when is there a right to kill?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

jesse
Student

when is there a right to kill?

Post #1

Post by jesse »

who and when do people have the right to take another's life? Is there such thing as a partial or justified reason to murder?

If no, does that apply to capital punishment?

Vanguard
Guru

Re: when is there a right to kill?

Post #2

Post by Vanguard »

jesse wrote:who and when do people have the right to take another's life? Is there such thing as a partial or justified reason to murder?

If no, does that apply to capital punishment?
Aside from what the law may say, the question should be is there ever a situation where taking another's life is justified? Who should determine this?

WafflesFTW
Student

Post #3

Post by WafflesFTW »

Believe it or not, rights are man made things and are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Man kills chickens, insects, bacteria, etc. What's the difference about killing another man? Nothing, other than the fact that humans are so ego-centric as to promote themselves above every other assemblage of molecules in the universe. That being said, the right to kill is based off of societal views. Japanese would commit suicide rather than face capture after battles in WWII and prior. Americans kill for "honor and peace" by invading other countries. Society dictates this is "right" as well. Questioning this is valid, but provides no fruit; rights are fickle and change with the poplace. 100 years ago the idea of women voting was preposterous.

Simon_Peter
Student

Post #4

Post by Simon_Peter »

There is never a right to kill.

There are times when you feel someone has done something worthy of killing them. However, if you do. you will not be blameless. you will lower your moral high ground. And someone will judge it. And feel your worthy of being killed.

Regards
Simon

WafflesFTW
Student

Post #5

Post by WafflesFTW »

There is never a right to kill.

There are times when you feel someone has done something worthy of killing them. However, if you do. you will not be blameless. you will lower your moral high ground. And someone will judge it. And feel your worthy of being killed.

Regards
Simon
There is never a right to kill? Then why do you kill chickens when you eat meat, and why do you kill vegetables when you eat those as well?

Simon_Peter
Student

Post #6

Post by Simon_Peter »

Never a right to kill humans, obviously we are still apart of an ecosystem, therefore, its natural to kill for food.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Goat »

Simon_Peter wrote:Never a right to kill humans, obviously we are still apart of an ecosystem, therefore, its natural to kill for food.
Yum Yum. Long Pork.

(One of these decades, I will have to keep my sense of humor under control)
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Fallibleone
Guru

Post #8

Post by Fallibleone »

Please don't. :lol:
''''What I am is good enough if I can only be it openly.''''

''''The man said "why you think you here?" I said "I got no idea".''''

''''Je viens comme un chat
Par la nuit si noire.
Tu attends, et je tombe
Dans tes ailes blanches,
Et je vole,
Et je coule
Comme une plume.''''

Azerate218

Post #9

Post by Azerate218 »

It's up for each person to decide for themselves when it is right to kill. There is no way to universally decide when it is right to kill. In my eyes, if someone has wronged you, then murder is justified.

Fallibleone
Guru

Post #10

Post by Fallibleone »

Dear Azerate218,

Does that mean if I cut you up in traffic you can murder me?? :shock:

Signed, 'Worried of Merseyside'.
''''What I am is good enough if I can only be it openly.''''

''''The man said "why you think you here?" I said "I got no idea".''''

''''Je viens comme un chat
Par la nuit si noire.
Tu attends, et je tombe