Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

ravenssong
Student

Atheist holiday sign - WA state Capitol building

Post #1

Post by ravenssong »

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/ ... 4f26e.html

Why is there so much conflict over this issue?
Would people have such a big problem if this sign related Hindu beliefs, instead of atheist beliefs?
Even as a "former Christian" I still don't understand why the presence of opposing or even different points of view is seen as a threat to Christians.
Christians - does this sign piss you off? why?

Jaysin
Student

Re: Atheist holiday sign - WA state Capitol building

Post #2

Post by Jaysin »

ravenssong wrote:http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/ ... 4f26e.html

Would people have such a big problem if this sign related Hindu beliefs, instead of atheist beliefs?
Even as a "former Christian" I still don't understand why the presence of opposing or even different points of view is seen as a threat to Christians.
Anything that Christians think could undermine or question their religion is taken as a deliberate attack on Christianity. Instead of looking at the points of view of others with tolerance, they metaphorically plug their ears, shut their eyes, hold their breath, and stomp their feet.

Homicidal_Cherry53
Sage

Post #3

Post by Homicidal_Cherry53 »

How could they not let the Festivus Pole go up? :lol:

There really isn't all that much wrong with this poster. Its message was a bit belligerent and arrogant, but in the end, it isn't all that big of a deal.

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Nilloc James »

Everyone, atheists and christains are getting a little worked up over this.

Jian^sia
Apprentice

Does this piss me off?

Post #5

Post by Jian^sia »

Yes, only because it presents false information.

ravenssong
Student

Post #6

Post by ravenssong »

what false information was presented?
if you believe something to be false why is it offensive? There is no chance of you being misled if you already believe something else to be truth.

Cmass
Guru

Post #7

Post by Cmass »

I remember when this whole thing broke down in Oly. I considered making up my own religion to post along with the others.
Look, the fact is we need to stick to the separation of church and state, it's that simple. Either that or we need to change the 1st amendment and establish the Christian Taliban.
Christians can do as they please on private property using private funds but I don't want my tax dollars funding the "holiday tree" AKA Christmas tree. (BTW, I have a Christmas tree each year and even go through the ritual of cutting it myself.) It's gone on long enough, they've had their fun. Time to get their plastic Jesus the hell off state property. There should be no controversy.

This was my favorite part of the article:
"Hey, I believe in Jesus Christ and if you don't that's OK because you're going to fry like a Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage on Judgement Day," said Hutcherson.
What a pleasant person that pastor Hutcherson is.
"He whose testicles are crushed or whose male member is cut off shall not enter the assembly of the Lord." Deuteronomy 23:1 :yikes:

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by micatala »

Homicidal_Cherry53 wrote:

How could they not let the Festivus Pole go up? :lol:

There really isn't all that much wrong with this poster. Its message was a bit belligerent and arrogant, but in the end, it isn't all that big of a deal.
I pray for the day when people realize the constitution does not have a right not to be offended.

Maybe they could put up the phrase from that old Monty Python song:

"Lighten up, there are stars in the sky,
Lighten up, it's a good question why,
but you don't know the answer, and neither do I,
so meanwhile let's just all lighten up"
" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn

aerobatty
Student

Re: Does this piss me off?

Post #9

Post by aerobatty »

Jian^sia wrote:Yes, only because it presents false information.
At least it doesn't threaten believers that they are going to burn like pure pork sausages (which the Rev. Hutchinson appears to enjoy just a little too much) on judgement day.

That, my friend, is false information.

freeman
Student

Post #10

Post by freeman »

Washington was voted the least religious state in the union. I don't find it surprising. I lived there for 50 years. I recently left to live in another state because of the anti religious sentiment, extremely high taxation without representation in the form of "special elections", and the high level of immorality among politicians and California immigrants. You can have Washington, I no longer care for it.