Would you still deny evolution if the bible said it's true

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

dangerdan
Apprentice

Would you still deny evolution if the bible said it's true

Post #1

Post by dangerdan »

An idea I’m interested in is whether a creationist’s rejection of evolution is based on objective evidence of fossils and science (assuming this exists) …or…is it more to do with the fact that the bible teaches something different to evolution?

Suppose there was a theoretical verse in the bible (that people had somehow glossed over) that seemed to say that evolution is true, and that Genesis is not to be taken literally. Now would the Christians on this board still hold that the earth is roughly 8000 years old and Adam and Eve were the first human beings, etc?…even though you would now disagree with the bible (due to this theoretical new verse)? Are your convictions in a young earth that strong that you’d even disagree with the bible?!

What I’m asking is if you’re belief in “creationism” is really based on the fact that the bible says so, and not so much on objective empirical evidence like fossils, etc.

Are you just trying to rationalize the bible? Honestly now.

Christianrocker18

Post #41

Post by Christianrocker18 »

IF the Bible were to say that evolution is true then I would believe because it came from the mouth of God to different people who wrote the Bible.

dangerdan
Apprentice

Post #42

Post by dangerdan »

An earlier post made the argument against this hypothetical because it wouldn't make any since for a Bible that says God created the heavens and the Earth to say that he did not create it.
Yes yes, but then was the response that a verse could simply say not to take Genesis literally. For example, you don’t literally take Leviticus’ moral teaching literally, do you? Or the verses that say the earth is fixed immovable and firm? Surely you only interpret these as figurative?
I like something that Descartes said about reality. He said that a cause is at least as real as it's effect. In other words, there is as least as much reality in the cause as we find in the effect. How can we come from something that is less alive than we are? Life cannot begin without life first existing, can it?
But surely you must think “life can begin without life first existing”, after all, surely you think God did not have any origin. Or is God not alive?
IF the Bible were to say that evolution is true then I would believe because it came from the mouth of God to different people who wrote the Bible.
Christianrocker, I admire your honesty.