Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

jamesearl
Scholar

The Earth is Flat!

Post #1

Post by jamesearl »

Debate me wrong: The Earth is Flat !

The Bible stated it clearly, and the word of God is True. Some quotes from the Bible:

To whom then will ye liken God? ....It is he that sitteth upon the circle (chuwg) of the earth (Isaiah 40:18-23

"[T]he devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them"
(Matthew 4:1-12)

"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in. (Isaiah 40:22)"

Now, common sense should tell you that the Earth is Flat, else we would FALL OFF. This is not StarWars, there is no "magic" holding us here. God made the world for us, like a flat round disc to protect us.

Try proving me wrong, me and my theist friends shall defend it with LOGIC. Scoffers.

byofrcs

Re: The Earth is Flat!

Post #2

Post by byofrcs »

jamesearl wrote:Debate me wrong: The Earth is Flat !

The Bible stated it clearly, and the word of God is True. Some quotes from the Bible:

To whom then will ye liken God? ....It is he that sitteth upon the circle (chuwg) of the earth (Isaiah 40:18-23

"[T]he devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them"

"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in. (Isaiah 40:22)"

Now, common sense should tell you that the Earth is Flat, else we would FALL OFF. This is not StarWars, there is no "magic" holding us here. God made the world for us, like a flat round disc to protect us.

Try proving me wrong, me and my theist friends shall defend it with LOGIC. Scoffers.
I've never really worked out why people say it is flat unless the word "flat" (in whatever language the bits of the Bible were written in) is actually used.

You haven't provided any evidence. You can draw a circle on a sphere. A circle doesn't imply flat. The Devil and the Kingdoms obviously just focused on the Middle East stuff (just like modern US politics which ignores the rest of the world).

So unless you can show where it says the world is flat, like totally flat, the Bible just says what a typical person would say whenever it was written i.e. it provides no insight nor advances our understanding of astronomy or science in any way but just documents what was already known (same applies to the nonsense claims in the Qu'ran).

jamesearl
Scholar

Post #3

Post by jamesearl »

byofrcs wrote:

I've never really worked out why people say it is flat unless the word "flat" (in whatever language the bits of the Bible were written in) is actually used.

You haven't provided any evidence. You can draw a circle on a sphere. A circle doesn't imply flat. The Devil and the Kingdoms obviously just focused on the Middle East stuff (just like modern US politics which ignores the rest of the world).

So unless you can show where it says the world is flat, like totally flat, the Bible just says what a typical person would say whenever it was written i.e. it provides no insight nor advances our understanding of astronomy or science in any way but just documents what was already known (same applies to the nonsense claims in the Qu'ran).
The bible states its a flat disc. And everyone knew it was flat, as promoted by the Church until 1500 AD. Its just under the last 500 years the false propaganda of the "round erth theory" has come.

I already provided evidence, IF YOU DONT ACCEPT IT, provide the EVIDENCE that the world is a BALL then. Oh, you can not? Well then, The Bible is right, you are wrong.

IF ANYONE WISH TO CONTRIBUTE TO THIS DEBATE, THEY HAVE TO SHOW EVIDENCE FOR THEIR STANCE (Pro or Con).

Easyrider

Post #4

Post by Easyrider »

Rubbish.

First, explain to me why it's so apparently conclusive in your mind that what the devil showed Jesus was physical and not a spiritual revelation? After all, the devil is a spiritual being, isn't he? And do you even begin to make us want to believe that, even in Jesus' day, man was so stupid as to think there was a mountain anywhere in the world where one could see all the kingdoms of the world? Common sense, then, should educate you that this wasn't something you see with your physical eyes, but a spiritual vision.

As for your "Bible Flat Earth" theory, educate yourself on the following material:

Does the Bible teach that the earth is flat?

http://www.tektonics.org/af/earthshape.html

I seriously doubt you have even studied any materials that go against your pre-conceived notions.

jamesearl
Scholar

Post #5

Post by jamesearl »

Easyrider wrote:

Rubbish.

First, explain to me why it's so apparently conclusive in your mind that what the devil showed Jesus was physical and not a spiritual revelation? After all, the devil is a spiritual being, isn't he? And do you even begin to make us want to believe that, even in Jesus' day, man was so stupid as to think there was a mountain anywhere in the world where one could see all the kingdoms of the world? Common sense, then, should educate you that this wasn't something you see with your physical eyes, but a spiritual vision.

As for your "Bible Flat Earth" theory, educate yourself on the following material:

I seriously doubt you have even studied any materials that go against your pre-conceived notions.
If you believe the earth is "round", provide EVIDENCE. Your comment are not relevant Easyrider, keep to the topic, prove the world to be round if you believe this. Dont try to refute the truth of the Bible.

And here is where we alert the reader to another key word-concept that is missing in Hebrew: There was no varying word for a "sphere" - a three-dimensional circle.
You are not seriously saying Hebrew did not have a world for Sphere, and that they used FLAT as qual? hahaha, YOU ARE FUNNY.

sphere:
כוכב, גרם שמים; ספרה

flat:
נחת, במול (במוסיקה

Two different words. But no worries, anyway, THIS IS OFF-TOPIC, prove me wrong that the EARTH IS FLAT.

Damn you guys are scared when it comes to it. You talk and talk but provide O EVIDENCE refuting Gods word. You cant prove the world is round can you? Your round-world theory dont hold up, oh, and i havent FALLEN OFF your round world yet, i wonder why?

BECAUSE IT IS FLAT !!!
Last edited by jamesearl on Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Goat »

Easyrider wrote:

Rubbish.

Oh yes. you are bringing up the false claim that chuwg can be three dimentional.

That has been busted many times. A circle is two dimentional, and that actually supports Jamesearls contention, not yours.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Easyrider

Post #7

Post by Easyrider »

goat wrote:
Easyrider wrote:

Rubbish.

Oh yes. you are bringing up the false claim that chuwg can be three dimentional.

That has been busted many times. A circle is two dimentional, and that actually supports Jamesearls contention, not yours.
Think critically now, Goat.

Flat Earth?

Is. 40:22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in...

Strong’s 2329: chuwg; from 2328; a circle: -- circle, circuit, compass.

But if you recall, your preferred Hebrew word for sphere (ball) was 'duwr."

"Duwr" is the preferred spelling for Isaiah 18:22.

This word no more inidicates sphericity than our other word, for it is used by Isaiah elsewhere:

Is. 29:3 And I will camp against thee round (duwr) about, and will lay siege against thee with a mount, and I will raise forts against thee.

Obviously, the soldiers could not camp in the shape of a sphere around the city! Based on this and other usages, this word appears to be making a statement about a circular pattern rather than giving reference to a given shape. (Tektonics)

In addition, the vantage point of Isaiah 40:22 is God looking down upon the earth, so stating it looks like a circle or circular is hardly saying it is not spherical.

jamesearl
Scholar

Post #8

Post by jamesearl »

Easyrider wrote:
goat wrote:
Easyrider wrote:

Rubbish.

Flat Earth?

Is. 40:22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in...

This word no more inidicates sphericity than our other word, for it is used by Isaiah elsewhere:

Is. 29:3 And I will camp against thee round (duwr) about, and will lay siege against thee with a mount, and I will raise forts against thee.

Obviously, the soldiers could not camp in the shape of a sphere around the city! Based on this and other usages, this word appears to be making a statement about a circular pattern rather than giving reference to a given shape. (Tektonics)

In addition, the vantage point of Isaiah 40:22 is God looking down upon the earth, so stating it looks like a circle or circular is hardly saying it is not spherical.
You claim that the earth is NOT flat.

PROVIDE EVIDENCE or admit you have none, and your views are because of indoctrination into the round-world-theory.

EVIDENCE, please, not semantics.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Goat »

Easyrider wrote:
goat wrote:
Easyrider wrote:

Rubbish.

Flat Earth?

Your invalid arguements have been busted before. Trying to distract by trying to analyse another word is not valid.

Let's see you find another incidence where chuwg was used as spherical, and is obviously spherical, you might have a case. However, you don't..or rather J.P HOlding doesn't.. so he is using a distraction method to avoid the fact that Chuwg is flat.

Such dishonesty.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

byofrcs

Post #10

Post by byofrcs »

jamesearl wrote:....

The bible states its a flat disc.
Where ?. I'm after a verse or something that says,

blah blah blah...The Earth is a flat disc....blah blah blah

Not interested in interpretations of drawing circles or encamped troops or sitting on mountains talking to Satan. It has to say it outright in clear unambiguous words.

While you are doing than you should also get out more. Travel to the Equator, travel to the polar circle. Think the same way that Eratosthenes did over 2000 years ago. You will get your answer.