your KJV of the bible and then go read the Eastern orthodox Bible and tell me that they match up word for word. The KJV's from then and now are almost completely different. Hell I got bibles at my house that don't even match up word for word and there all in english and there all KJV's!

Funny how that happens, but yeah we should take that "Word for Word" as being the truth....Yeah right <_<

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Re: The Earth is Flat!

Post #43

Post by The Nice Centurion »

Goat wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:07 pm
Easyrider wrote:
goat wrote:
Easyrider wrote:
jamesearl wrote:Debate me wrong: The Earth is Flat !

The Bible stated it clearly, and the word of God is True. Some quotes from the Bible:

To whom then will ye liken God? ....It is he that sitteth upon the circle (chuwg) of the earth (Isaiah 40:18-23

"[T]he devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them"
(Matthew 4:1-12)
Rubbish.

First, explain to me why it's so apparently conclusive in your mind that what the devil showed Jesus was physical and not a spiritual revelation? After all, the devil is a spiritual being, isn't he? And do you even begin to make us want to believe that, even in Jesus' day, man was so stupid as to think there was a mountain anywhere in the world where one could see all the kingdoms of the world? Common sense, then, should educate you that this wasn't something you see with your physical eyes, but a spiritual vision.

As for your "Bible Flat Earth" theory, educate yourself on the following material:

Does the Bible teach that the earth is flat?

http://www.tektonics.org/af/earthshape.html

I seriously doubt you have even studied any materials that go against your pre-conceived notions.
Oh yes. you are bringing up the false claim that chuwg can be three dimentional.

That has been busted many times. A circle is two dimentional, and that actually supports Jamesearls contention, not yours.
Think critically now, Goat.

Flat Earth?

Is. 40:22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in...

Strong’s 2329: chuwg; from 2328; a circle: -- circle, circuit, compass.

But if you recall, your preferred Hebrew word for sphere (ball) was 'duwr."

"Duwr" is the preferred spelling for Isaiah 18:22.

This word no more inidicates sphericity than our other word, for it is used by Isaiah elsewhere:

Is. 29:3 And I will camp against thee round (duwr) about, and will lay siege against thee with a mount, and I will raise forts against thee.

Obviously, the soldiers could not camp in the shape of a sphere around the city! Based on this and other usages, this word appears to be making a statement about a circular pattern rather than giving reference to a given shape. (Tektonics)

In addition, the vantage point of Isaiah 40:22 is God looking down upon the earth, so stating it looks like a circle or circular is hardly saying it is not spherical.
Your invalid arguements have been busted before. Trying to distract by trying to analyse another word is not valid.

Let's see you find another incidence where chuwg was used as spherical, and is obviously spherical, you might have a case. However, you don't..or rather J.P HOlding doesn't.. so he is using a distraction method to avoid the fact that Chuwg is flat.

Such dishonesty.
Yes, the Bible Universe has a flat Planet Earth❗
🚀
It is nor earnest to argue otherwise.
🕋
And does anyone remember?; During Iraq war some Iraqi imams had nothing better to do than to argue on television for a flat earth.

Their argument: Since the quran doesnt tell anything about earths shape, it simply MUST be in the most obvious shape: FLAT❗🐷

But I do say nothing against that logical theological argumentation. And it fits ig someone wants a crossover between the Bible Universe and the Quran Universe🐘
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

Savant

Post #44

Post by 1213 »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:57 am Yes, the Bible Universe has a flat Planet Earth
That is not true. Bible tells that there are mountains, so earth can't be flat. :D

Diogenes
Guru

Post #45

Post by Diogenes »

[Replying to jamesearl in post #1]
True, without actually saying "the world is flat" the Bible depicts an Earth that is not only flat, but that it is stationary and that the Sun, planets and stars go round it. The books of the Bible were written by men and they reflect the myths and beliefs of those men. Same with the Quran. Virtually all religious writing reflects the understanding of the world at the time of writing.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #46

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:09 am
The Nice Centurion wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:57 am Yes, the Bible Universe has a flat Planet Earth
That is not true. Bible tells that there are mountains, so earth can't be flat. :D
Ho ho.Nicelittlejoke. But the Bible also used a metaphor of a flat earth with impressions on. Clear additional evidence that the Bible thinks the earth is a flat circle with mountains on. The earth is still flat so far as the Bible reads.

A nice little quip of yours and we all appreciate it but just to remove all doubt, that is all it is and does not alter the evidence that the Bible indicates a flat earth -disk with geofeatures upon it and that is all the earth was and no globe for it to be scribed onto as I recall you argued to try to fit Bible text to science.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #47

Post by Diogenes »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:44 pm The earth is still flat so far as the Bible reads.

A nice little quip of yours and we all appreciate it but just to remove all doubt, that is all it is and does not alter the evidence that the Bible indicates a flat earth -disk with geofeatures upon it and that is all the earth was and no globe for it to be scribed onto as I recall you argued to try to fit Bible text to science.
The odd thing is the persistence of some fundamentalists that the Bible does not depict a flat Earth. Their argument is not based on scripture, but on ideas of Christians and Jews millennia after the Old Testament was written.
The ancient Israelites envisaged the universe as a flat disc-shaped Earth floating on water, heaven above, underworld below. Humans inhabited Earth during life and the underworld after death; there was no way that mortals could enter heaven, and the underworld was morally neutral; only in Hellenistic times (after c. 330 BCE) did Jews begin to adopt the Greek idea that it would be a place of punishment for misdeeds, and that the righteous would enjoy an afterlife in heaven. In this period too the older three-level cosmology in large measure gave way to the Greek concept of a spherical Earth suspended in space at the center of a number of concentric heavens.

Savant

Post #48

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:44 pm But the Bible also used a metaphor of a flat earth with impressions on. Clear additional evidence that the Bible thinks the earth is a flat circle with mountains on. The earth is still flat so far as the Bible reads.
Bible doesn't say earth is flat. And it doesn't give any support for the interpretation that earth is flat.

It would be also good to know, in Bible earth means dry land, not the whole planet.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #49

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:12 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:44 pm But the Bible also used a metaphor of a flat earth with impressions on. Clear additional evidence that the Bible thinks the earth is a flat circle with mountains on. The earth is still flat so far as the Bible reads.
Bible doesn't say earth is flat. And it doesn't give any support for the interpretation that earth is flat.

It would be also good to know, in Bible earth means dry land, not the whole planet.
This is still twisting what the Bible does say to make it fit what science says (except in evolution it seems) when it quite clear that Genesis opens with the creation of the whole earth and heavens from void, and divided earth from water just as in the Babylonian sky -dome model. The gradual creation (with the sun made after daylight as had been pointed out before with your attempts at excuses) shows the gradual providing of the earth (whole world, not just a scribed - out area of the middle east) with veg, then fish, then animals (which is the wrong order, but then you deny the evidence of deep time evolution, don't you? And it is clear it is the whole (wrong) order of creation of the whole earth Genesis is describing and it absolutely fits the Babylonian snow -dome cosmos and conflicts with scientific cosmology, Geography and palaeontology.

You may deny all that, rejecting evidence, making up excuses and even ignoring and denying what the Bible says. Your choice. We know there is little hope of Believers ever admitting the election wasn't stolen, but the hope and trust is that reasonable people will see the excuses made by the Deniers (let the reader understand ;) - that's my little quip) are bad, denialist and we trust the browser (and hopefully more) will see through the whole Big Lie put out both by AiG and Maga. Because they are two sides of the same coin.

Savant

Post #50

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:02 am This is still twisting what the Bible does say to make it fit what science says (except in evolution it seems) when it quite clear that Genesis opens with the creation of the whole earth and heavens from void, and divided earth from water ...
The earth was void/empty means, it had no form, because there was no dry land in the beginning. By what the Bible tells, this planet was first totally covered by water, until God stretched the dry land over the water.

Now the earth was formless and empty. Darkness was on the surface of the deep. God's Spirit was hovering over the surface of the waters.
Gen. 1:2

God said, "Let the waters under the sky be gathered together to one place, and let the dry land appear," and it was so. God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters he called Seas. God saw that it was good.
Gen. 1:9-10

To him who spread out the earth above the waters...
Ps. 136:6

Please notice, this doesn't mean that earth could not be like shown in the UN flag map. I think it is still possible that our planet is "flat", because no good proof for sphere. :D