theory of evolution, a big mistake.

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

umair
Apprentice

theory of evolution, a big mistake.

Post #1

Post by umair »

i have been having a few questions in my mind which i would like to put up, regarding the theory of evolution.

as according to the theory, evolution takes place wherever it is needed or required, then what i was thinking was that what was the need for life to originate at all, in this virtually dead universe, and henceforth what was the need for such complicated life forms to evolve.

and the second thing which i wanted to discuss was , that as we know, we as humans have the tendency to use only a little percentage of our brain, then why has our brain evolved to into such a complicated mass,when the need possibly never existed?

these are amongst the questions which defy the theory.
a religion should not be obsereved from its followers ,but from its scriptures and established facts.
because followers can be misleading.

wa aakhirud dawaana anilhamdulillahi rabbilaalameen

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #2

Post by OnceConvinced »

Having been a Christian most of my life and having been indoctronated into creationism and being taught that evolution was a lie of the devil, I'm still not very clued up on it and still lack a lot of understanding on it. But I thought I'd like to have a go at answering these questions.
as according to the theory, evolution takes place wherever it is needed or required, then what i was thinking was that what was the need for life to originate at all, in this virtually dead universe, and henceforth what was the need for such complicated life forms to evolve.
I don't think evolution always takes place when needed. I mean if we started out in the sea, was there really any need to move out onto land? It would seem to me that sometimes things just happen. After all there is supposedly no intelligence behind evolution. A lot of it would just be arbitrary. It would also seem to make sense that things become more complicated if they are growing. Even as humans and animals grow they develop new features. It seems like a natural progression.

One quote made by an evolutionist once, stuck in my mind: "Life very well could be the rule, rather than the exception"
and the second thing which i wanted to discuss was , that as we know, we as humans have the tendency to use only a little percentage of our brain, then why has our brain evolved to into such a complicated mass,when the need possibly never existed?
The thing is evolution is not intelligent design and it does not result in pefection. Therefore there will be redundency and inefficiency. On the other hand, if God created the body you would expect all parts of the brain to be used. You'd also expect that sperms would be better swimmers, the body would store vitamens, while providing less storage for fat, and that things like the appendix would have some obvious function.

This question about the brain could also be used to defy creationism. Why would God create a complicated mass when he only ever intended a small portion to be used?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: theory of evolution, a big mistake.

Post #3

Post by Goat »

umair wrote:i have been having a few questions in my mind which i would like to put up, regarding the theory of evolution.

Where did you get that idea?? I am assuming you are talking about 'biological evolution'. If so, your statement has nothing to do with the Theory of evolution
at all.

these are amongst the questions which defy the theory.
The idea that humans use a small percentage of our brain is an urban legend, psuedoscience, and false.

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent.asp
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

This might be somewhat helpful. The famous Snopes site which debunks urban legends shoots down the The Ten-Percent Myth.

Also found at the Skeptical Inquirer site.
It is past time to put this myth to rest, although if it has survived at least a century so far, it will surely live on into the new millennium. Perhaps the best way to combat this chestnut is to reply to the speaker, when the myth is mentioned, "Oh? What part don't you use?"
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

umair
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by umair »

McCulloch wrote:This might be somewhat helpful. The famous Snopes site which debunks urban legends shoots down the The Ten-Percent Myth.

It is past time to put this myth to rest, although if it has survived at least a century so far, it will surely live on into the new millennium. Perhaps the best way to combat this chestnut is to reply to the speaker, when the myth is mentioned, "Oh? What part don't you use?"

well, the question is not about the part but the percentage?

if we are using hundered percentage of our brain, then from where did einstien got that extra brain?
a religion should not be obsereved from its followers ,but from its scriptures and established facts.

umair
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by umair »

I don't think evolution always takes place when needed. I mean if we started out in the sea, was there really any need to move out onto land? It would seem to me that sometimes things just happen. After all there is supposedly no intelligence behind evolution. A lot of it would just be arbitrary. It would also seem to make sense that things become more complicated if they are growing. Even as humans and animals grow they develop new features. It seems like a natural progression.

One quote made by an evolutionist once, stuck in my mind: "Life very well could be the rule, rather than the exception"
well , darwin never thought like that!
and by the way, how can you say that we came out of the sea, and if so, then why did the whales(as proposed) did the opposite.

there is nothing such as natural progression, and if ,then it is all planned
The thing is evolution is not intelligent design and it does not result in pefection. Therefore there will be redundency and inefficiency. On the other hand, if God created the body you would expect all parts of the brain to be used. You'd also expect that sperms would be better swimmers, the body would store vitamens, while providing less storage for fat, and that things like the appendix would have some obvious function.

This question about the brain could also be used to defy creationism. Why would God create a complicated mass when he only ever intended a small portion to be used?

well in the perspective of god your question apperas invalid, because god knows that we will through time keep on increasing the percentage we use, so, you have it.
ie: for him it is all planned.

and yes appendix might not be useful for your body , but does become useful in giving you pain(when it catches infection),
so as islam teches that everything on earth is either meant for the benefit of human or their harm, or at least to show them the might of allah(swt),
but atlast everything is related to humans, because they are the only species intellegent enough to recognise .

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by McCulloch »

umair wrote:well, the question is not about the part but the percentage?

if we are using hundred percentage of our brain, then from where did Einstein got that extra brain?
As far as I know, Einstein was allotted one brain, just like the rest of us. Evolution predicts that there will be within a population, variations. Some quicker, some stronger, some smarter.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Goat »

umair wrote:
McCulloch wrote:This might be somewhat helpful. The famous Snopes site which debunks urban legends shoots down the The Ten-Percent Myth.

well, the question is not about the part but the percentage?

if we are using hundered percentage of our brain, then from where did einstien got that extra brain?
There actually isn't very much difference between Einsteins' brain and the average brain.However, his Parietal Region was 15% bigger than average, and there were more gila cells in his parietal region than average.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #9

Post by OnceConvinced »

umair wrote:

So? Did Darwin have all the answers? Was his studies on evolution the be all and end all?
Why would you come to the conclusion it is planned? :blink:
well in the perspective of god your question apperas invalid, because god knows that we will through time keep on increasing the percentage we use, so, you have it.
Then why are humans in general NOT increasing the percentage they use? And what's the extra for? What is going to be so special about us in the future that will require that extra brain? Why doesn't Allah just add the extra percentage in future generations when it's going to be needed?
and yes appendix might not be useful for your body , but does become useful in giving you pain(when it catches infection),
What??? :blink: So the appendix is there to give us pain so that we know that the appendix is infected? What sort of logic is that? Why not just not have an appendix so there will be no appendix infection to begin with. That's like saying the heart is only there to give us heart attacks.

Anyway evolutionist have come up with a great theory that the appendix was once used to help in the digestion of cellulose. If so then that is more evidence of evolution.
so as islam teches that everything on earth is either meant for the benefit of human or their harm, or at least to show them the might of allah(swt),
Ah, a great way to justify pain and suffering. What sort of a God deliberately inflicts pain on his creations? So what you claim is that the appendix is just there to cause man suffering. What an sadistic God you worship. You think that makes him worthy of your worship and that others should also worship such a monster?
but atlast everything is related to humans, because they are the only species intellegent enough to recognise .
But animals also suffer the same things. Why would Allah be so cruel as to put suffering on animals who don't have the intelligence to recognise it?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

umair
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by umair »

OnceConvinced wrote:
umair wrote:

So? Did Darwin have all the answers? Was his studies on evolution the be all and end all?
Why would you come to the conclusion it is planned? :blink:
Then why are humans in general NOT increasing the percentage they use? And what's the extra for? What is going to be so special about us in the future that will require that extra brain? Why doesn't Allah just add the extra percentage in future generations when it's going to be needed?
What??? :blink: So the appendix is there to give us pain so that we know that the appendix is infected? What sort of logic is that? Why not just not have an appendix so there will be no appendix infection to begin with. That's like saying the heart is only there to give us heart attacks.

Anyway evolutionist have come up with a great theory that the appendix was once used to help in the digestion of cellulose. If so then that is more evidence of evolution.
Ah, a great way to justify pain and suffering. What sort of a God deliberately inflicts pain on his creations? So what you claim is that the appendix is just there to cause man suffering. What an sadistic God you worship. You think that makes him worthy of your worship and that others should also worship such a monster?
But animals also suffer the same things. Why would Allah be so cruel as to put suffering on animals who don't have the intelligence to recognise it?

if in your context god will not give pain , then whom do you expect to do that job.
the truth is that god, is the one who gives pain and he himself gives the remedies.

pain,suffering,pleasure,happiness and all the emotions and feelings are the creation of god,and he inflicts them upon his being at different intervvals, to show his bounty, and make the creature realise that he is nothing more than a creation of his.

and yes although allah(swt) could surely give us that brain at any later time, but how do we know that time has come, and if suddenly the generations start to have a bigger and better brains, then it will probably lead to even more superstition, and allah does nothing suopernatural, infact everything which he does is natural, ie:what could have been the supernatural, has been made natural for you.

plz have a decent debate,and plz avoid inflicting words on personal belief, especially god