Total votes: 13

chrispalasz
Scholar

Does Neutrality exist?

Post #1

Post by chrispalasz »

On the thread: "How do we know God is the good guy?" -
Tigerlilly wrote:
God is the enemy of Satan, yet we only have one point of view, and I doubt we know the true nature of went on from a neutral persepective.
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 1579#11579

I propose that neutrality does not exist. I think that anyone claiming to hold a "neutral" perspective on something is living a bias. The concept of "neutral" comes from a simple lack of understanding and lack of knowledge. We can only consider ourselves neutral if we don't have the facts... So, let's debate this issue.

Here's the question:
Does neutrality exist? Please support your stance.

Vianne
Student

Post #21

Post by Vianne »

I’m not sure exactly whether the quibble here is over moral neutrality or not, but that’s what I’m going to address first.

Neutrality is all there is. Anything beyond that is human invention imposed to create social order. Nature itself is entirely without morality: survival is the only universal law. Humans base our concept of “morality” on what we have observed to be socially beneficial. Religion is the merging of this practice with human attempts to explain the world around them. Naturally very few monotheistic faiths are going to accept neutral religious beliefs, because in their minds you are either part of their faith, or you’re not.

If we’re talking about neutrality in regards to general topics over which we have to make a decision, of course there is such a thing as neutrality. Based on information you have, you can support an issue or not, or not care one way or the other. If new information makes itself available which alters the circumstances, you make a decision again: support, don’t support, or don’t care.

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #22

Post by BeHereNow »

vianne Neutrality is all there is. Anything beyond that is human invention imposed to create social order. Nature itself is entirely without morality:
Humans are part of nature.
Human action is part of nature.
survival is the only universal law.
In what respect?
Now if you want to tell me a rock will exert effort to survive. . .
So I assume you mean survival of living things, but of course living things do not survive, not in the long run.
You may mean they strive to survive. They attempt to survive. Their effort is exerted to survive. And yet we know parents will sacrifice themselves for their offspring.
So now we are at “survival of the species”, as opposed to survival of the individual.
It seems to me that this is what you really mean: “survival of the species is the only universal law (implying "univeral law for living things").
I will now suggest that for survival of the species homo sapiens, certain physical laws must be observed, having to do with heat, moisture, air pressure, gravity, etc.
If the physical laws having to do with these things are disregarded, there will be a negative effect on the species. The laws concerned with these must be observed, learned, and followed if the species is to flourish.

Now it seems quite possible to me that if there are laws concerning the physical world which must be observed for the species to flourish, then it might be expected that there are similar laws concerning actions of living things which must equally be observed or the species will not flourish, and will die out.

It seems quite reasonable that murder and excess arsenic might have equally bad effects on the species homo sapiens.

Thus I conclude that “moral laws” are no more an invention of man than physical laws.
I also surmise (might I say, intuit) that both sets of these laws have the same origin, whatever that might be.

Humans base our concept of “morality” on what we have observed to be socially beneficial.
Certainly this is not true for all individual humans. Christians (for example), get their morality from the scriptures. It is this way with all humans who have sacred writings they refer to. Their morality has been established long before they were born, let alone cognizant enough to observe what is beneficial. As they mature they adopt the morality of the sacred writings of their culture, or one they admire. Morality is “handed down” from group to group. Morality is shaped by each generation, but retains the roots of those who went before.
Religion is the merging of this practice with human attempts to explain the world around them. Naturally very few monotheistic faiths are going to accept neutral religious beliefs, because in their minds you are either part of their faith, or you’re not.
I’m not sure why you inserted “monotheistic”, as I do not see how polytheistic religions are any different.
Those moral codes which rely on sacred texts are certainly closed systems, we agree on that.
Moral codes which are derived by other means are much more likely to be accepting of deviations.
In particular, sacred text morality normally has directives about how symbols of religion are to be treated, and these are irrelevant to those outside the group.
We also see directives about what goes in or on the human body, which is equally irrelevant to others.

Vianne
Student

Post #23

Post by Vianne »

BeHereNow wrote: Humans are part of nature. Human action is part of nature.
Exactly. Which is why our behavior and laws tend to stem from a desire for survival on some level, at least.
BeHereNow wrote: It seems to me that this is what you really mean: “survival of the species is the only universal law (implying "universal law for living things").
Yes, you phrased that much better than I could have. Survival is the universal law in two different ways: collectively, as in the fact that life will continue in one form or another as long as there is something present live off of, and individually, as members of a species will always gravitate towards doing that which seems most likely to keep them alive. But you clearly get what I’m saying here, so I won’t elaborate further.
BeHereNow wrote: Thus I conclude that “moral laws” are no more an invention of man than physical laws.
I would disagree slightly. The physical laws are the predetermined workings of the universe; the moral laws, or more appropriately the behavioral laws, come from human observation of those laws, somewhat like a map to guide us through life as humans. I imagine if the behavioral laws for a cat or a slug would be somewhat different, despite the fact that the physical laws of the universe have not altered in the least. A cat might avoid dunking itself in water, for example, and a slug might make a note to avoid salt. People, on the other hand, can roll in salt and then jump in a lake and be just fine. What’s different? Not the chemistry of the water or the salt. Just the organism interacting with them. The physical laws do not change; the behavioral laws change with what is deemed most helpful as time goes on. We no longer avoid pork, for instance, because we now have better means of sanitizing and preserving it.
BeHereNow wrote: Christians (for example), get their morality from the scriptures.
And where did they get it from? The Jews and the Pagans (which is another debate entirely, I realize that). Where did they get it from? Those who founded those faiths. At some point in time, however, someone many years ago had to have noted that stealing or lying caused others to distrust and dislike him, and often resulted in conflict and relationship difficulties. This in turn was recognized to be socially harmful. Therefore when someone wrote down the codes for the tribe to abide by, they remembered this, and mentioned that their people should not take what does not belong to them or bear false witness. This in turn was eventually accepted as the Word of God, and was passed down accordingly. This is what I mean by what is socially beneficial being the determining factor in deciding morality – those people who, as you mentioned, established “morality” long before any of us where born.

You mentioned Christians get their morality from the Bible, and yet you do not see them stoning adulterers, killing unbelievers or (very) rebellious children, or executing promiscuous daughters of pastors. Many of them are against spanking, as well, despite the Biblical incentive to not “spare the rod”. They wear clothing of mixed fabrics and don’t ostracize a woman from society while she is menstruating. Many of them divorce for reasons other than adultery, as well. I don’t think it’s because the law would intervene in any of these cases, either.

Why? They’ve figured out that in many cases, counseling (or discussing one’s differences) is more effective than killing, there is nothing particularly evil about a menstruating woman (although this may be regarded as a purity issue that was discarded after Christ), and leaving an abusive spouse is sometimes preferable to sticking it out (even if he or she has been faithful) -- despite what the Bible says on all these topics.

A supreme being does not need to tell us that bad interpersonal relationship skills produce bad interpersonal relationships. Hence, people created morality based on what they found helpful or hurtful in their dealings with others.
BeHereNow wrote: I’m not sure why you inserted “monotheistic”, as I do not see how polytheistic religions are any different.
Polytheistic cultures tended to be accepting of the gods (and religious practices) of others, not knowing what that god might be like, or what he or she may demand from her followers. This tolerant attitude also helped polytheistic cultures to be accepting of “neutral” ways of thinking.

Monotheistic cultures, on the other hand, tended to believe that because they worship the only real god, they are right and all others are wrong, and therefore they have a right to sway others to their way of thinking. You’ll notice most polytheistic societies lacked the holy wars that monotheistic ones suffered from.

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #24

Post by BeHereNow »

BHN: Thus I conclude that “moral laws” are no more an invention of man than physical laws.

Vianne: I would disagree slightly. The physical laws are the predetermined workings of the universe; the moral laws, or more appropriately the behavioral laws, come from human observation of those laws, somewhat like a map to guide us through life as humans. I imagine if the behavioral laws for a cat or a slug would be somewhat different, despite the fact that the physical laws of the universe have not altered in the least. A cat might avoid dunking itself in water, for example, and a slug might make a note to avoid salt. People, on the other hand, can roll in salt and then jump in a lake and be just fine. What’s different? Not the chemistry of the water or the salt. Just the organism interacting with them. The physical laws do not change; the behavioral laws change with what is deemed most helpful as time goes on. We no longer avoid pork, for instance, because we now have better means of sanitizing and preserving it.

You say one might expect that behavioral laws for cats and slugs would be different, even though physical laws have not altered.
By way of explanation you then point out cats avoid water and slugs avoid salt, and humans avoid neither.
I fail to understand your explanation.
You have demonstrated that just as the effect of behavior laws of cats and slugs differ from each other and from humans, so also the effect of physical laws differ among species. That is to say yes, the physical laws remain the same, but will dictate different action or effect on various species.
Physical laws prescribe the effect salt will have concerning various species, and those effects will vary from beneficial to deadly, depending on the species, and in some cases depending on the individual.
Moral laws prescribe the effect killing will have on various species, sometimes beneficial, sometimes not.

Certainly I am not advocating that all morality by all cultures are eternal or co-existing with physical laws. Your example of pork, and indeed any example, can be credited to be the invention of a particular culture. This does not mean that there are not a limited number of moral laws which have co-existed with the physical laws.
The question I ask myself is not ‘Are some moral laws arbitrary and an invention of man?’, but rather “Are some moral laws beneficial to a culture, even if they are disregarded, ignored or undetected by that same culture?’.

Childhood sacrifice or euthanasia might well be a valued part of a particular culture. This does not mean it does not violate a higher moral law than that proposed by the local priests.
Childhood sexual molestation may be a valued sacred practice indispensable to clan happiness, but. . . .

I do believe that some who put value on absolute morals are too restrictive and short sighted. In their efforts to be clear and true to the absolute standard they have accepted, they try to over-generalize.

Concerning physical laws, if I simply said ‘Because of gravity, any ball bearing dropped from a certain height will fall to the ground at a certain speed in a certain direction’ I would be equally short sighted and restrictive. I would have to understand and allow that magnetic and other forces could/would cause the ball bearing to violate my inadequate description of the effects of gravity on all ball bearings. Knowing the laws of gravity alone will not allow me to correctly predict the effect of gravity on all ball bearings in all situations.

If I say ‘Do not kill others of the same species’ is a moral law, and once violated will always cause greater harm than good, I would be short sighted and too restrictive.

If I say “Childhood sacrifice and euthanasia are always and everywhere violations of an absolute moral law against such actions’, I would be too restrictive, never imagining a society where overpopulation and a lack of basic needs would cause great suffering and a slow and agonizing death for the majority of children.

In applying physical laws, one needs to know all of the conditions present to properly apply the laws.
Properly applied, gasoline can extinguish a fire, all the while following all physical laws. Improperly applied, the gasoline will fuel the fire.
Scientists go to great extremes to eliminate all outside forces/conditions in the study and determination of physical laws. If there is not total isolation, the results are of questionable value.
Yet many who advocate for enforcement of moral laws want to say that extenuating circumstances are of no concern.
For them there is a duality that exists, separating moral and physical laws. The rules are different.
I see no duality.
If we look at the physical laws, and how they are demonstrated, observed, followed, we have a pattern for moral laws, as they are part of one whole.

There is a difference of course in that it seems physical laws “must” be obeyed. Given sufficient or complete information about the material things at hand, the laws will allow one to predict outcomes.
It seems concerning the behavior of living things, moral laws do not act this way. The moral law may say ‘In this situation, the child should not be killed’, and yet the child is killed. Knowing the moral law beforehand did not allow us to predict that the child would not be killed. And yet, if I am correct, knowing the moral law would allow us to predict that this action will have a negative effect on the killer and society in general.

BHN: Christians (for example), get their morality from the scriptures.

Vianne: And where did they get it from? The Jews and the Pagans (which is another debate entirely, I realize that). Where did they get it from? Those who founded those faiths. At some point in time, however, someone many years ago had to have noted that stealing or lying caused others to distrust and dislike him, and often resulted in conflict and relationship difficulties. This in turn was recognized to be socially harmful. Therefore when someone wrote down the codes for the tribe to abide by, they remembered this, and mentioned that their people should not take what does not belong to them or bear false witness. This in turn was eventually accepted as the Word of God, and was passed down accordingly. This is what I mean by what is socially beneficial being the determining factor in deciding morality – those people who, as you mentioned, established “morality” long before any of us where born.
How does this explain arbitrary and artificial morality?
Length of hair and manner of dress are often concerns of the peoples of the books, yet seem to serve no purpose than to make for easy identification of the true believers.
Observance of particular days on the calendar similarly have strong moral associations with no intrinsic value except for unity of the clan.
Hunter-gatherers and agrarians needed to be aware of particular seasons, and we surmise this lead to observance of particular days, but the sacred writings demand moral observance of particular days beyond what can be observed as beneficial.

I am not saying all morality from the sacred writings are divinely inspired, independent of observation and need.
I am saying followers of religions look to the sacred writings for all of their moral guidelines, many times disregarding what observation and reasoning might reveal to them.
You mentioned Christians get their morality from the Bible, and yet you do not see them stoning adulterers, killing unbelievers or (very) rebellious children, or executing promiscuous daughters of pastors. Many of them are against spanking, as well, despite the Biblical incentive to not “spare the rod”. They wear clothing of mixed fabrics and don’t ostracize a woman from society while she is menstruating. Many of them divorce for reasons other than adultery, as well. I don’t think it’s because the law would intervene in any of these cases, either.

Why? They’ve figured out that in many cases, counseling (or discussing one’s differences) is more effective than killing, there is nothing particularly evil about a menstruating woman (although this may be regarded as a purity issue that was discarded after Christ), and leaving an abusive spouse is sometimes preferable to sticking it out (even if he or she has been faithful) -- despite what the Bible says on all these topics.
I stand by my statement that Christians get their morality from the bible. What you explain is that their interpretation of the bible varies, based on observation, common sense, or plain old pragmatism.
Pragmatism shapes their interpretation of biblical morals, we agree.
They do not look first to society, to determine what is common, or unusual, allowable or prohibited.
They look first to the bible, and to the best of their ability follow the mandates set forth. At times their understanding of the scriptures, and their observance of the real world, causes them to take a second look. The interpretation is modified, as you suggest.
Simply because a mountain stream meanders through the plains, does not meant the stream does not come from the mountains.
A supreme being does not need to tell us that bad interpersonal relationship skills produce bad interpersonal relationships.
I agree completely. As a Deist I believed there is no divine revelation to mankind.
Hence, people created morality based on what they found helpful or hurtful in their dealings with others.
Surely you would not say we need a supreme being to tell us gravity will cause things to fall to earth. Nor would you say because we need no supreme being to tell us the physical laws, they have been created by man.
If the natural world has laws which can be discerned by man without god, I say it is the same for moral laws.

Vianne: Polytheistic cultures tended to be accepting of the gods (and religious practices) of others, not knowing what that god might be like, or what he or she may demand from her followers. This tolerant attitude also helped polytheistic cultures to be accepting of “neutral” ways of thinking.

Monotheistic cultures, on the other hand, tended to believe that because they worship the only real god, they are right and all others are wrong, and therefore they have a right to sway others to their way of thinking. You’ll notice most polytheistic societies lacked the holy wars that monotheistic ones suffered from.
I see your point.

Vianne
Student

Post #25

Post by Vianne »

I fail to understand your explanation.
Actually, judging from the rest of that paragraph, I think you understood my meaning quite well.
I do believe that some who put value on absolute morals are too restrictive and short sighted. In their efforts to be clear and true to the absolute standard they have accepted, they try to over-generalize.
Good point. I would agree with that.
Yet many who advocate for enforcement of moral laws want to say that extenuating circumstances are of no concern. For them there is a duality that exists, separating moral and physical laws. The rules are different. I see no duality. If we look at the physical laws, and how they are demonstrated, observed, followed, we have a pattern for moral laws, as they are part of one whole.
That is an excellent philosophy, one which demonstrates what I believe to be the crucial flaw in absolutist thinking. The most effective moral laws should be based on physical laws, i.e. what is most consistently practical and beneficial for humans and their happiness.
Length of hair and manner of dress are often concerns of the peoples of the books, yet seem to serve no purpose than to make for easy identification of the true believers. Observance of particular days on the calendar similarly have strong moral associations with no intrinsic value except for unity of the clan. Hunter-gatherers and agrarians needed to be aware of particular seasons, and we surmise this lead to observance of particular days, but the sacred writings demand moral observance of particular days beyond what can be observed as beneficial.
Each law had a purpose to the culture it was created in. The laws might have been based on actual practical needs specific to that culture (i.e. seasonal awareness for farmers), or they might have been arbitrary concepts of "purity" designed to appease their god (hairstyle, manner of dress, observance of certain days, what have you). These arbitrary concepts were, of course, primitive grasps at understanding and controlling their world (if we sacrifice a virgin we won't have a drought, because that's what happened when we did it last year!).

Both practical and arbitrary laws were incorporated into sacred texts. In both cases, the laws were based on some type of observation in hopes that the appropriate behavior would produce the desired result.
I am saying followers of religions look to the sacred writings for all of their moral guidelines, many times disregarding what observation and reasoning might reveal to them.
Exactly. I think we're both trying to make the same point, you're just much more eloquent and concise than I am. :D
I stand by my statement that Christians get their morality from the bible. What you explain is that their interpretation of the bible varies, based on observation, common sense, or plain old pragmatism.
Sort of. Christians *do* get their morality from the Bible, as you pointed out, they just don't realize that the Bible came from a handful of belligerent desert nomads, as opposed to an all-knowing deity.

The point I am making is that while yes, Christians today look to the Bible, at some point long before the assembly and mass publication of the Bible, Morality as a concept had to be designed by the first primitive people.

What did they base their design on? Their own primitive understanding of the world and how to best get along in it. While that included some common sense relationship skills, like how to get along with your neighbors, it also included things like how not to anger that great mysterious being who crashes clouds together and prevents rain from falling when they need it. How were they to know thunder or drought had natural explanations that had nothing to do with their behavior? Disease, death, or illness were all thought to be punishments. Biblical morality thus evolved with a sort of oddball hit-or-miss pattern: whoops, we dated those cute Midianite girls and then that horrible disease hit us, God must not like that. Note to self: no dating pagans! And you'll notice today there is still the Biblical mandate to avoid being "unequally yolked".
If the natural world has laws which can be discerned by man without god, I say it is the same for moral laws.
Exactly! Again, I think we basically agree on this whole topic, we're just approaching it from different angles.

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #26

Post by BeHereNow »

I am a little confused.
I consider myself a moral absolutist, since I believe moral laws are as absolute as physical laws.
On the other hand you seem to be a moral relativist, seeing morals as relative to various cultures.
It might be that you are talking about two sets of morals, those absolute morals that exist independent of any culture, and those morals which are practiced by certain cultures, falsely believed to be absolute or true.
Are you a moral absolutist, or a moral relativist?

Vianne
Student

Post #27

Post by Vianne »

BeHereNow wrote:I am a little confused.
I consider myself a moral absolutist, since I believe moral laws are as absolute as physical laws.
On the other hand you seem to be a moral relativist, seeing morals as relative to various cultures.
It might be that you are talking about two sets of morals, those absolute morals that exist independent of any culture, and those morals which are practiced by certain cultures, falsely believed to be absolute or true.
Are you a moral absolutist, or a moral relativist?
A relativist. Bear with me, now -- while I believe that certain behaviors are *hurtful* in essentially every culture, like murder or rape, I do not believe in the concept of "right" or "wrong" as most people define them.

I believe those are labels we place on behaviors, labels which describe their helpfulness or hurtfulness as we see them. That does not make them inherently "right" or "wrong", however. All behavior just "is".

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #28

Post by BeHereNow »

Vianne A relativist. Bear with me, now -- while I believe that certain behaviors are *hurtful* in essentially every culture, like murder or rape, I do not believe in the concept of "right" or "wrong" as most people define them.
Yes, I thought so. Thank you.
I think we basically agree on this whole topic, we're just approaching it from different angles.
So close, yet so far.
Parallel paths, which will never meet.

Vianne
Student

Post #29

Post by Vianne »

BeHereNow wrote: So close, yet so far. Parallel paths, which will never meet.
In what way? As far as this topic is concerned, I don't really see any areas where we differ.

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #30

Post by BeHereNow »

Vianne Neutrality is all there is. Anything beyond that is human invention imposed to create social order. Nature itself is entirely without morality: survival is the only universal law.
I say there is morality in nature.
I say that there is an absolute morality, just as there are absolute physical laws. They have the same origin.
Just as physical laws are discernable by mankind, so are the moral laws. Some by observation, some by reasoning, some by intuition.
Certain physical laws only apply to gases. Certain moral laws only apply to sentient beings. Those sentient beings which can not chose, are compelled to follow the moral laws. Those that can choose might violate the moral laws, with predictable results (in a general way).