Reason Alone

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

theleftone

Reason Alone

Post #1

Post by theleftone »

It would seem 'reason alone' is the mantra of any when it comes to dealing with beliefs. This isn't always applied consistently by those pushing the idea, but it seems a noble concept. I, myself, have often supported such a notion. Though, in the recent times, I have come to question the wisdom of such a notion.

Question for debate:
Should reason alone be the only process for belief formation? Why or why not?

My question rides on the idea of 'reasoning with the evidence at hand.' So, as it's counterpoint, would it be okay to allow one's belief to be formed through emotions, societal pressures, and so forth? Why or why not?

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Reason Alone

Post #2

Post by Goat »

tselem wrote:It would seem 'reason alone' is the mantra of any when it comes to dealing with beliefs. This isn't always applied consistently by those pushing the idea, but it seems a noble concept. I, myself, have often supported such a notion. Though, in the recent times, I have come to question the wisdom of such a notion.

Question for debate:

My question rides on the idea of 'reasoning with the evidence at hand.' So, as it's counterpoint, would it be okay to allow one's belief to be formed through emotions, societal pressures, and so forth? Why or why not?
The problem with 'reason alone' when it comes to beliefs is that it starts with a basic premise for which there is no way to test. If you start with an invalid assumption,all your 'reasoning' based on that assumption is suspect.

With reason alone, you can not also 'test' your conclusions with comparing results of your conclusions with the real world. It is circular in nature.

On the other hand, if you allows beliefs to be formed through emotions, social pressures, etc etc etc.. you have a basis for comparison. Some beliefs can cause
you to come to conclusions that can be demonstrated to be false or harmful.
FOr example. YEC can be demonstrated to be false.. Other beliefs, while far
out and crazy, might encourage the person to act in a way that is healthier for them by avoiding narcotics, and to live a healthier life style.

If someones basic assumptions lead them to a healthier life style that does not impact the rest of society, who cares what they believe or why. If their basic
reasoning and assumptions negatively effect the rest of society, and IMO my in
specifically, then.. well, we have good reason NOT to trust their initial judgments.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by BeHereNow »

Question for debate:
If I follow goat correctly, I am in agreement that “reasoning alone” can be circular in nature.
“Reason alone” can lead me to trust a teacher-source, or method-source. This “trust” is another word for faith.
Reasoning may show me that my biology book is accurate and true in all known respects or information, it describes the biological world accurately. I then trust my book to give accurate and True information in things unknown or unverifiable to me. I also trust the authors or publishers in works that I have not fully investigated. Reasoning tells me that if the author is accurate in general biology, he will be accurate in books on birds. I will of course use reasoning to look for flaws or errors, but my premise will always be “true unless shown otherwise”. This is an act of faith, based on reasoning.

In the end, “reason alone” is inaccurate, as there will be at least one pillar based on faith.

If I trust the scientific method, I will use it to reason out the nature of the world.
If my trust is unwavering, I will reason that there is nothing but the material world, since this is all the scientific method can examine, describe, or reveal.
My reasoning alone has lead me to trust the scientific method. I have (substantiated) faith in the scientific method. Reasoning tells me my faith leads me to the Truth.

If I trust sacred writings, I will use reason to see that my sacred texts describe the True nature of the universe.
If my sacred texts seem to differ from competing methods (such as the scientific method), I will use reason to decide that divine revelation is more accurate than empirical observation. My faith in the strength of divine revelation trumps the foibles of mankind.

My method is reason, tempered with intuition. I have faith this leads me to the Truth, or so I have reasoned.
A special transmission outside the scriptures;
Depending not on words and letters;
Pointing directly to the human mind;
Seeing into one''s nature, one becomes a Buddha.