Is atheism a religion?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Is atheism a religion?

Post #1

Post by Nilloc James »

In many places I have seen theists claim atheism is just as much as a religion as any existing one.

Question for debate:
Is atheism a religion?

MY view is summarized by this quote:
Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color. - Don Hirschberg
But I want to know other peoples opinions.

Enemy Anemone

Post #31

Post by Enemy Anemone »

It is not equally logical to assume that the sound assertion that God or gods do not exist requires some sort of leap of faith similar to soundly asserting that they do exist. It is very simple. Nothing exists until it is proven to exist. It is technically possible that every night, ghosts and zombies roam the earth. It is also possible that this life you are experiencing is actually only the subconscious dream of your real self, who lies in a coma from a car accident. It is also possible that each time you take a step, you will fall through the earth instead of walking on top of it. However, these possibilities are definitely not going to occur, until there is evidence that they will. Anything is technically possible, but the existence of God or gods is no more likely than the above examples. God and gods definitely do not exist, in the same way that Santa Claus does not exist, and that you know are a human, and not a deluded octopus. No "belief" is required to reject the possibility of something that is unprovable. God's existence is only as possible as any other random, baseless, absurd claim you can dredge up from your imagination. Conceding the possibility that we live in an infinite universe, then everything is possible, but these things are so astoundingly unlikely that they can be confidently denied as false. In an ideal legal system, you do not "believe" an acquitted suspect did not commit a crime. You know he did not, because there is no evidence suggesting he did. In this way, it is possible to logically know that God or gods do not exist.

Mr Miyagi

Post #32

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Enemy Anemone wrote:It is not equally logical to assume that the sound assertion that God or gods do not exist requires some sort of leap of faith similar to soundly asserting that they do exist. It is very simple. Nothing exists until it is proven to exist. It is technically possible that every night, ghosts and zombies roam the earth. It is also possible that this life you are experiencing is actually only the subconscious dream of your real self, who lies in a coma from a car accident. It is also possible that each time you take a step, you will fall through the earth instead of walking on top of it. However, these possibilities are definitely not going to occur, until there is evidence that they will. Anything is technically possible, but the existence of God or gods is no more likely than the above examples. God and gods definitely do not exist, in the same way that Santa Claus does not exist, and that you know are a human, and not a deluded octopus. No "belief" is required to reject the possibility of something that is unprovable. God's existence is only as possible as any other random, baseless, absurd claim you can dredge up from your imagination. Conceding the possibility that we live in an infinite universe, then everything is possible, but these things are so astoundingly unlikely that they can be confidently denied as false. In an ideal legal system, you do not "believe" an acquitted suspect did not commit a crime. You know he did not, because there is no evidence suggesting he did. In this way, it is possible to logically know that God or gods do not exist.
and on that note we can perhaps conclude the debate as to whether or not we should consider atheism a religion.

theAtheistofnoIllusions
Student

Post #33

Post by theAtheistofnoIllusions »

Of course atheism is a religion. My religion is that there is no God. Only a nihilist could be said to have no religion, for he believes nothing. Atheists are believers, we're just believers without illusions. We believe that only what is experienced is relevant. This belief can be your religion, or another of the many beliefs. Sometimes its a religion based on physical ideas or sensations (worship of money or sex) but its all the same.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #34

Post by bernee51 »

theAtheistofnoIllusions wrote:Of course atheism is a religion. My religion is that there is no God. Only a nihilist could be said to have no religion, for he believes nothing. Atheists are believers, we're just believers without illusions. We believe that only what is experienced is relevant. This belief can be your religion, or another of the many beliefs. Sometimes its a religion based on physical ideas or sensations (worship of money or sex) but its all the same.
Atheism is a lack of belief in god(s) at a minimum, or, in the case of some atheists,e.g. your beleif, that there is no god. Two slightly different positions.

Given that religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs...

I fail to see how atheism can be considerd a religion.

Or as the old saying goes...calling atheism a religion is like calling baldness a hair colour (or not collecting stamps a hobby)
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

theAtheistofnoIllusions
Student

Post #35

something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.1

Atheism is my religion. I believe there is no God. An agnostic believes that there could be a god, but isn't sure wether or not there is. An Atheist denies or disbelieves in the existence of a supreme being.2 This is my religion. Perhaps your religion, the thing you believe in and follow devotedly, is something else, but you have it. Actually it's possible that you don't believe in or follow anything devotedly, so maybe you don't have religion. Atheism can be a religion.

1. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/religion
2. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atheist

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #36

Post by bernee51 »

theAtheistofnoIllusions wrote:something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.1

Atheism is my religion. I believe there is no God.
I believe there are no gods. All gods are a concept - a human construct
theAtheistofnoIllusions wrote: An agnostic believes that there could be a god, but isn't sure wether or not there is.
An agnostic does not know if god exists. They may still have a god belief...or may. The key word here is knowledge - not belief.
theAtheistofnoIllusions wrote: Perhaps your religion, the thing you believe in and follow devotedly, is something else, but you have it. Actually it's possible that you don't believe in or follow anything devotedly, so maybe you don't have religion.
I beleive many things - none that i would consider a 'religion'
theAtheistofnoIllusions wrote: Atheism can be a religion.
If that's what it is for you then it is a religion.

I, however, disagree that atheism pre se fits the common definion of a religion.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

theAtheistofnoIllusions
Student

Post #37

You follow nothing devotedly? There is not one thing which occupies your thoughts more than any other subject? Trust me, you have a religion.
bernee51 wrote: I, however, disagree that atheism pre se fits the common definion of a religion.
Perhaps you should examine your belief a bit more.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #38

Post by bernee51 »

theAtheistofnoIllusions wrote:You follow nothing devotedly? There is not one thing which occupies your thoughts more than any other subject? Trust me, you have a religion.
Oh I certainly do (have something that is very much forefront in my thoughts)....but it is not my atheism.

theAtheistofnoIllusions wrote:
bernee51 wrote: I, however, disagree that atheism per se fits the common definion of a religion.
Such actions are a constant in my life. Are they in yours?

You have yet to explain how atheism, the lack of belief in the in god(s), constitutes a religion.

Nisargadatta Maharaj

theAtheistofnoIllusions
Student

Post #39

Than your religion is not that of atheism.

My religion is atheism. I study religions, and have found atheism to be the most interesting, and most rare. So few true atheists exist, you see. So few who follow their belief that there is no god to its logical conclusion. That statement has consequences for us and this universe. What does the lack of God mean when applied to this life? Ask a Christian what I mean and they will understand, because they know what it means to be Created with Purpose, or to simply be, with only yourself as your purpose. Atheism is as much a leap of faith as Christianity, in the opposite direction. Whereas the Christian embraces an illusion of safety, I have chosen to embrace the reality of our position. That we are alone in this Universe and our existence is no more permanent than anything else.

A religion is something one believes in and follows devotedly. I believe that there is no God and I follow the doctrines of that belief. A point or matter of ethics or conscience, my religion rejects ethics or conscience. Ethics and conscience are more sensation, lesser sensations when compared to the extremes of both pain and pleasure, and utterly meaningless in comparison to the desire to live.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #40

Post by McCulloch »

theAtheistofnoIllusions wrote:You follow nothing devotedly? There is not one thing which occupies your thoughts more than any other subject? Trust me, you have a religion.
bernee51 wrote: I, however, disagree that atheism pre se fits the common definion of a religion.
There is more to the definition of religion than simply being that which occupies one's thoughts more than any other subject. That is the definition of an obsession. There are many who follow and believe their religions without being obsessed by them. There are those with obsessions that are not religious.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John