Should Churches and other religious organizations be treated

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Should Churches and other religious organizations be treated

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

Should Churches and other religious organizations be treated financially in the same way as other non-profits?

Non profit organizations that are not religions are obliged to make financial disclosures that religious non-profits are exempt from. Why? Is that potentially an establishment of religion?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

micatala
Site Supporter

Re: Should Churches and other religious organizations be tre

Post #2

Post by micatala »

McCulloch wrote:Should Churches and other religious organizations be treated financially in the same way as other non-profits?

Non profit organizations that are not religions are obliged to make financial disclosures that religious non-profits are exempt from. Why? Is that potentially an establishment of religion?
I cannot say I am very well-versed in non-profit law, or that I have though a great deal about what the rationale might be for the laws as they exist, say in the U.S. or Canada.

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a reason why religious organizations should not be subject to the same disclosure laws as other non-profits. If this is the case in the U.S., I am wondering how some of the malfeasance that has been exposed has come to light. Was this simply 'investigative reporting' or 'inside leaks?' Was it the IRS? I do recall the Ken Ham (or someone of his creationist ilk) was convicted of tax evasion.
" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Greatest I Am
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Greatest I Am »

They tax movie houses that sell fantasy.
They should tax churches for the same reason.
An exemption can be made for their non profit activity but not the selling of fantasy.
It can be said that knowledge of God should be happily and freely given.

Regards
DL

naaraxi
Student

Post #4

Post by naaraxi »

Greatest I Am wrote:They tax movie houses that sell fantasy.
They should tax churches for the same reason.
True . But then , most major religions are not exactly against profiting from the people .

"Judas' said "we could get 300 denari for that perfume and give it to the poor" (Jn 12:5) but Jesus corrected him "The poor we will always have with us."(Jn 12:3-8) Jesus' words sound cold and cruel toward the poor. But he saw that this valuable perfume (art for the nose) was being used to build up the kingdom of God." [link]

A religious leader will do anything to promote his particular religion , thereby adding more to his wealth . Call me cynical but that's human nature :| .

By the way ... I do think churches and other religious organizations should be treated as nothing more then corporations . They have similar hierarchy , after all , and they do sell illusions . Like McDonald's . They give food and take cash . And should pay taxes .

[edit: most , spell checking]
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by McCulloch »

My view is that religions should be treated the same as other non-profit organizations. They should be audited and have full disclosure to ensure that there is no profits being made, income paid to its agents, representatives and employees would be subject to income tax. They should not be exempt from any municipal, federal or state|provincial taxes that other non-profits are not exempt from.

I see them operating more along the lines of art galleries, museums or meals-on-wheels than McDonald's or Wal-Mart.

The government should not be in the business of distinguishing between a religious non-profit organization and a non-religious non-profit organization.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John