How can Christianity convince Jews to see the light?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Confused
Site Supporter

How can Christianity convince Jews to see the light?

Post #1

Post by Confused »

Historically, Jews were oppressed/persecuted/exterminated before the coming of Jesus and they continued to be oppressed/persecuted/exterminated after the death of Jesus. They continue this same pattern even today.
Now, Christianity has flourished, has become the dominant religion. Jesus, as the Christ, has brought unity to the masses. And still Jews continue to reject Him as the Messiah.

What can Christians offer Jews that would make them see the light? Make them understand, in the context that Jews would understand within their own ideology, that Jesus is the way, the only way?
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

jamesearl
Scholar

Re: How can Christianity convince Jews to see the light?

Post #2

Post by jamesearl »

Confused wrote:Historically, Jews were oppressed/persecuted/exterminated before the coming of Jesus and they continued to be oppressed/persecuted/exterminated after the death of Jesus. They continue this same pattern even today.
Now, Christianity has flourished, has become the dominant religion. Jesus, as the Christ, has brought unity to the masses. And still Jews continue to reject Him as the Messiah.

What can Christians offer Jews that would make them see the light? Make them understand, in the context that Jews would understand within their own ideology, that Jesus is the way, the only way?
Easy Confused, they can do what they always done; Threaten to kill them if they dont converty.

A massive global War against the Jews, extermination if they dont embrace Christianity, that the way Christianity got Europe, moawahahaha.....

oh, Historical fact is awful i know...

twobitsmedia

Post #3

Post by twobitsmedia »

Confused wrote:Historically, Jews were oppressed/persecuted/exterminated before the coming of Jesus and they continued to be oppressed/persecuted/exterminated after the death of Jesus. They continue this same pattern even today.

In all honesty I would say nothing. The Jews are Gods people and he can deal with them if they are wrong. The Bible records a long history of it. To the Jew, Jesus is not the way and the ones I have met generally find it offensive to even imply it.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Confused »

twobitsmedia wrote:

In all honesty I would say nothing. The Jews are Gods people and he can deal with them if they are wrong. The Bible records a long history of it. To the Jew, Jesus is not the way and the ones I have met generally find it offensive to even imply it.
I don't think I would consider it offensive. I think that if Jesus was the Messiah, then one should be able to logically present evidence to a Jewish friend that this is true. Now, if the person asked you to stop, then I would consider it offensive to continue.

But, since this is a debate forum, why could it not be addressed here without getting offensive?
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Goat »

Confused wrote:
twobitsmedia wrote:

I don't think I would consider it offensive. I think that if Jesus was the Messiah, then one should be able to logically present evidence to a Jewish friend that this is true. Now, if the person asked you to stop, then I would consider it offensive to continue.

But, since this is a debate forum, why could it not be addressed here without getting offensive?
The problem is that many of the Evangelists who attempt to bring up Jesus as the Messiah are not very respectful. Not only that, there are a number of missionaries that specifically target the Jews, and try to give the false information about Jewish beliefs (mostly through ignorance). When people use misinformation, and hardball tactics all the time, it gets tiring and offensive. Some of the tactics are less than savory.

Think how you reacted to certain members on this board judgmental attitude. That is a very common attitude in missionaries when attempting conversion of people of the Jewish faith.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

twobitsmedia

Post #6

Post by twobitsmedia »

Confused wrote:
twobitsmedia wrote:

I don't think adressing it here is offensive at all. But, I can't just make up an answer, so I will have to stick with mine from my perpective. Cop out, maybe. But "present evidence" of which there is none?

PS, I also think that if Jesus IS the Messiah, than He can reach them if he wants to. I put a lot more faith in the power of Jesus than I do in evangelistic efforts.
Last edited by twobitsmedia on Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Confused »

twobitsmedia wrote:
Confused wrote:
twobitsmedia wrote:

I don't think addressing it here is offensive at all. But, I can't just make up an answer, so I will have to stick with mine from my perspective. Cop out, maybe. But "present evidence" of which there is none?

I appreciate your honesty. Though I don't understand how there can be no evidence that the Jews have it wrong, I still appreciate it when someone says they just don't have the answer. It is much more honorable than making something up.
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Confused »

goat wrote:
Confused wrote:
twobitsmedia wrote:

The problem is that many of the Evangelists who attempt to bring up Jesus as the Messiah are not very respectful. Not only that, there are a number of missionaries that specifically target the Jews, and try to give the false information about Jewish beliefs (mostly through ignorance). When people use misinformation, and hardball tactics all the time, it gets tiring and offensive. Some of the tactics are less than savory.

Think how you reacted to certain members on this board judgmental attitude. That is a very common attitude in missionaries when attempting conversion of people of the Jewish faith.
So it would be safe to say that if one started to present their truth with respect and knowledge, then perhaps one could start to explain to the Jews why they have it wrong?
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

twobitsmedia

Post #9

Post by twobitsmedia »

Confused wrote:

I appreciate your honesty. Though I don't understand how there can be no evidence that the Jews have it wrong, I still appreciate it when someone says they just don't have the answer. It is much more honorable than making something up.
Sorry, my fault for not making myself clearer. Since I am not Jewish, I cannot present a case for Judaism that I think would be entirely credible either for or against. The "evidence" I was referring to was for Jesus as Messiah, which is basically my position. But is is reasoned for without evidence.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Goat »

Confused wrote:
goat wrote:
Confused wrote:
twobitsmedia wrote:

So it would be safe to say that if one started to present their truth with respect and knowledge, then perhaps one could start to explain to the Jews why they have it wrong?
Some do...but you have to remember there are so many of missionaries that are specifically targeting the Jews, and they also do not understand that many of the Jewish basic assumptions about the Messiah and God are different to start with that they end up mangling the whole business. Plus, for ever respectful one that you get, you have 10 arrogant ones whose attitude is 'if you don't you will burn in hell'.

The mere fact that Christians are ASSUMING that the Jews got the Messiah all wrong is a measure of disrespect to begin with. And , usually, by the time someone
who is knows at least SOMETHING about the Jewish faith and attitudes comes along, the person of Jewish faith has been assualted by the rude ones so many times that there is an automatic defense mechanism that goes up.

How would you like to be approached by someone that basically says 'Everything you believe about God is wrong, and you are damned if you don't accept MY version of the Messiah? Even if the person is kind, polite and knowledgeable, that is the message they basically are sending.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella