Eating meat...

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

Bekki659
Student

Eating meat...

Post #1

Post by Bekki659 »

Yes, this dilemma is mine. It's literally tearing me apart from the inside; its that bad of a conflict to me.

Background:
I've been a vegetarian for a long time. Strict. Nothing with gelatin in it, nothing made with chicken broth or beef broth. That's very limiting.

Recently, I've gone through some pretty life changing events in the past year. One of them is meeting my boyfriend, who has been the first person to convince me that I actually have a good chance of getting married and having kids.
Now, I don't want to raise my kids as vegetarians for the following reasons:
1) I am Scotch-Irish. That's a big part of who I am, and it hardly allows for vegetarianism. I want my kids to experience meat pies, stew, ect.
2) I dont want them to feel like outsiders on my boyfriends side of the family. MY family is very liberal when it comes to cooking. Me and my mom make a point of it to eat food from all over the world, and experience many things... but his family is very traditional. They do a lot of fried chicken and fried stuff in general... they are the typical down home cookin, christian family.
2) I want my kids to experience fine meats. I want them to be able to eat my dad's amazing steaks, and I want to make them the recipes that my grandmother brought back from Panama when they moved to the states.

I personally miss the variety of things that you can do with meat. I used to make fantastic dishes with meat as the centerpiece.

The dilemma:

I don't know if I can do it. Well I KNOW I can do it, but not with a clear conscience. I don't so much have a problem with eating meat... I asked my boyfriend and his family (who I actually have incredible amounts of respect and adoration for) how the Bible dealt with the issue, and I find that comforting.

Its more the way that meat is made these days. I cannot STAND the way slaughter is carried out... it makes me cry to think about it, in addition that I already cry over the thought of eating meat again.

Where you guys come in:
How do justify eating meat? Do you have guilt? Is it different now than what the bible was talking about so many years ago simply because of the new-age mass slaughter process? Does it not matter?

I think... I might go to a local "cruelty free" farmer and buy some chicken. I dont think I would be able to eat beef with a clear conscience yet... what do you guys think of that choice?

I know that it is up to me in the end, but I feel like you guys always bring up such good points and are such an educated bunch of people... it would be nice to have some outside views.

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Eating meat...

Post #2

Post by Goat »

Bekki659 wrote:Yes, this dilemma is mine. It's literally tearing me apart from the inside; its that bad of a conflict to me.

Background:
I've been a vegetarian for a long time. Strict. Nothing with gelatin in it, nothing made with chicken broth or beef broth. That's very limiting.

Recently, I've gone through some pretty life changing events in the past year. One of them is meeting my boyfriend, who has been the first person to convince me that I actually have a good chance of getting married and having kids.
Now, I don't want to raise my kids as vegetarians for the following reasons:
1) I am Scotch-Irish. That's a big part of who I am, and it hardly allows for vegetarianism. I want my kids to experience meat pies, stew, ect.
2) I dont want them to feel like outsiders on my boyfriends side of the family. MY family is very liberal when it comes to cooking. Me and my mom make a point of it to eat food from all over the world, and experience many things... but his family is very traditional. They do a lot of fried chicken and fried stuff in general... they are the typical down home cookin, christian family.
2) I want my kids to experience fine meats. I want them to be able to eat my dad's amazing steaks, and I want to make them the recipes that my grandmother brought back from Panama when they moved to the states.

I personally miss the variety of things that you can do with meat. I used to make fantastic dishes with meat as the centerpiece.

The dilemma:

I don't know if I can do it. Well I KNOW I can do it, but not with a clear conscience. I don't so much have a problem with eating meat... I asked my boyfriend and his family (who I actually have incredible amounts of respect and adoration for) how the Bible dealt with the issue, and I find that comforting.

Its more the way that meat is made these days. I cannot STAND the way slaughter is carried out... it makes me cry to think about it, in addition that I already cry over the thought of eating meat again.

Where you guys come in:
How do justify eating meat? Do you have guilt? Is it different now than what the bible was talking about so many years ago simply because of the new-age mass slaughter process? Does it not matter?

I think... I might go to a local "cruelty free" farmer and buy some chicken. I dont think I would be able to eat beef with a clear conscience yet... what do you guys think of that choice?

I know that it is up to me in the end, but I feel like you guys always bring up such good points and are such an educated bunch of people... it would be nice to have some outside views.
I personally don't have an issue with it. However, since you are concerned about it, try goign for the organic free range chickens. Not only don't they have the added antibodics and hormones , but it just tastes better. If you insist on the organic meats, it gives you a good excuse to avoid most meat.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Bekki659
Student

Post #3

Post by Bekki659 »

That is true. Thanks!

C-Nub
Scholar

Post #4

Post by C-Nub »

I actually have some ethical problems with vegetarians, but that`s probably an (irrational) story for another day.

We are meat-eaters. We have digestive systems designed for fat and flesh intake, and our dietary needs and nutritional requirements as functional beings rely on meat proteins. Not eating meat requires that substitutes be found to maintain the necessary dietary balance to survive and be healthy.

If you accept the biblical version of things, animals are here, placed by God, for us to care for and eat. They have nervous systems, as we`re all well aware, so God clearly wants them to feel pain before they die. They don`t have souls, though, also according to God, so the purpose of this is completely unclear.

From an evolutionary standpoint, the animals are all in competition with each other (including us) and as such, have the ability to feel pain in order to realize when they are in danger and fight or flight accordingly.

In both cases, however, there is no clear immorality in the eating or farming of animals.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Barbecue. Pork Barbecue. Not that beef they cook in San Antonio and call Barbecue. Pork Barbecue. Cooked slow. With whatever fixin's you like. And a heaping pile of cole slaw, with a tall glass of sweet tea, lemon wedge if you must.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

onefaith
Scholar

Post #6

Post by onefaith »

haha you are so southern :lol: :P

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by McCulloch »

On the advise of my doctor and of responsible dietitians, I have cut down my meat consumption. Smaller portions, less red meat especially, lean cuts, poultry and fish more often, creative culinary practices to make the smaller amounts of meat used into interesting accents on the plate rather than pathetically small pieces, going vegetarian at least a few times a week, locally produced and ethically raised whenever possible.

I might live longer and I seem to feel better. Lost some weight too, (not quite down to where I should be but I'm getting close.)
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Confused »

C-Nub wrote:I actually have some ethical problems with vegetarians, but that`s probably an (irrational) story for another day.

We are meat-eaters. We have digestive systems designed for fat and flesh intake, and our dietary needs and nutritional requirements as functional beings rely on meat proteins. Not eating meat requires that substitutes be found to maintain the necessary dietary balance to survive and be healthy.

If you accept the biblical version of things, animals are here, placed by God, for us to care for and eat. They have nervous systems, as we`re all well aware, so God clearly wants them to feel pain before they die. They don`t have souls, though, also according to God, so the purpose of this is completely unclear.

From an evolutionary standpoint, the animals are all in competition with each other (including us) and as such, have the ability to feel pain in order to realize when they are in danger and fight or flight accordingly.

In both cases, however, there is no clear immorality in the eating or farming of animals.
I am not sure why you would have an ethical issue with vegetarians. It seems to me that it is either a personal choice or a medically induced choice.

I am a vegetarian, but not by personal choice per se. I lost the ability to eat any meat as a result of chemo. But ultimately, one might say that is a choice.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Confused
Site Supporter

Re: Eating meat...

Post #9

Post by Confused »

Bekki659 wrote:
Where you guys come in:

I think what matters is what you can live with and maintaining enough of a balance to be healthy. Being vegetarian is actually gaining in popularity, not because of the "cruelty" or "new age" issues so much, but because health wise, it is much more healthy. I don't begrudge anyone who eats meat. The market today is actually becoming more and more diverse for organic foods, including meats. But even dining establishments are starting to serve more vegetarian selections as well.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Fried Chicken. And not bought from the Colonel. Deep fat fried with mashed taters and an ocean of gravy. While you're fixing all that, get the livers fried up beforehand, pass em out while everyone jaws (don't skip the sliced 'maters). A fat, butter-soaked cat-head biscuit, some dipping honey with or without the nest. Some creasy greens, cause that's just the right thing to do. Vidalia onion the size of your fist, sliced thick enough ya gotta smile when ya eat it. And if cole slaw ain't served you got the legal right, and the morals, to walk out in protest. And hush puppies, onion's okay, but if corn chunks are in em look back to the cole slaw rule. And cold beer, obligation here is what ya can afford, it just has to be cold and not have lite, light or anything kin to that writ on it. Half to suitcase per, and some wine coolers for the hens. Sweet tea or buttermilk with the meal, pending how much that suit case traveled. And quit making me sit at the dang kid's table, they take my cold beer.

Dadgum the healthy choices, pick the good ones!
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin