Purpose.....

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Faith_in_Fate

Purpose.....

Post #1

Post by Faith_in_Fate »

Im Greatly confused on the purpose of being on earth or of living... why do we live..? is it to serve a God... is it too die... i havent an idea this is an answer i have been looking for, for a great time... its unclear... the Bible doesnt really tell... please answer...

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #61

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Nick_A wrote:We don't stop to consider what purpose is being served but instead just accept that there is no purpose.
Are you sure about that? sure we have not considered the point and rejected it. Not becasuse we are asleep. But because we are fully alive and awake.
Nick_A wrote:We restrict our conceptions of purpose to what exists two inches in front of our nose and supports our conditioned conceptions of meaning in our daily life.
No. We - that is atheists like me - restrict out conception of purpose to what the word "purpose" can mean, what limits the meaning of our words, and then only apply the word where it is appropriate.
Nick_a wrote:What else could be expected though for life in Plato's cave?
Okay QED has gently hinted and I'm going to write it larger. The continual reference to Plato's Cave displays a conceit. I think you see - if not yourself then certainly Simone Weil as outside the cave and calling to us dozy sleepers inside. But...if you take the trouble to come and find us you will find we have been industrious and tunnelled out the other side.

Yes some of us hold opposing views. But we work very hard at them. We don't rest, let alone get time to sleep. And maybe just maybe some of us see more than Plato’s metaphor allows.

Nick_A
Sage

Post #62

Post by Nick_A »

FB
Are you sure about that? sure we have not considered the point and rejected it. Not becasuse we are asleep. But because we are fully alive and awake.

I believe you consider this true and it is for you. However Socrates explains that this view becomes highly insulted when questioned. From the Cave analogy:
[Socrates] And if there were a contest, and he had to compete in measuring the shadows with the prisoners who had never moved out of the cave, while his sight was still weak, and before his eyes had become steady (and the time which would be needed to acquire this new habit of sight might be very considerable) would he not be ridiculous? Men would say of him that up he went and down he came without his eyes; and that it was better not even to think of ascending; and if any one tried to loose another and lead him up to the light, let them only catch the offender, and they would put him to death

At least I'm still safe in that we have not learned how to shoot weapons through computer screens.
No. We - that is atheists like me - restrict out conception of purpose to what the word "purpose" can mean, what limits the meaning of our words, and then only apply the word where it is appropriate.
It is not just atheists that do this but most of humanity. We restrict our conception of purpose to our acquired pre-conceptions and do what is appropriate for these views. Wars continue and are justified through these intelligent decisions concerning what is appropriate. Nothing exceptional here.
Okay QED has gently hinted and I'm going to write it larger. The continual reference to Plato's Cave displays a conceit. I think you see - if not yourself then certainly Simone Weil as outside the cave and calling to us dozy sleepers inside. But...if you take the trouble to come and find us you will find we have been industrious and tunnelled out the other side.

Yes some of us hold opposing views. But we work very hard at them. We don't rest, let alone get time to sleep. And maybe just maybe some of us see more than Plato’s metaphor allows

Of course it appears conceited to suggest humanity as either in Plato's cave or in the Buddhist parable of the Burning House.as explained by Socrates previously. There can be very intelligent people sleeping in Plato's cave and Simone Weil describes the value of this intelligence in the cave quite well:
"The difference between more or less intelligent men is like the difference between criminals condemned to life imprisonment in smaller or larger cells. The intelligent man who is proud of his intelligence is like a condemned man who is proud of his large cell.