Unsure
No votes

Total votes: 25

OnceConvinced
Savant

How did Jesus take our punishment?

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

Standard Christian doctrine is that Jesus paid the price for our sins. That he took the punishment that rightfully belonged to us on himself. This was his ultimate act of love for mankind. As a Christian I believed that completely and never even considered thinking about it critically.

But did Jesus really take our punishment?

The wages of sin is death. Sure, Jesus died, but then was resurrected three days later to live for eternity in Heaven at the right hand side of God. That is not what will happen to the sinner who doesn't repent. The sinner who doesn't repent will perish in hell. Jesus didn't perish in hell. The sinner will not be resurrected after they have perished. No eternal life. So how in that scenario is Jesus taking our punishment?

If you believe that sinners will go to hell and suffer for eternity you have an even bigger problem with the doctrine of Christ "paying the price". Is Jesus suffering in hell for all eternity right now? No he isn't. So how can anyone claim he has taken the punishment for us?

It seems to me that at the very most, Jesus only got a taste of that punishment.

So has Jesus really taken our punishment for us? If yes, how can we claim that to be the case?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: How did Jesus take our punishment?

Post #2

Post by Goat »

OnceConvinced wrote:Standard Christian doctrine is that Jesus paid the price for our sins. That he took the punishment that rightfully belonged to us on himself. This was his ultimate act of love for mankind. As a Christian I believed that completely and never even considered thinking about it critically.

The wages of sin is death. Sure, Jesus died, but then was resurrected three days later to live for eternity in Heaven at the right hand side of God. That is not what will happen to the sinner who doesn't repent. The sinner who doesn't repent will perish in hell. Jesus didn't perish in hell. The sinner will not be resurrected after they have perished. No eternal life. So how in that scenario is Jesus taking our punishment?

If you believe that sinners will go to hell and suffer for eternity you have an even bigger problem with the doctrine of Christ "paying the price". Is Jesus suffering in hell for all eternity right now? No he isn't. So how can anyone claim he has taken the punishment for us?

It seems to me that at the very most, Jesus only got a taste of that punishment.

So has Jesus really taken our punishment for us? If yes, how can we claim that to be the case?
The idea that someone else can preform a sacrifice or be sacrificed on others behalf goes against what sacrifice and repentance was about in Judaism. It's very Roman/Greek, but not very Jewish at all.

Repentance is the big thing. That means saying your sorry, and more importantly, changing your behavior as not to do that same error again.

The sacrifice was giving up something of value to you personally. While there was the sacrifice of animals in the Temple, there was also sacrifice of cereal, and of prayer. The most important part of the process was being sorry, and changing your behavior.

So, from the Jewish point of view, no, Jesus can not have taken our punishment for us. That is one of the reasons Jews do not accept Jesus.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Easyrider

Post #3

Post by Easyrider »

goat wrote:
The idea that someone else can preform a sacrifice or be sacrificed on others behalf goes against what sacrifice and repentance was about in Judaism. It's very Roman/Greek, but not very Jewish at all.
Nonsense. You have no problem at all trying to tell everyone the suffering servant for sins in Isaiah 53 is Israel (though most of the ancient rabbis say it's the Messiah).

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #4

Post by OnceConvinced »

Easyrider wrote:
goat wrote:
Nonsense. You have no problem at all trying to tell everyone the suffering servant for sins in Isaiah 53 is Israel (though most of the ancient rabbis say it's the Messiah).
I noticed someone voted yes on the poll. Was that you? If so, perhaps you'd like to explain why you believe Jesus took our punishment when clearly he didn't?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Goat »

Easyrider wrote:
goat wrote:
Well, just because you misrepresent what the "ancient rabbi's say' , or rather accept the lies some evangelistic web sites have, doesn't mean you are right.

Even Justin Martyr , in his writing up of his discussion with "Trypho the Jew" will admit the Jewish interpretation was that it was Israel.

You keep on losing that argument, cutting and pasting from discredited web sites, yet, you still keep up the denial of facts.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

twobitsmedia

Post #6

Post by twobitsmedia »

OnceConvinced wrote:Standard Christian doctrine is that Jesus paid the price for our sins. That he took the punishment that rightfully belonged to us on himself. This was his ultimate act of love for mankind. As a Christian I believed that completely and never even considered thinking about it critically.

I am not sure what "doctrine" you are referring to. Jesus shed blood to redeem man. He did not take anyones punishment.

PS. Sorry, I messed up your poll by mistake, and this one I cannot edit. I voted yes, but should have voted no.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #7

Post by OnceConvinced »

twobitsmedia wrote:

I am not sure what "doctrine" you are referring to. Jesus shed blood to redeem man. He did not take anyones punishment.

PS. Sorry, I messed up your poll by mistake, and this one I cannot edit. I voted yes, but should have voted no.
Damn, here was me thinking that finally someone was going to back up their "yes" vote. :lol:

I have no problem with it if you look at it from that point of view. Redeeming rather than taking punishment. I think that lines up better with the idea of blood sacrifices and is more supported by scripture.

However many Christians seem to see it as more than that, ie, Jesus taking the punishment which we rightfully deserved. Jesus dying in our place. In fact that seems like a common belief amongst Christians.

Truth_Teller
Apprentice

Post #8

Post by Truth_Teller »

No, he didn´t. Every human-being who has lived on this planet will have to be the answerable for his deeds. If he/she committed sins then he/she will rightfully deserve a place in hell. Otherwise paradise is always an alternative by doing good deeds in this life itself.

That was my view, however. I hope no argument will be led out of it.
O People! See the difference between Mullah-ism and Islam. They both are two opposite things.

Flail

Jesus

Post #9

Post by Flail »

Jesus did not sacrifice himself for our sin...this is a concocted notion of the OT and Paul...not of Jesus....if Jesus was a God and knew that He was a God then what is the sacrifice?....God's feel no pain...God's know there is no risk....I know of alot of brave men who died for better causes as humans and not as Gods.

The Jesus story is symbolic fiction. The messages of Jesus and the parables are what is important as guides to living life without religion and which are generally ignored by Christianity.

Flail

Goodness

Post #10

Post by Flail »

Most Christianity teaches how to become a good religionist rather than a good citizen.