Hinduism or Buddhism?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Negachrist
Student

Hinduism or Buddhism?

Post #1

Post by Negachrist »

I'm thinking about adopting a religion, just to try it out and see what it's like.

At the moment I've narrowed it down to two choices, Hinduism or Buddhism, but I can't decide.

Which one of those two should I choose, and why?

zepper899
Apprentice

Post #11

Post by zepper899 »

Antagonist wrote:
CONVERTED TO ISLAM wrote:Islam is the true religion
no god but allah and mohammed is the messenger
just embrace this religion then allah will forgive you for every thing
Thats off topic I'm afraid. the question is Buddhism or Hinduism... And As a n atheist Buddhism is a lot more liable to be true also it appeals to me.

Islam only provocates hate against the west. It's obsessed with converting people and kill non Muslims. It truly is the most agressive religion. also the most out of date religion because you ppl still see women as inferior to men.

now i think of it, Christianity says the same thing but modern christians just ignore it... so atleast muslims are more commited to their holy book.
i'm finishing up a year of religious philosophy.
my grand conclusion, the product of hours of studying and lectures as well as thousands of dollars....
every religion is the exact same. its depressing. if you become very familiar with religious texts you find that they all end in teh same place: everything.
this is true in more modern stuff as well. even strict philosophy is the same: plato's theory of forms is the same as an understanding of brahman and a state of buddhist moksa. even christian philosophy shares the same principles.
its very depressing though isn't is. so many lives have been lost in the attempted realization of 'the unity of existence' (add your own radio voice emphasis)

zepper899
Apprentice

Post #12

Post by zepper899 »

and you can easily add to that taoism, confusianism, a mystical analysis of shamanistic religions, etc

Antagonist
Student

Post #13

Post by Antagonist »

zepper899 wrote:
Antagonist wrote:
Thats off topic I'm afraid. the question is Buddhism or Hinduism... And As a n atheist Buddhism is a lot more liable to be true also it appeals to me.

Islam only provocates hate against the west. It's obsessed with converting people and kill non Muslims. It truly is the most agressive religion. also the most out of date religion because you ppl still see women as inferior to men.

now i think of it, Christianity says the same thing but modern christians just ignore it... so atleast muslims are more commited to their holy book.
i'm finishing up a year of religious philosophy.
my grand conclusion, the product of hours of studying and lectures as well as thousands of dollars....
every religion is the exact same. its depressing. if you become very familiar with religious texts you find that they all end in teh same place: everything.
this is true in more modern stuff as well. even strict philosophy is the same: plato's theory of forms is the same as an understanding of brahman and a state of buddhist moksa. even christian philosophy shares the same principles.
its very depressing though isn't is. so many lives have been lost in the attempted realization of 'the unity of existence' (add your own radio voice emphasis)
Yeah youre right. so many people argue about how we should live, they try to convert other people to religion and so on. while it's just all the same. most religions have the same things like heaven/hell, commandments (which are all the same) etc.

when everybody would come to this conlclusion the world would be a lot easier and better place.

shubhamgarg1993
Student

re::

Post #14

Post by shubhamgarg1993 »

my dear friend,

adopting a religion is like giving yourself to the lap of religion ,

you are joining a religion on your conditions ,you would probably leave what you cant do and most times the things you feel are difficult are those which are necessary..

its better you leave the idea to join a religion then to join it at your conditions..

EduChris
Prodigy

Re: Hinduism or Buddhism?

Post #15

Post by EduChris »

Negachrist wrote:I'm thinking about adopting a religion, just to try it out and see what it's like.

At the moment I've narrowed it down to two choices, Hinduism or Buddhism, but I can't decide.

Of the two, I'd take Buddhism because I find the caste system of Hinduism indefensible. I do like some of the stories in the Hindu sacred writings, but you can read them no matter which religion you commit to.

sickles
Sage

Post #16

Post by sickles »

zepper899 wrote:and you can easily add to that taoism, confusianism, a mystical analysis of shamanistic religions, etc
Actually, Animism "shamanistic religions" , are quite different from every other religion. There are no texts, rofl. If the only choices are buddhism and hinduism, i would say it depends on how serious you want to take spirituality. If you are serious, try buddhism. It requires much self-discpline. Hinduism is also good, though i do not like many aspects of it.

Seriously tho, im sure you havent considered Animism. The wikipedia article is rather shallow, but if you are interested in learning more, PM me, or just post here ;p
"Behold! A Man!" ~ Diogenes, my Hero.

Wood-Man
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by Wood-Man »

If you adopt Hinduism, you'll have to start at the beginning so that means you'll come back as a bacteria or maybe a mosquito. Better to go with Buddhism, which says you don't really exist, anyway. Much better to not exist than to be a mosquito.

Gunnarr

Re: Hinduism or Buddhism?

Post #18

Post by Gunnarr »

Negachrist wrote:I'm thinking about adopting a religion, just to try it out and see what it's like.

First you have to identify who you are culturally and ethnically, these will be the cornerstones to your research into a religion, If either is weak, then your beliefs will be on poor foundations, and eventually undo.

Discovering who you are is the first step.

Burninglight
Guru

Post #19

Post by Burninglight »

What Scriptural backing do you have for that? What makes you so sure you're not being deceived? Jesus Christ is the only name given whereby we might be saved and no one can come to Christ unless the father draws him. There is no evidence to show me that Muhammad is God's prophet. All you have is the Quran with nothing to support or confirm it. In fact, there was never a divine mandate given that it should have been written. Quran means recitation not write. How does one get write out of say?

Besides, Uthman burned the original Qurans. He edited and recompiled it from Hafsa's copy, and after her death, Marwa destroyed her original; moreover, those that memorized the Quran were put to death; so all there is evidence of Allah's word is what Uthman compiled after Muhammad's death, but Uthman was never considered a prophet.

Uthman was Allah's editor? :-k :-k :-k

The Bible is more reliable because none of the copies were ever destroyed. Unlike Muslims can do with the Quran, Christians can find where the interpolations and abrogations are in the Bible. There are also some mistranslations, but we know what they are. Do you know where the original Quran might be found? Finally, the Quran was suppose to confirm the Scriptures that came before not usurp them.

rreppy
Student

Post #20

Post by rreppy »

The moment anyone asserts that their religion is the "One and Only True Religion", they have already demonstrated that they are WAY off the path to enlightenment and really, really wrong. You need to rethink your path and find teachers with more wisdom than the ones you've been listening to. And by that, I mean your actual, living teachers and guides, who have been interpreting your religion for you. I will pray that you find your own way better.