Origin of Species book debate signup

Messages from the admins

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Origin of Species book debate signup

Post #1

Post by otseng »

I will be starting a book debate of On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin (1859 first edition) in the next coming months.

If you'd like to join, reply here to sign up.
Last edited by otseng on Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pazuzu bin Hanbi
Sage

Post #2

Post by Pazuzu bin Hanbi »

I’ve read a fair few works on evolution and natural selection, but I will shame–facedly admit never to having read The Origin of Species! And so I intend to buy an anniversary edition (they have one out, right?) and get cracking! Sign me up :D
لا إلـــــــــــــــــــــــــــه

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

Pazuzu bin Hanbi wrote:I’ve read a fair few works on evolution and natural selection, but I will shame–facedly admit never to having read The Origin of Species! And so I intend to buy an anniversary edition (they have one out, right?) and get cracking! Sign me up :D
Got you signed up.

I've never read it either. I've tried to before, but really didn't have the motivation to slug through it. If we have a book debate on it, then I'll have to read it. O:)

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Goat »

otseng wrote:
Pazuzu bin Hanbi wrote:I’ve read a fair few works on evolution and natural selection, but I will shame–facedly admit never to having read The Origin of Species! And so I intend to buy an anniversary edition (they have one out, right?) and get cracking! Sign me up :D
Got you signed up.

I've never read it either. I've tried to before, but really didn't have the motivation to slug through it. If we have a book debate on it, then I'll have to read it. O:)
Sign me up too.. it will be good motivation to look at it from the historical perspective.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Greenbeard
Student

Origin book debate

Post #5

Post by Greenbeard »

I'm in.

otseng
Savant

Post #6

Post by otseng »

Added goat and Greenbeard.

byofrcs

Re: Origin of Species book debate signup

Post #7

Post by byofrcs »

otseng wrote:I will be starting a book debate of On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin (1859 first edition) in the next coming months.

If you'd like to join, reply here to sign up.
Count me in. The first edition is available online (my copy is in storage in another country).

I'm quite curious what there is to debate about that hasn't already been thrashed to death or amended in later editions, though obviously Darwin's softspot for Lamarckian inheritance is a good attack.

otseng
Savant

Re: Origin of Species book debate signup

Post #8

Post by otseng »

byofrcs wrote:Count me in. The first edition is available online (my copy is in storage in another country).
Added.
I'm quite curious what there is to debate about that hasn't already been thrashed to death or amended in later editions, though obviously Darwin's softspot for Lamarckian inheritance is a good attack.
True about Lamarck. But I'm impressed how far he could go even though science at the time had no clear understanding of genetics. The goal for me isn't really to refute his book based on what we know now. But more to understand his arguments and to debate it on that alone.

Pazuzu bin Hanbi
Sage

Post #9

Post by Pazuzu bin Hanbi »

…and now I remember what I was supposed to do today! I went into a discount bookstore and bought 5 different books for a grand total of Quid 10. Only when I came on here and checked my posts that I realised I’d intended to buy Darwin’s book today! :-s Silly me.
لا إلـــــــــــــــــــــــــــه

kiwimac
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by kiwimac »

Count me in as well but do remember my time-zone is +13 hours GMT.