Comparing Three Musketeers

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Comparing Three Musketeers

Post #1

Post by achilles12604 »

Due to a different thread, I have been researching the life of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi quite a bit. I have come to several conclusions about this man, but my over all impression is much like Albert Einstein:
[center]
Generations to come, it may be, will scarcely believe that such a one, as this, ever in flesh and blood walked upon this earth.
[/center]

He was truly an impressive individual. So after reading up on him for a bit. I have come to wonder something.

I have not yet researched this, but I intend to tonight. I want to throw this out there like chum for a bit and see what develops. Then I will address it myself.

Who was more like Jesus; Gandhi or Paul? Prove it!
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Comparing Three Musketeers

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

achilles12604 wrote:Who was more like Jesus; Gandhi or Paul? Prove it!
For clarification: Do you mean the character of Jesus presented in the Gospels or the historical Jesus? Do you mean Paul, as he presents himself in his letters, or is there any more realistic and unbiased source of information about Paul?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by achilles12604 »

McCulloch wrote:
achilles12604 wrote:Who was more like Jesus; Gandhi or Paul? Prove it!
For clarification: Do you mean the character of Jesus presented in the Gospels or the historical Jesus? Do you mean Paul, as he presents himself in his letters, or is there any more realistic and unbiased source of information about Paul?
For clarification the idea of Jesus presented by the Gospels, (which I still think is an accurate representation of him but that is another thread), and Paul as he presents himself in his letters because I am unaware of any other in depth sources on the man.
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Zzyzx »

achilles12604 wrote:For clarification the idea of Jesus presented by the Gospels, (which I still think is an accurate representation of him but that is another thread), and Paul as he presents himself in his letters because I am unaware of any other in depth sources on the man.
Achilles,

You are asking for a comparrison of a person who is known from a wide variety of sources to have been physically real , who is well known from his widely reported communication -- to two individuals who are very incompletely known from very limited sources (with little or no extra-biblical support for existence OR characteristics of Jesus).
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by achilles12604 »

Zzyzx wrote:
achilles12604 wrote:For clarification the idea of Jesus presented by the Gospels, (which I still think is an accurate representation of him but that is another thread), and Paul as he presents himself in his letters because I am unaware of any other in depth sources on the man.
Achilles,

You are asking for a comparrison of a person who is known from a wide variety of sources to have been physically real , who is well known from his widely reported communication -- to two individuals who are very incompletely known from very limited sources (with little or no extra-biblical support for existence OR characteristics of Jesus).
Yes. . . . . and?

I am asking people to compare what we know of Gandhi to the people presented in the bible, namely Jesus and Paul.

I am not sure why this is difficult. What are the attributes commonly associated with Jesus and why? There have been probably millions of quotes of peoples opinions about the man presented by the NT. If no one here is aware of any of the attributes commonly associated with Jesus, then google what others have said.

Same for Paul and Gandhi.

This is just like 9th grade english when we had to compare and contrast Beowolf with King Leonidas. Or history class when we compared and contrasted the military leadership of Alexander the Great and Robert E Lee.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #6

Post by The Nice Centurion »

[Replying to achilles12604 in post #5]
Beowulf vs Leonidas . . .

The one is mythology who fought against rather fictional giants, while the other historical commander fought against a known as real military threat.

Alexander vs Robert E. Lee . . .

Hard. Evolution of military tactics for example was not yet really on the rise in Alex's time, but basic stuff in Bobbys time.

Jesus versus Paul versus Mahatma Gandhi

Jesus and Gandhi both seem to have gotten their worldviews from Jainism, a branch of Hinduism.

Paul of his Letters or the other Paul of acts may have been a sort of Joseph Smith, if you know what I mean.

Jesus and Paul both accepted slavery as natural comfort not to be spoken up against, while Gandhi showed to be an enemy of the black race which he found inferior.

All three in this were normal offsprings of their time of course.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"