Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

jamesearl
Scholar

The Earth is Flat!

Post #1

Post by jamesearl »

Debate me wrong: The Earth is Flat !

The Bible stated it clearly, and the word of God is True. Some quotes from the Bible:

To whom then will ye liken God? ....It is he that sitteth upon the circle (chuwg) of the earth (Isaiah 40:18-23

"[T]he devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them"
(Matthew 4:1-12)

"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in. (Isaiah 40:22)"

Now, common sense should tell you that the Earth is Flat, else we would FALL OFF. This is not StarWars, there is no "magic" holding us here. God made the world for us, like a flat round disc to protect us.

Try proving me wrong, me and my theist friends shall defend it with LOGIC. Scoffers.

jamesearl
Scholar

Re: The Earth is Flat!

Post #11

Post by jamesearl »

byofrcs wrote:
jamesearl wrote:....

The bible states its a flat disc.
Where ?. I'm after a verse or something that says,

blah blah blah...The Earth is a flat disc....blah blah blah

Not interested in interpretations of drawing circles or encamped troops or sitting on mountains talking to Satan. It has to say it outright in clear unambiguous words.

While you are doing than you should also get out more. Travel to the Equator, travel to the polar circle. Think the same way that Eratosthenes did over 2000 years ago. You will get your answer.
Amazing, it MUST say "world is flat" for you to accept it? And if it says "this flat world of ours, is everyones", would NOT be valid. Amazing Logic.

Anyway, THIS IS OFF-TOPIC: Can you provide evidence that the round-world theory is true? Or can you only attack the messenger that show the truth?

Easyrider

Post #12

Post by Easyrider »

goat wrote:
Easyrider wrote:
goat wrote:
Easyrider wrote:
jamesearl wrote:Debate me wrong: The Earth is Flat !

The Bible stated it clearly, and the word of God is True. Some quotes from the Bible:

To whom then will ye liken God? ....It is he that sitteth upon the circle (chuwg) of the earth (Isaiah 40:18-23

"[T]he devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them"
Rubbish.

First, explain to me why it's so apparently conclusive in your mind that what the devil showed Jesus was physical and not a spiritual revelation? After all, the devil is a spiritual being, isn't he? And do you even begin to make us want to believe that, even in Jesus' day, man was so stupid as to think there was a mountain anywhere in the world where one could see all the kingdoms of the world? Common sense, then, should educate you that this wasn't something you see with your physical eyes, but a spiritual vision.

As for your "Bible Flat Earth" theory, educate yourself on the following material:

Does the Bible teach that the earth is flat?

http://www.tektonics.org/af/earthshape.html

I seriously doubt you have even studied any materials that go against your pre-conceived notions.
Oh yes. you are bringing up the false claim that chuwg can be three dimentional.

That has been busted many times. A circle is two dimentional, and that actually supports Jamesearls contention, not yours.
Think critically now, Goat.

Flat Earth?

Is. 40:22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in...

Strong’s 2329: chuwg; from 2328; a circle: -- circle, circuit, compass.

But if you recall, your preferred Hebrew word for sphere (ball) was 'duwr."

"Duwr" is the preferred spelling for Isaiah 18:22.

This word no more inidicates sphericity than our other word, for it is used by Isaiah elsewhere:

Is. 29:3 And I will camp against thee round (duwr) about, and will lay siege against thee with a mount, and I will raise forts against thee.

Obviously, the soldiers could not camp in the shape of a sphere around the city! Based on this and other usages, this word appears to be making a statement about a circular pattern rather than giving reference to a given shape. (Tektonics)

In addition, the vantage point of Isaiah 40:22 is God looking down upon the earth, so stating it looks like a circle or circular is hardly saying it is not spherical.
Your invalid arguements have been busted before. Trying to distract by trying to analyse another word is not valid.

Let's see you find another incidence where chuwg was used as spherical, and is obviously spherical, you might have a case. However, you don't..or rather J.P HOlding doesn't.. so he is using a distraction method to avoid the fact that Chuwg is flat.

Such dishonesty.
You can't even handle the one that was given you. Pretty pathetic.

AB

Post #13

Post by AB »

jamesearl wrote:
byofrcs wrote:
jamesearl wrote:....

The bible states its a flat disc.
Where ?. I'm after a verse or something that says,

blah blah blah...The Earth is a flat disc....blah blah blah

Not interested in interpretations of drawing circles or encamped troops or sitting on mountains talking to Satan. It has to say it outright in clear unambiguous words.

While you are doing than you should also get out more. Travel to the Equator, travel to the polar circle. Think the same way that Eratosthenes did over 2000 years ago. You will get your answer.
Amazing, it MUST say "world is flat" for you to accept it? And if it says "this flat world of ours, is everyones", would NOT be valid. Amazing Logic.

Anyway, THIS IS OFF-TOPIC: Can you provide evidence that the round-world theory is true? Or can you only attack the messenger that show the truth?
Well.. if you claim it does.... yeah....

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by Goat »

Easyrider wrote:
goat wrote:
Easyrider wrote:
goat wrote:
Easyrider wrote:
jamesearl wrote:Debate me wrong: The Earth is Flat !

Rubbish.

First, explain to me why it's so apparently conclusive in your mind that what the devil showed Jesus was physical and not a spiritual revelation? After all, the devil is a spiritual being, isn't he? And do you even begin to make us want to believe that, even in Jesus' day, man was so stupid as to think there was a mountain anywhere in the world where one could see all the kingdoms of the world? Common sense, then, should educate you that this wasn't something you see with your physical eyes, but a spiritual vision.

As for your "Bible Flat Earth" theory, educate yourself on the following material:

Does the Bible teach that the earth is flat?

http://www.tektonics.org/af/earthshape.html

I seriously doubt you have even studied any materials that go against your pre-conceived notions.
Oh yes. you are bringing up the false claim that chuwg can be three dimentional.

That has been busted many times. A circle is two dimentional, and that actually supports Jamesearls contention, not yours.
Think critically now, Goat.

Flat Earth?

Is. 40:22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in...

Strong’s 2329: chuwg; from 2328; a circle: -- circle, circuit, compass.

But if you recall, your preferred Hebrew word for sphere (ball) was 'duwr."

"Duwr" is the preferred spelling for Isaiah 18:22.

This word no more inidicates sphericity than our other word, for it is used by Isaiah elsewhere:

Is. 29:3 And I will camp against thee round (duwr) about, and will lay siege against thee with a mount, and I will raise forts against thee.

Obviously, the soldiers could not camp in the shape of a sphere around the city! Based on this and other usages, this word appears to be making a statement about a circular pattern rather than giving reference to a given shape. (Tektonics)

In addition, the vantage point of Isaiah 40:22 is God looking down upon the earth, so stating it looks like a circle or circular is hardly saying it is not spherical.
Your invalid arguements have been busted before. Trying to distract by trying to analyse another word is not valid.

Let's see you find another incidence where chuwg was used as spherical, and is obviously spherical, you might have a case. However, you don't..or rather J.P HOlding doesn't.. so he is using a distraction method to avoid the fact that Chuwg is flat.

Such dishonesty.
You can't even handle the one that was given you. Pretty pathetic.
Except, of course, I did. I pointed out that your arguement was not dealing with the word "Chwug" but was a diversionary tactic into another word. I see you avoid that point. You also can not find an incident of any use of Chwug that is obivously a ball. I'll make it easier for you. You don't have to restrict yourself to scripture.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Zzyzx »

jamesearl wrote:Can you provide evidence that the round-world theory is true?
Yes, I can provide evidence that the spherical Earth theory is correct.

1. The shadow of the Earth on the moon during a lunar eclipse is a distinct curve.

2. A ship sailing away disappears from view hull-first. The mast is the last thing seen. It does not simply appear to get smaller as distance increases.

3. Pictures or views from high altitudes or from space show a curved horizon or a spherical Earth.

4. Sphericity fits with a heliocentric solar system (the earth revolves around the sun and not vice versa) and heliocentric solar system fits with astronomical observations of the sun, the planets and other celestial objects.

5. Alternating daylight and darkness, annual changes in daylight period, seasonal climatic changes are consistent with a rotating, revolving spherical Earth with an axis inclined with respect to the plane of orbit -- and cannot be rationally explained with a “Flat Earth”.

Now, would you care to defend the biblical flood tale as being literally true?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

jamesearl
Scholar

Post #16

Post by jamesearl »

This is very interesting, of all the people, an atheist takes my challenges whiles all theist run and hide, refusing to provide "proof" for their round-world-theory. Very interesting indeed.

Yes, I can provide evidence that the spherical Earth theory is correct.
Maybe you think i will be 'nice' to you because you´re a friend. Dont think so mate, You are On !!!
1. The shadow of the Earth on the moon during a lunar eclipse is a distinct curve.
Could be a mind-trick, similar to a rainbow, proves nothing.

Busted.
2. A ship sailing away disappears from view hull-first. The mast is the last thing seen. It does not simply appear to get smaller as distance increases.
Once again, no proof, we see a lot of "visions" out on the sea. Mirages in the desert etcetera, proves nothing.

Busted
3. Pictures or views from high altitudes or from space show a curved horizon or a spherical Earth.
False propaganda spread by the american government. We can make any picture look however we want, Proves NOTHING.

Busted.
4. Sphericity fits with a heliocentric solar system (the earth revolves around the sun and not vice versa) and heliocentric solar system fits with astronomical observations of the sun, the planets and other celestial objects.
The evolutionary propaganda about heliocentric solar system is part of the godless spreading and destruction of the holy world, means nothing.

Busted.
5. Alternating daylight and darkness, annual changes in daylight period, seasonal climatic changes are consistent with a rotating, revolving spherical Earth with an axis inclined with respect to the plane of orbit -- and cannot be rationally explained with a “Flat Earth”.
I dont really undestand this one, it goes dark, it goes light, because of the SUN. Scientist are generally indoctrinated into believing the round-world-theory, and hence, are biased.
Now, would you care to defend the biblical flood tale as being literally true?
Dont try to change the topic Dave. Prove to me that the round-world-theoryis true, you have shown no evidence as of yet.

And you have not explained how we would still be here if the world was round, as we would FALL OFF.

BUSTED.

As most of you can see, so far no one has been able to provide evidence for their round-world theory, and the only logical answer, which was stated in the bible thousands of years ago, is that its Flat.

Or are you going to provide me with computer generated image (imagery, haha, pun there, sorry) showing the world to be 'round'?

1. If earth was round, we would fall off.
2. If earth was round, all the water would fall down.

A Picture of our flat-earth, as also shown on the UNITED NATIONS flag, one more evidence for us.

allansmith
Scholar

Post #17

Post by allansmith »

Even more, the psalmist tells us the the earth is firmly established, and that it cannot be moved!

Another psalmist tells me that he was woven together in the depths of the earth. A new and startling gynecological insight.

The Bible fails as a science book, and fails badly. It also utterly fails as a cook book, a car-repair manual, and a telephone directory.

The Bible recounts the slow revelation of God to a very remarkable group of people. It's about God and Man, not about science.

jamesearl
Scholar

Post #18

Post by jamesearl »

allansmith wrote:Even more, the psalmist tells us the the earth is firmly established, and that it cannot be moved!

Another psalmist tells me that he was woven together in the depths of the earth. A new and startling gynecological insight.

The Bible fails as a science book, and fails badly. It also utterly fails as a cook book, a car-repair manual, and a telephone directory.

The Bible recounts the slow revelation of God to a very remarkable group of people. It's about God and Man, not about science.
Should i ask you why you are off-topic?

The debate wasThe Earth is Flat, PROVE ME WRONG. Can you not do this? Can you´re 'round-world-theory' handle scrutinizing?

Seems not, as only one, a atheist, has tried to defend this world-view, and he failed miserably.

allansmith
Scholar

Post #19

Post by allansmith »

jamesearl wrote:
I was answering the real question.
The Earth is Flat, PROVE ME WRONG[/b]. Can you not do this? Can you´re 'round-world-theory' handle scrutinizing?

Seems not, as only one, a atheist, has tried to defend this world-view, and he failed miserably.
Prove you wrong? Easy. A mountain isn't flat. It's got a pointy bit on top.

Want some more?

The curved shadows of eclipses. The round moon. The curved horizon. The movement of waves against the horizon. The way a ship comes over the horizon. A careful observation of shadows in wells. The swing of a pendulum. Water going down the plug-hole.

Of course, the very notion of roundness is bound up with the way we experience spacetime. In 4D, the earth is anything but round and far from flat.

jamesearl
Scholar

Post #20

Post by jamesearl »

allansmith wrote:
jamesearl wrote:
I was answering the real question.
The Earth is Flat, PROVE ME WRONG[/b]. Can you not do this? Can you´re 'round-world-theory' handle scrutinizing?

Prove you wrong? Easy. A mountain isn't flat. It's got a pointy bit on top.

Want some more?

The curved shadows of eclipses. The round moon. The curved horizon. The movement of waves against the horizon. The way a ship comes over the horizon. A careful observation of shadows in wells. The swing of a pendulum. Water going down the plug-hole.

Of course, the very notion of roundness is bound up with the way we experience spacetime. In 4D, the earth is anything but round and far from flat.
You have not given any evidence, just your claims. Provide EVIDENCE for your claims.

So far, you just look silly round-earther.