Shortage of Christians Around?

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

C-Nub
Scholar

Shortage of Christians Around?

Post #1

Post by C-Nub »

Not the sort of thing I ever thought I'd be lamenting, but we seem to be getting somewhat critically short of Christians. At this point, most of our threads asking questions are answered first by five to ten non-theists, and then, if we're lucky, one or two Christians. (Or Gnostics...)

Now, if it were because there were fewer Christians on earth, I'd celebrate that, but honestly, I think we're driving them away or, in some cases, converting them. Both are alright with me, since 'driving away' means that they can no longer argue, and hopefully walk away realizing that their position is much weaker than they originally thought, or like I said, they've been converted.

The problem, though, is that without theists to debate, or for that matter, moderate theists to balance out the current crop of mostly fundamentalists we're currently dealing with, we sort of lose our purpose here.

We either have people like CNorman, who are people of faith with all the qualities of agnosticism, making them very good to have around but very difficult to argue with, or people who'll argue almost insupportable positions without the ability (or at least willingness) to grasp or accept the most basic and fundamental of scientific principles, making them difficult to argue with (and not particularly good to have around, on the forums or the planet.)

Is it my imagination? Am I just not in the same threads as the active (and moderate) theists, or is there really a growing shortage of quality opposition to the atheist point of view here?

And if so, should we do something? And if so, uh, what?

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #21

Post by Goat »

C-Nub wrote:Well, I have reservations about allowing Australians to participate in anything, but if you wanted to go recruiting, I doubt we could stop you. Just make sure they don't think we're all from your backwater summer-is-winter-here continent. That's just too embarrassing to consider.
But, but, they have such Great beaches, Not to mention kola bears look cute.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Evales
Scholar

Post #22

Post by Evales »

Koala XD
They're smelly and gross up close. FYI I've only seen them in zoos and parks : S

C-Nub
Scholar

Post #23

Post by C-Nub »

Oh yeah, you can really trust a country who's cute, fuzzy little bears lull you into a false sense of security. That's a good plan right there. Koala's are cute, so I guess I'll go swimming in this really muddy river.

Then BAM! A crocodile gets you! And when you call 911, the paramedics show up only to take your shoes, wallet and watch, because Australia is full of criminals! Criminals I say!

I think we should swap it and Antarctica. Australia would support a bigger ice-shelf and I think a beach with penguin waiters would be awesome.

Angel

Re: Shortage of Christians Around?

Post #24

Post by Angel »

C-Nub wrote:Not the sort of thing I ever thought I'd be lamenting, but we seem to be getting somewhat critically short of Christians. At this point, most of our threads asking questions are answered first by five to ten non-theists, and then, if we're lucky, one or two Christians. (Or Gnostics...)

Now, if it were because there were fewer Christians on earth, I'd celebrate that, but honestly, I think we're driving them away or, in some cases, converting them. Both are alright with me, since 'driving away' means that they can no longer argue, and hopefully walk away realizing that their position is much weaker than they originally thought, or like I said, they've been converted.

The problem, though, is that without theists to debate, or for that matter, moderate theists to balance out the current crop of mostly fundamentalists we're currently dealing with, we sort of lose our purpose here.

We either have people like CNorman, who are people of faith with all the qualities of agnosticism, making them very good to have around but very difficult to argue with, or people who'll argue almost insupportable positions without the ability (or at least willingness) to grasp or accept the most basic and fundamental of scientific principles, making them difficult to argue with (and not particularly good to have around, on the forums or the planet.)

Is it my imagination? Am I just not in the same threads as the active (and moderate) theists, or is there really a growing shortage of quality opposition to the atheist point of view here?

And if so, should we do something? And if so, uh, what?
That seems to be the outlook in a lot of academic/scientific/debate settings. Some Christians are not even into studying their own Scriptures, and I don't mean just reading a verse here and there, I mean the history behind it, the canonicity, Christian theology, rather than only going by what a pastor says. Not to fault those who listen to their pastors but I'm saying the Christians who only do that should be doing more to learn about their faith and other relevant issues. Maybe this problem is being address more since I'm starting to notice a few more theists willing to engage on these issues than before the year 2000 lets say.