Role reversals

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

TQWcS
Scholar

Role reversals

Post #1

Post by TQWcS »

Just for a little fun lets have the Deists argue for Atheism and the Atheists argue for Deism. The agnostics can pick and choose what side they want to be on :lol:.

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by ST88 »

That sounds like a lot of fun. Group therapy often involves role reversals, and part of forensics exercises involve arguing for something you don't believe in. Do you have a structure for this in mind?

TQWcS
Scholar

Post #3

Post by TQWcS »

st88 wrote:Do you have a structure for this in mind?
Not particularly, if you have any suggestions feel free to go with them.

Todd
Student

Post #4

Post by Todd »

This'll be interesting.
I don't know if many people know this but I used to be an atheist, so I guess I'll be acting how I thought about 4 months ago.

Nameless

uh huh

Post #5

Post by Nameless »

So, I would have to leave my mind and intelligence at the door, pick up my crayons, and try to get other people to do the same in order for them to assume a 'belief' like 'mine' (I guess if someone else believes it that makes it somehow more valid?)?? And the point is? Ok, oh, yeah, uhh, "Jeeezus loves you"... Howz that? *__-

TQWcS
Scholar

Post #6

Post by TQWcS »

So, I would have to leave my mind and intelligence at the door, pick up my crayons, and try to get other people to do the same in order for them to assume a 'belief' like 'mine' (I guess if someone else believes it that makes it somehow more valid?)?? And the point is? Ok, oh, yeah, uhh, "Jeeezus loves you"... Howz that? *__-
If you would like to simplify your arguement to that then that is fine. Although, I think you are giving the other side less credit than they deserve.

Piper Plexed
Site Supporter

Re: uh huh

Post #7

Post by Piper Plexed »

Nameless wrote:So, I would have to leave my mind and intelligence at the door, pick up my crayons, and try to get other people to do the same in order for them to assume a 'belief' like 'mine' (I guess if someone else believes it that makes it somehow more valid?)?? And the point is? Ok, oh, yeah, uhh, "Jeeezus loves you"... Howz that? *__-
This statement is a violation of the following rule
7. Do not post frivolous, flame bait, or inflammatory messages.
Honestly Nameless, you have been around quite long enough to be well aware of the forum RULES though you may want to refresh yourself.
*"I think, therefore I am" (Cogito, ergo sum)-Descartes
** I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that ...

Nameless

Post #8

Post by Nameless »

I forgot, such delicate souls. Please forgive the sarcasm. 8(
Was anyone else offended? I forgot that sarcasm is not allowed.
Perhaps a day in the stocks?
Shucks! Darn! I seem to be possessed of a 'sarcastic' spirit tonight!
Perhaps an exorcism?
(Hope I didn't offend any 'evil spirits' out there!)
Please pray for me!!
Must make 'sarcastic' spirit-leave-fat-body!!
Nomine Patrii, et Filii, Et Domine Abomini.......
AAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Nameless on Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nameless

Post #9

Post by Nameless »

Piper Plexed wrote:7. Do not post frivolous, flame bait, or inflammatory messages.
So, a post that might incite a 'passionate' response would be considered 'inflamatory?

I'm sorry, y'all are just too delicate for me. Don't bother trying to put me in your 'stocks' (christians!), they'd never hold me!
I'm going back to playing with the grown-ups.

The Bird with Iron Feathers...
has LEFT the building

Bye, bye birdies....

*__-

otseng
Savant

Post #10

Post by otseng »

Nameless wrote:
So, a post that might incite a 'passionate' response would be considered 'inflamatory?

A passionate response is not bad. But to insinuate that Christians would have to "leave my mind and intelligence at the door" is not considered respectful, esp on this forum where reasoning is valued.

Additionally, your responses is not respectful of what TQWcS has proposed. He has made a proposal for an intelligent debate with the roles reversed. And the purpose of it is not to make light of any particular side. Actually, I have been impressed with the discussion that has taken place between TQWcS and ST88 on Role reversal: creation in the classroom. They have demonstrated that they know the case presented by the other side and have been very civil in their discussions. I have even picked up a thing or two from following it.

A comment on humor. Humor is an important part in keeping the atmosphere civil around here. Debating can get quite tense, esp with all the volatile topics that we have here. But, humor should not be used at the expense of others. Putting anybody down is not a good use of humor. Ridiculing any group is also not acceptable.

Finally, when a moderator makes a moderating decision, it is against the rules to argue back publicly. However, you are allowed to argue back all you want via PM.