A silly question

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

OnceConvinced
Savant

A silly question

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

I see the group "Former Athiest" and I can't help but think to myself that all people are born athiests. But then I thought maybe not because an athiest is someone who does not believe in God. Not necessarily someone who has never heard of God.

So what do you class someone as who has never heard of a concept called God. ie. a young child or someone who lives somewhere where the topic of God is non-existant (if there is such a place)

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Fallibleone
Guru

Post #2

Post by Fallibleone »

I actually think that the word 'atheist' describes this quite well. If one takes the definition of one who is without God, or does not believe in God or gods, it's spot on for a person who has never heard of the concept of God.
''''What I am is good enough if I can only be it openly.''''

''''The man said "why you think you here?" I said "I got no idea".''''

''''Je viens comme un chat
Par la nuit si noire.
Tu attends, et je tombe
Dans tes ailes blanches,
Et je vole,
Et je coule
Comme une plume.''''

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #3

Post by OnceConvinced »

I notice a lot of Christians who class themselves as "former atheists" wear it as a badge of honor as if they have overcome a great handicap to get where they were. As if somehow their conversion was more miraculous than the average Christian's.

However if the term "atheist" fits in the scenario I have described, then the term "former atheist" means nothing as we have all been one - whether we remained one of not. It would be like saying "I was a former child" or "I was a former virgin"

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: A silly question

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

OnceConvinced wrote:I see the group "Former Athiest" and I can't help but think to myself that all people are born athiests. But then I thought maybe not because an athiest is someone who does not believe in God. Not necessarily someone who has never heard of God.

So what do you class someone as who has never heard of a concept called God. ie. a young child or someone who lives somewhere where the topic of God is non-existant (if there is such a place)
Atheism implies a denial of the existence of God. We are born neither believing or disbelieving in God. We are all former agnostics.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #5

Post by OnceConvinced »

I don't think you can call them agnostic though. Because that implies that the person has heard of the God concept but finds that the evidence presented is unconvincing.

C-Nub
Scholar

Post #6

Post by C-Nub »

The word that best fits here is 'ignorant'.

There is no religious lable to be put on such a person because they aren't religious, they're removed from the concept.

With that said, as they age, depending on how isolated this person is, they may or may not develop spirituality of some sort, there's a great number of ways for something like this to occure.

Lets say that this person lives on a deserted Island, and out of boredom one day, trace a pattern in the sand by the edge of the sea. Let's say that, coincidentally of course, it starts to rain just as they finish the pattern. This sort of thing could, if it happens another time down the road, lead one to develop a crude spirituality or sense of communication with a higher power.

But up until that point, they aren't atheistic or agnostic or anything else, they're ignorant of the concept. The word has a negative connotation that we have to ignore here, but I can't think of one that better describes the supposed religious P.O.V. of just such a person.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #7

Post by OnceConvinced »

I guess. But ignorant could be a bit of a subjective term. Also if there is no God, then does that mean they are ignorant of him?

C-Nub
Scholar

Post #8

Post by C-Nub »

Ignorant of the creator concept, the potential existance (or non-existance) of God is irrelevent to the point.

catalyst
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by catalyst »

OnceConvinced wrote:I see the group "Former Athiest" and I can't help but think to myself that all people are born athiests. But then I thought maybe not because an athiest is someone who does not believe in God. Not necessarily someone who has never heard of God.

I personally call those not having heard the concept of "god", the UNTOUCHED rather than atheist as you have to know of the concept of "God" or god/gods" to be considered a theist in the first place.
Fortunately, there are still many UNTOUCHED areas of the world doing just fine and dandy and as such, I will not post the names of these places. They are just doing their 'own thing" anyway and loving, living and learning of self as of eachother, and really, they just don't require a "god" concept within their lives to ...JUST GET ALONG, beautifully amongst themselves.

If anything, places like that should be mirrored "out here", rather than visa versa.

realthinker
Sage

Post #10

Post by realthinker »

catalyst wrote:

I personally call those not having heard the concept of "god", the UNTOUCHED rather than atheist as you have to know of the concept of "God" or god/gods" to be considered a theist in the first place.
Fortunately, there are still many UNTOUCHED areas of the world doing just fine and dandy and as such, I will not post the names of these places. They are just doing their 'own thing" anyway and loving, living and learning of self as of eachother, and really, they just don't require a "god" concept within their lives to ...JUST GET ALONG, beautifully amongst themselves.

If anything, places like that should be mirrored "out here", rather than visa versa.
First of all "touched" is a bit euphemistic. Ignorant is, in my opinion, far more appropriate, of the terms offered. I think "godless" would be perhaps more appropriate still.

Secondly, since you've declared that you won't list those places, I'd then like to know your basis for the the idea that there are places that have no concept of God. To be isolated enough to not be influenced by the concept of God it would have to be a community, smaller still than what we'd generally term a society. The documentaries I've seen or articles I've read about such isolated communities have left me with the impression that spiritualism on the order of religion is present in pretty much every one of them. Given no further facts I'd dismiss your claim that there are societies with no God concept. I've no particular facts on which to base that dismissal, but I think that's in line with your baseless claim.
If all the ignorance in the world passed a second ago, what would you say? Who would you obey?