No more "nicknames"

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Voco
Student

No more "nicknames"

Post #1

Post by Voco »

In the past, I've seen people walking around wearing shirts saying things like "Jesus Freak" and "Yes, I'm a Fundie." At the time, I laughed inwardly. I thought to myself, "Nobody calls you that but yourselves. You guys are the majority. Besides, for an atheist, 'theist' or 'Christian' is insult enough, as it carries with it the connotation of irrationality or herd mentality. "Fundamentalist" is even worse, what with the way it is thrown around in the news connedcted to murders, bombings, and hatred. Your shirts are a lie, we have no need for such terms."

But then I come here and, while everything else about the community and the conduct of it's members has been excellent, I see such terms bandied about freely. What worse, I DON'T see any slurs agaisnt atheists.

Please, can we take the high road here? In my mind, an ideal situation would be if we used only the most respectful and professional of language while they bombarded us with slurs and insults in the course of otherwise intelligent and sound arguements. Failing that, can we at least be as respectful as they are?

I address this to no one in particular, and I mean no offense to anyone who has called other mebers "Jesus Freaks." It is only that I, persoanlly, I prefer to be on the dignified side of a debate.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: No more "nicknames"

Post #2

Post by Zzyzx »

Voco wrote:I address this to no one in particular, and I mean no offense to anyone who has called other mebers "Jesus Freaks." It is only that I, persoanlly, I prefer to be on the dignified side of a debate.
No offense taken. However, it is observed that your comments are those of a person who has been a member for four days – and may not be representative of the character of the forum.

I am totally in favor of mutual respect and civil debate.

The forum has changed in positive directions during the past few months and the ad hominem attacks have decreased.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by achilles12604 »

Zzyzx wrote:.
Voco wrote:I address this to no one in particular, and I mean no offense to anyone who has called other mebers "Jesus Freaks." It is only that I, persoanlly, I prefer to be on the dignified side of a debate.
No offense taken. However, it is observed that your comments are those of a person who has been a member for four days – and may not be representative of the character of the forum.

I am totally in favor of mutual respect and civil debate.

The forum has changed in positive directions during the past few months and the ad hominem attacks have decreased.
Very true. And indeed, we have some members who like the label of fundi so much, they have created their own usergroup to that effect.

However, as a moderator, I would certainly like to thank you for your concern regarding the civility of the forum. It reflects well about you.
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

There is a difference in tone between fundie and fundamentalist Christian.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Angel

Post #5

Post by Angel »

Voco wrote:In the past, I've seen people walking around wearing shirts saying things like "Jesus Freak" and "Yes, I'm a Fundie." At the time, I laughed inwardly. I thought to myself, "Nobody calls you that but yourselves. You guys are the majority. Besides, for an atheist, 'theist' or 'Christian' is insult enough, as it carries with it the connotation of irrationality or herd mentality. "Fundamentalist" is even worse, what with the way it is thrown around in the news connedcted to murders, bombings, and hatred. Your shirts are a lie, we have no need for such terms."

But then I come here and, while everything else about the community and the conduct of it's members has been excellent, I see such terms bandied about freely. What worse, I DON'T see any slurs agaisnt atheists.

Please, can we take the high road here? In my mind, an ideal situation would be if we used only the most respectful and professional of language while they bombarded us with slurs and insults in the course of otherwise intelligent and sound arguements. Failing that, can we at least be as respectful as they are?

I address this to no one in particular, and I mean no offense to anyone who has called other mebers "Jesus Freaks." It is only that I, persoanlly, I prefer to be on the dignified side of a debate.
On this forum perhaps no one should be calling a Christian a "fundy" but I believe that there can be fundamentalists of any belief or thought system, atheism included. All of them are not only *potentially* annoying (to be nice) but also damaging to a society and perhaps on a minor issue, to the outlook of the belief system. I also take fundementalists to mean someone who usually has unreasonably literal and radical positions in their belief-system, although it can also mean other things. I'm only speaking for the first meaning that I mentioned.