Yes
17%

Total votes: 94

adherent
Apprentice

Harry Potter

Post #1

Post by adherent »

Do you think Harry Potter contains anti-Christian material?
Does it overall convey an anti-Christian feeling?
Shout to the Lord
All the earth
Let us sing
Power and majesty
Praise to the King
Mountains bow down
And the seas will roar
At the sound of Your Name

historylass
Student

Harry Potter is pro-Christian

Post #21

Post by historylass »

J K Rowling has revealed that her Harry Potter books contained deliberate Christian themes. She did not want to reveal this earlier, because she thought it might give the story away.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jh ... ter120.xml

I thought this was a great twist in the whole is Harry Potter anti-Christian argument. I've heard many Christians speak out against Harry Potter, but I've also heard Christians say they took their children to see Harry Potter and really felt like God was in the movie theatre. I have also heard Christians say that books like Lord of the Rings and Chronicle of the Narnia are okay because they are written by Christians, but the supernatural themes in Harry Potter are inspired by the devil. Now that J K Rowling has revealed she is a Christian, where does that leave their argument?

For me, I have always enjoyed supernatural themes in books. In fact, I believe they can do things that few other books can - point to the religious and spiritual aspects of life, without putting anyone who is not a Christian off reading them. Lord of the Rings and Chronicles of Narnia were not books that were written to deliberately preach to people a Christian way of life. Because they were written by Christians, many Christians find much of spiritual value in the books. For those that are not Christians, they are simply a very entertaining read. I think Harry Potter may also be viewed in this light.

I think also that books containing supernatural themes may provide a vehicle through which people start to consider their own beliefs about religion, spirituality and God. I'm not someone who believes in converting all non-Christians to my way of thinking. But I admit I do like to see people thinking about God and religion. If someone comes to me because something like Harry Potter has gotten them thinking on certain spiritual themes, then I certainly don't want to be turning around and saying well that book's inspired by the devil.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #22

Post by OnceConvinced »

Catharsis wrote:The answer to the Poll question is Yes.

The Harry Potter phenomenon represents only one of many vehicles by which witchcraft is being popularized in the youth culture (and the youth are taking the bait). Movies and televisions shows target young audiences with the allure of how powerful and 'hip' one can be through occult practices, and a plethora of books (e.g., The Real Witch's Handbook) and websites offer detailed instruction and guidance in how one can become a witch.

Today in America, the most popular form of witchcraft is Wicca. Its founder, British occultist Gerald Gardner, was a personal friend of the notorious satanist Aleister Crowley, a member of the Fellowship of Crotona, a co-Masonic organization. Gardnerian Wicca combined the practices and ideas of his coven together with those of the Ordo Templi Orientalis, Eastern philosophy and Freemasonry. Today, Wicca has become an amalgam of medieval witchcraft, feminism, goddess worship, pantheism, "deep ecology," and worship of the earth.
Catharsis, do you know anything about Wicca at all? Have you ever seen a Harry Potter movie? If yes, then you will know they have absolutely nothing in common!

MagusYanam
Guru

Post #23

Post by MagusYanam »

Catharsis wrote:The Harry Potter phenomenon represents only one of many vehicles by which witchcraft is being popularized in the youth culture (and the youth are taking the bait). Movies and televisions shows target young audiences with the allure of how powerful and 'hip' one can be through occult practices, and a plethora of books (e.g., The Real Witch's Handbook) and websites offer detailed instruction and guidance in how one can become a witch.
Indeed, Catharsis, I doubt you can draw any real link between Harry Potter (which is speculative fiction firmly in the tradition of J. R. R. Tolkien and C. S. Lewis) and literature which explicitly endorses the use of occult practise.
historylass wrote:I thought this was a great twist in the whole is Harry Potter anti-Christian argument. I've heard many Christians speak out against Harry Potter, but I've also heard Christians say they took their children to see Harry Potter and really felt like God was in the movie theatre. I have also heard Christians say that books like Lord of the Rings and Chronicle of the Narnia are okay because they are written by Christians, but the supernatural themes in Harry Potter are inspired by the devil. Now that J K Rowling has revealed she is a Christian, where does that leave their argument?
True, historylass; it doesn't really take a genius or a press conference with Ms. Rowling to figure that there is a fairly obvious Christian slant to the Harry Potter books. And it's not just the last book either, though Deathly Hallows does put a significant emphasis on the theology of martyrdom. Throughout the series, there is a firm rejection of the idea that power for power's own sake is worth pursuing, and an embrace of overcoming evil through powerlessness and self-sacrificing love which is fully and wholly Christian. I have always argued and will continue to argue that to condemn the Harry Potter books for using magic as the window-dressing is shallow and intellectually bankrupt, especially in light of the greater themes.
If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe.

- Søren Kierkegaard

My blog

MikeH
Sage

Post #24

Post by MikeH »

I've never heard that Harry Potter was anti-Christian, just that it made witchcraft seem cool to kids, which could be said of any book in this genre including LOTR and CON. Supposedly, the Golden Compass, which is coming out this winter is much more anti-Christian, as expressed by the author himself.

Fallibleone
Guru

Post #25

Post by Fallibleone »

My thoughts on whether Harry Potter is anti-Christian or not can be summed up in two words - 'Who cares?'

Similarly, the film of the book Nothern Lights by Philip Pullman. People use literature and film to get all sorts of points across. There have been plenty of Pro-Christian books and also some films. I didn't complain about them. I didn't picket the local cinema until they were taken off. The books are brilliant, and I hope the film is too. If the author was preaching death to all Christians, those who have a problem with his work might have a point.

David E
Student

Post #26

Post by David E »

Most Christians think that Harry Potter books are well-written and teach good morals to children, and are in no way about religion.

That's one of the rather odd things about the series. There's absolutely no sign of religion being practiced by anyone in the series.

No problem for me. I don't care one way or the other. But it is rather interesting how the topic is sometimes avoided altogether in some children's literature.

KitsuneShoujoAi
Student

Post #27

Post by KitsuneShoujoAi »

Harry Potter has magic in it, same as The Chronicles of Narnia and The Lord of the Rings. Harry Potter is just as likely to turn your kid into a Satanist as these series. Harry Potter is a battle between good and evil and the main theme is love. Anyone who reads the series can actually see how it is more Christian than not, even if it never directly mentions God. Note, Narnia and Lord of the Rings never directly mention God either.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #28

Post by OnceConvinced »

KitsuneShoujoAi wrote:Harry Potter has magic in it
Harry Potter has no magic in it. Magic does not exist. It is all fantasy. Magic is simply trickery and has rational explanations behind it. Just check out TV shows which expose that sort of thing. They used to be popular in the 90s. Don't see so many of them now. Pen and Teller are still around though.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

puddleglum
Sage

Post #29

Post by puddleglum »

Most of the arguments about whether Harry Potter is antiChristian focus on the magic in the books. But have you ever considered Harry's behavior and the kind of example he is setting for the readers? He isn't always honest about his activities, even with his friends. He always means to do what is right but sometimes the methods he employs to do this are questionable. I think this is more important than the fact that magic is used so much in the books.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #30

Post by OnceConvinced »

Samwise wrote:Most of the arguments about whether Harry Potter is antiChristian focus on the magic in the books. But have you ever considered Harry's behavior and the kind of example he is setting for the readers? He isn't always honest about his activities, even with his friends. He always means to do what is right but sometimes the methods he employs to do this are questionable. I think this is more important than the fact that magic is used so much in the books.
If we are to say avoid Harry Potter books and movies because some of Harry's methods aren't as morally upright as we'd like, we'd have to avoid just about every book and movie ever. :)

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World