Intent

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Fallibleone
Guru

Intent

Post #1

Post by Fallibleone »

We're human, we have emotions, and some of the people toward whom were losing our tempers, etc. do things with the intention of insulting and angering Christians.
I saw this in the Holy Huddle room on the thread entitled 'Why do we lose it?'

Questions: Do you ever post comments or say things with the express intention of insulting or angering Christians? Do you think the poster has a point? Do you think loss of temper is a justifiable response?
''''What I am is good enough if I can only be it openly.''''

''''The man said "why you think you here?" I said "I got no idea".''''

''''Je viens comme un chat
Par la nuit si noire.
Tu attends, et je tombe
Dans tes ailes blanches,
Et je vole,
Et je coule
Comme une plume.''''

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Intent

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

Fallibleone wrote:Do you ever post comments or say things with the express intention of insulting or angering Christians?
No. Stir them up a bit and challenge them, but not insult or anger.
Fallibleone wrote:Do you think the poster has a point?
Yes. There are some non-theists who seem to not get the point of civility.
Fallibleone wrote:Do you think loss of temper is a justifiable response?
No. It is like an admission that reasonable arguments have failed you.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Rathpig
Sage

Post #3

Post by Rathpig »

Personally I do not think religion deserves respect. it is one thing to be civil toward an individual, but I see no reason to be respectful or civil towards their superstition. If this upsets them, then perhaps they needed to be upset.

Religion is a voluntarily-accepted mental disease. Perhaps when people realize that their psychological crutch is not automatically respected they will begin to think for themselves on more issues. This is very important in the United States were superstitious thinking has invaded every level of government, and public officials can not assumed to act in an objective manner on any issue. We have a Mormon and a fundamentalist Protestant running for Republican nomination. Both these men should be ridiculed for their ignorant beliefs. The very fact that they accept demonstrably foolish doctrine as literal should be a de facto disqualification from any position of authority. It isn't that they are merely religious, they are fanatical fools.

Were the public not equally comprised of far too many foolish thinkers then these men would be openly ridiculed for their fantasies.

Religion is ignorance, and it is long past time that it should be viewed as such.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

Does anyone think that rudeness and insults are a good way to persuade someone of the error of his beliefs?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Rathpig
Sage

Post #5

Post by Rathpig »

McCulloch wrote:Does anyone think that rudeness and insults are a good way to persuade someone of the error of his beliefs?
Often people think that insults to their religion are personal insults to them. I often don't care how it is perceived. Racism is an example in recent years where the open ridicule and non-acceptance of racist behavior has been very effective in changing public attitudes.

But my goal is never to change anyone's specific belief. Only they can change their beliefs, but I don't have to respect their pet philosophical ignorance. In many ways this attitude of respecting belief has become horrible for Western society. Utter crap like Scientology is allowed legitimacy because no one wants to be offensive. Homeopathy is allowed to flourish because no one wants to call it for the stupidity that it clearly represents.

For the protection of society from bad thinking and in support for intellectual integrity, every educated person should not accept the utterance of stupidity without rebuttal.

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Cephus »

McCulloch wrote:Does anyone think that rudeness and insults are a good way to persuade someone of the error of his beliefs?
Anyone who can't tell the difference between insulting their beliefs and insulting themselves isn't likely to ever recognize their errors in the first place. These are people who have so tightly bound up their self-image with their beliefs that they'll never be able to handle being without them. There are, as pathetic as it is, some people who cannot handle life without their ridiculous beliefs. Those people are lost and should be left to living their lives with their theological tin-foil hats.

The ones who can tell the difference are the ones worth worrying about.

Openmind
Sage

Post #7

Post by Openmind »

Anyone who can't tell the difference between insulting their beliefs and insulting themselves isn't likely to ever recognize their errors in the first place.
I think I agree. Some people are just plain lost. They need it so badly that nothing will dissuade them. Talk to the ones who are on the border. Those who are intelligent enough to string a few lines of reasoning together, but still clutch onto belief in the divine.

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by Cephus »

Openmind wrote:I think I agree. Some people are just plain lost. They need it so badly that nothing will dissuade them. Talk to the ones who are on the border. Those who are intelligent enough to string a few lines of reasoning together, but still clutch onto belief in the divine.
It's not that we shouldn't talk to them all, but the ones that are so warped in their perceptions of reality that they can't let it go serve only as an example to others how utterly messed up Christianity is. You're not trying to convert the terminally gullible, just those who may be watching who are more reasonable and on the fence about the whole thing. If you find yourself talking privately to a member of the eternal God Squad, do yourself a favor and give up, you're just wasting your time unless you're a glutton for punishment.

Openmind
Sage

Post #9

Post by Openmind »

You're not trying to convert the terminally gullible, just those who may be watching who are more reasonable and on the fence about the whole thing. If you find yourself talking privately to a member of the eternal God Squad, do yourself a favor and give up, you're just wasting your time unless you're a glutton for punishment.
Yeah - I learnt this the hard way. The God Squad, as you term them, are impossible to reason with. It is kinda fun to argue though...

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Cathar1950 »

I doubt that is is very effective. It certainly doesn't work on me.
I get perplexed when confronted with arrogance or some that insist their particular belief or “opinion” is presented as fact, truth, and history when it is clearly not the case and then I am accused of being malformed by some skeptical liberal non-believing mind set and told I am personally rejecting God, light and their “holy” words. Sometimes we are even threated with hell.
But I can't say all Christians present themselves in this manner. I know many “good” Christians as well as other faith that are warm sincere people where their religion looks good on them.
Religion has a function or it wouldn't still be parts of our culture but at times it does seem to extend beyond their reasonable boundaries.