Human sacrifice

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

catholic crusader
Apprentice

Human sacrifice

Post #1

Post by catholic crusader »

Would you accept a human sacrifice done on your behalf?

Or would you reject the human sacrifice on moral grounds and face the repercussions of your actions yourself?

Beto

Re: Human sacrifice

Post #2

Post by Beto »

catholic crusader wrote:Would you accept a human sacrifice done on your behalf?
I can't really see the benefit.
catholic crusader wrote:Or would you reject the human sacrifice on moral grounds and face the repercussions of your actions yourself?
What's the connection between the consequences of my actions and a human sacrifice done on my behalf?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by McCulloch »

Would you call a judge just who would accept a substitutionary human sacrifice to redeem an offender?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

OnceConvinced
Savant

Re: Human sacrifice

Post #4

Post by OnceConvinced »

catholic crusader wrote:Would you accept a human sacrifice done on your behalf?
I'd be disgusted if anyone attempted to sacrifice another human being for my sins. I'd be even more disgusted if a family member of the victim was the one who offered up that sacrifice.
catholic crusader wrote: Or would you reject the human sacrifice on moral grounds and face the repercussions of your actions yourself?
If I've knowingly done evil, then I should face the consequences. It's wrong to pass the buck on to someone else, even if they offer to be sacrificed on my behalf. I mean what sort of person would let someone die a horrible death so they can get away with their wrongdoings?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #5

Post by OnceConvinced »

McCulloch wrote:Would you call a judge just who would accept a substitutionary human sacrifice to redeem an offender?
No. I would question the judge's integrity. I'd especially consider him warped if he offered up one of his own family as that sacrifice. I'd question his sanity if he offered himself up as that sacrifice, especially if it is to protect the criminal on trial from his own sentence.

"I'm going to give this guy the death sentence. But mmmmmm, I'm sure someone else can be sacrificed so that he doesn't have to suffer the death sentence himself. Hey, I know! I myself will be sacrificed in his place, then I will no longer have to give this man the death sentence."

:blink:

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Beto

Post #6

Post by Beto »

I don't see anyone other than a religious person eventually accepting a human sacrifice, if the "benefit" isn't worldly. Sure, there are a few nasty people out there that might accept one even if the reward is apparently meaningless to others, but that relates only to one's perspective on the value of human life, and there's always something to gain, even if just some sadistic satisfaction. Accepting a human sacrifice for whatever reason concerned only with the afterlife is religion country, and something utterly devoid of practicality, thus an irrelevant notion to the non-theist. The question might have had the religious context in mind, but it wasn't explicit.

catholic crusader
Apprentice

Post #7

McCulloch wrote:Would you call a judge just who would accept a substitutionary human sacrifice to redeem an offender?
Nope

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by McCulloch »

catholic crusader wrote:Nope
Would you care to expand just a little on this answer? I believe that it is an accepted Catholic teaching that God will be the Judge of all humanity. I also believe that it is an accepted Catholic teaching that God accepts the sacrifice of the human Jesus as a substitutionary sacrifice to redeem sinners. I have also been led to believe that they teach that God is just. So, what is it? Is God unjust? Or is God not to be the Judge? Or maybe God will not accept the willing human sacrifice of Jesus to redeem sinners? You cannot have all three without doing serious violence to logic.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

catholic crusader
Apprentice

Post #9

If you think i'm catholic I just proved that you make false conclusion based on questionable evidence.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #10

Post by OnceConvinced »

catholic crusader wrote:If you think i'm catholic I just proved that you make false conclusion based on questionable evidence.
Well if you are not catholic then you are deliberately misleading everyone calling yourself "Catholic Crusader". Such a name would bring people to the conclusion you are catholic. Are you attempting to mislead people?