Lake of fire

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Lake of fire

Post #1

Post by achilles12604 »

Question for everyone. The lake of fire referred to by the traditional Christian/ Catholic/ Fundi churches.

Is it literally a lake of fire? It is figurative? Other?
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

byofrcs

Re: Lake of fire

Post #11

Post by byofrcs »

achilles12604 wrote:Question for everyone. The lake of fire referred to by the traditional Christian/ Catholic/ Fundi churches.

I think this topic does enlighten us on examples of revisionism in Christianity.

The use of Jesus and Love of the Sinner compared to the OT God has for some in modern Christianity also taken Hell and revised that from a place in which the fire is never quenched to annihilation and absence from God (I can only refer 2nd hand to The Mystery of Salvation: The Story of God's Gift by Doctrine Commission of the General Synod of the Church of England as (like hell) I have not seen this).

On the other hand, in the Quran, though I haven't verified all the references but it has 512 entries here in which
fire and doom appear a lot.

I love, "Unbelievers will be tormented forever with fire. When their skin is burned off, a fresh skin will be provided." Sura 4:56. Some Muslims even use that description as scientific evidence in the Quran. Nice.

Still it wasn't that long ago that Christians gagged his tongue, stripped him naked and burnt Giordano Bruno at the stake. Nice.

chibiq
Student

Post #12

Post by chibiq »

Cathar1950 wrote:
chibiq wrote:
byofrcs wrote:
McCulloch wrote:
chibiq wrote:A friend and I have been mulling over whether or not angels and other supernatural creatures are eternal. If so, it could mean that they'll be tormented forever, but the dead may just be like water thrown into hot oil.

Finally a question I'm undecided on, lol.
What kind of callous unfeeling person expresses glee over the idea that someone would be faced with either eternal torment or painful annihilation? I somehow doubt that Jesus would have included a LOL when discussing that rich man in torment seeking just a drop of water from Lazarus.
I love to answer rhetorical questions. LOL is either Laugh out loud or Lots of Love.

Lets work it out. In Proverbs 1:26 we have quite clearly (translations I know)...

I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh; (King James)

and yet it is often said that Jesus loves you. Even though he is a aspect of the trinity of God who's incompetent rules and regulations placed humanity in this predicament and who laughs at the calamity, Jesus is God is Jesus who saves and yet is an aspect of the same entity that condemns the rich man to torment in hell.

The is a sickening concept as LOL works either way.
You're crazy, man.

Jesus loves the sinner, but hates the sin, remember?

This verse was about the Father, anyway. It means that if you laugh at God when you don't need him, he'll laugh at you when you do. This was written in the Old Testament, before our sins were forgiven.
The Message - Proverbs 1:25-28 wrote: "Since you laugh at my counsel
and make a joke of my advice,
How can I take you seriously?
I'll turn the tables and joke about your troubles!
What if the roof falls in,
and your whole life goes to pieces?
What if catastrophe strikes and there's nothing
to show for your life but rubble and ashes?
You'll need me then. You'll call for me,
but don't expect an answer.
No matter how hard you look, you won't find me."
That might explain God's laughter but it hardly justifies yours does it?
That is what is often so funny about the Bible-Believer as they pull out some scripture as if it covers for any lame thing they say or do.
What I was laughing at was that it took this long after being a member of this forum to finally find a topic I'm undecided on, not people getting thrown into a pit of fire.

I was defending my God, not myself. I don't see why I need to defend myself in this thread, but I did anyway, so you would quit taking my words (and abbreviations) out of context.

byofrcs

Post #13

Post by byofrcs »

chibiq wrote:.....

I was defending my God, not myself. I don't see why I need to defend myself in this thread, but I did anyway, so you would quit taking my words (and abbreviations) out of context.
Mortals do not defend Gods. Mortals defend their understanding of God. In this respect debate will not prove the existence, or not, of God but will improve the understanding of what God is, or isn't.

chibiq
Student

Post #14

Post by chibiq »

byofrcs wrote:
chibiq wrote:.....

Mortals do not defend Gods. Mortals defend their understanding of God. In this respect debate will not prove the existence, or not, of God but will improve the understanding of what God is, or isn't.
Of course you didn't understand what I meant. I'm sorry that I'm that horrible at putting my meaning into words. I'll try again...

God does not need defending. Faith does. Perhaps I should've put my faith in the place of "God" in that sentence, but I figured you would've understood what I meant. A mistake a make quite often in this forum...

Moving along, I would never laugh at a person in pain (that isn't meant to be laughed at; see stuntmen, comic violence, etc). I know what that encompasses, and I stand by it. That's all I'm going to say on the subject.

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by achilles12604 »

Is there NO ONE on this forum who considers the bible to be literal and inerrent? I know for a fact that they exist. But where are they?
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

TheHolyGhost
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by TheHolyGhost »

achilles12604 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:51 pm Question for everyone. The lake of fire referred to by the traditional Christian/ Catholic/ Fundi churches.

It is a real lake of fire.
Do you see the Sun? Is that not a lake of fire?
:shock: :shock: :shock:

TheHolyGhost
Banned
Banned

Post #17

Post by TheHolyGhost »

Hi Ho
Hi Ho
INTO THE LAKE OF FIRE
ALL YE SINNERS
WILL GO.
:D :D :D

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #18

Post by myth-one.com »

TheHolyGhost wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:54 am Hi Ho
Hi Ho
INTO THE LAKE OF FIRE
ALL YE SINNERS
WILL GO.
:D :D :D
Only those sinners whose names are not written in the Book of Life are cast into the lake of fire:

And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. (Revelation 20:15)

So all sinners are not cast into the lake of fire.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #19

Post by onewithhim »

achilles12604 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:51 pm Question for everyone. The lake of fire referred to by the traditional Christian/ Catholic/ Fundi churches.

It is figurative. Just as "throwing" or "hurling" death and Hades into the lake of fire is. This pictures a real truth but in an analogous or metaphorical way. We cannot throw death and Hades into anything, and neither is the lake of fire an actual fire. (It's as real as the "beast" that comes out of the sea at Revelation chapter 13, or the "locusts" that have hair like women and lions' teeth, etc., at Rev. chapter 6.) It is all figurative, leading to some other reality.

The "lake of fire" means total annihilation.
Last edited by onewithhim on Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #20

Post by onewithhim »

byofrcs wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:37 pm
achilles12604 wrote:Question for everyone. The lake of fire referred to by the traditional Christian/ Catholic/ Fundi churches.

I think this topic does enlighten us on examples of revisionism in Christianity.

The use of Jesus and Love of the Sinner compared to the OT God has for some in modern Christianity also taken Hell and revised that from a place in which the fire is never quenched to annihilation and absence from God (I can only refer 2nd hand to The Mystery of Salvation: The Story of God's Gift by Doctrine Commission of the General Synod of the Church of England as (like hell) I have not seen this).

On the other hand, in the Quran, though I haven't verified all the references but it has 512 entries here in which
fire and doom appear a lot.

I love, "Unbelievers will be tormented forever with fire. When their skin is burned off, a fresh skin will be provided." Sura 4:56. Some Muslims even use that description as scientific evidence in the Quran. Nice.

Still it wasn't that long ago that Christians gagged his tongue, stripped him naked and burnt Giordano Bruno at the stake. Nice.
God, Jehovah, would no more burn somebody literally forever than He would hold a child's hand on a hot stove. How horrible a sentiment is a fire that burns off someone's skin and then it is replaced? No, "tormented" has the connotation of holding someone in a jail cell where they can't carry on their life. To kill the Devil and his minions is the permanent "torment."